downsides to synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides price... are there ANY downsides to using synthetic oil ?

The price difference is a non-issue to me... I just want the best product for my vehicles, and I'm sure many people feel the same way.

I would especially like to hear from our members who swear by dino oil. If dino and synthetic were the same price, would you still choose dino?

Synthetic is no worse then conventional. In terms of endurance, cold flow and oxidation and deposit resistance it can be superior.
There is no disadvantage with synthetic. The question becomes is the premium price proportionate with the performance gain. By most analysis for most situations. It is not.

Well Said!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: tom slick
are you interested in extended oil change intervals? do you operate in harsh conditions?

I understand where you're going with that... but i am just interested in the best product money can buy, regardless of how the vehicle is driven.

Originally Posted By: steve20
answer = AMSOIL and no, I''m not an Amsoil dealer

Steve

Answer to what ???

What vehicle? Is it turbocharged or particular strenuous on the oil? You could use Gold Circuits for all your household lighting, but is it worth the initial investment?

If you are talking about standard 5k 6 month commuter OCI's. It won't make a differnce. The superior performance of synthetics is on the fringes of high heat, low temp, high thermal soak sitations and in some(not all) formulations extended drain capabilities. If your application does not expose the oil to these stresses you are getting no better protection from synthetic than a quality conventional could provide.

You wiull notice I am running PP in my truck. THe reason being is I am in the middle of a relocation and the truck may go beyond the regular OCI and the temps are lower where I am moving. Seeing how busy life can get in a relocation I put in a quality synthetic before I started this personal challenge that may lower my priority for a timely oil change.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
You could use Gold Circuits for all your household lighting, but is it worth the initial investment?

I'm trying to remove price from the equation.

1. Besides price... are there ANY downsides to using synthetic oil ?

2. If dino and synthetic were the same price, would anyone still choose dino?

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
You could use Gold Circuits for all your household lighting, but is it worth the initial investment?

I'm trying to remove price from the equation.

1. Besides price... are there ANY downsides to using synthetic oil ?

2. If dino and synthetic were the same price, would anyone still choose dino?

Not really. Maybe one. It is recomended to NOT switch back to dino once you go syn. Or two.....Old peice of junk that barely runs and leaks oil everywhere may not be a good choice for syn.

2. Not in a million years.

If you are ever doing engine work or need to change out synthetic oil for some reason. Then you look at the cost of the oil you had to change out early......ouch$$$$$$

That and the cost as well as sometimes harder to get a hold of syn oils. More selection of dino oils on the market. Unless you are looking at Amsoil products which are 99% synthetic.

This is the real world andcost analysis is part of it. As I already stated/ Unless the performance requirements are at the envelope of conditions the synthetic will not be superior. Very few are anywhere close to the envelope, despite their personal opnion on how hard their service is.

Everyone still keeps coming back to cost...

To me, the price difference doesn't matter.

I want what is best for my car.

If both synthetic and conventional oils were priced the same, I can think of no reason for choosing conventional oil over synthetic. In fact, if the oil companies could make synthetic oil at the same cost as making conventional oils, we would probably see the end of conventional oils forever. I mean, what would be the point? Are any engines spec'd for conventional only? I certainly have never heard of a specification like that. In fact, when a certain type of oil is specified, it is typically a "synthetic only" specification.

Synthetic oils aren't as green because they take more energy and resources to produce and still cause the same amount of waste. Thats the best reason I can think of to not run synthetic?

Regardelss of price synthetic oils are better..But the performance gain compared to conventional is marginal and the advantage is not normally realized by most vehicles and drivers.

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
It is recomended to NOT switch back to dino once you go syn.

Isn't this a well documented myth ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back