Is there a hazelnut shortage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't find any, unless I buy them with shells or in tiny, totally overpriced bags. Online, a pound goes for around $9 plus $8 shipping, which isn't any less insane. What gives?

Didn't know that the hazelnuts came from Turkey - I will need to inspect the origin before I buy them in the future. I do not buy Turkish products...

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I can only hope there is. Then they'll stop making that awful smelling coffee that my friend drinks.

That's simulated hazelnuts so you need not worry - your friend will continue to enjoy his 'hazelnut flavored' coffee.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan
Didn't know that the hazelnuts came from Turkey - I will need to inspect the origin before I buy them in the future. I do not buy Turkish products...

I suppose I will have to fly up to Oregon and pick the nuts myself.

Two birds with one stone, Pablo!
wink.gif

I'm relieved that hazelnut coffee isn't made with real hazelnuts because it stinks.

Only problem now is how to get Little Tony to stop drinking that vile slop and drink a proper cup o joe.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Can't find any, unless I buy them with shells or in tiny, totally overpriced bags. Online, a pound goes for around $9 plus $8 shipping, which isn't any less insane. What gives?

Readily available raw and bulk at my local Whole Foods Market. Just take what you want and roast them.

Whole Foods? You want me to go near downtown? People stick their hands in the bulk bins. No thanks, I prefer halfway hygienically packaged nuts.

Whole Foods? You want me to go near downtown? People stick their hands in the bulk bins. No thanks, I prefer halfway hygienically packaged nuts.

Reckon it's down to quality of management of your local WF store.

Both local stores in this area have lever-actuated dispensers that make it impossible for anyone to physically touch merchandise prior to dispensation.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Seem to be plenty of hazelnuts to adulterate down here.

http://nutella.com.au/products/ingredients/

Would you believe if I told you I have no once in my life tried Nutella? The thought of putting chocolate goop on bread doesn't sit right with me.

Anyway, I need whole hazelnuts, which I can grind for making gingerbread.

Originally Posted By: Iain

Reckon it's down to quality of management of your local WF store.

Both local stores in this area have lever-actuated dispensers that make it impossible for anyone to physically touch merchandise prior to dispensation.
21.gif

I haven't been to the Whole Foods that's in the city for years. I don't remember what kind of bins or dispensers they have. Maybe I'll check it out.

It's almost $10 for a pound of shelled hazelnuts at WFM. They use a dispenser versus the popular bin with the little shovel. I don't know if anybody stuck his tongue up the nozzle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back