Range Rover Oil Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Orlando, Florida and own a 2003 Range Rover with the M62 BMW engine. The dealer uses 5W50 Castrol synthetic as recommended. I would like to upgrade my oil to one of the following synthetics:

Motul 5W40 (prefer 8100)
Lubro Molly Vol Synthese 5W40
Total 5W40
Mobil 1 0W40 OR 5w40
Royal Purple 5W40
Asmoil European Formula 5w40

Based on my extensive research i need a BMW Long Life Oil LL01-LL-04 due to engine specs

What oil will deliver the best fuel economy, easy start ups etc?

Thanks for the reply! So would you say that I'm probably waisting my money and time trying to locate a german oil listed above?

I'm not sure if Range Rover calls for something different, but BMW's guidelines simply call for a LL-01 oil. What makes that odd is that the LL-01 oils are all either 0W- or 5W- and -30 or -40 meaning the 5W-50 they've been putting wouldn't qualify.

What exactly is 'wrong' with the Syntec 5W-50? You say you want to 'upgrade' from it, what makes it inferior to the other oils you listed?

Originally Posted By: rover03
Thanks for the reply! So would you say that I'm probably wasting my money and time trying to locate a german oil listed above?

Yes, I would definitely say that.

I just left Walmart and the Mobil 1 0W-40 is $6.26 and Royal Purple 5W-30 is $6.72.

My manual states that i can do either oil. Any suggestions on
the better choice for Florida-Orlando area?

I have used M1 0W-40 in many engines and have been pleased with it. I'd definitely pick it over RP 5W-30, especially in a BMW engine.

Still would love to know what is wrong with Syntec 5W-50. Its been shown to be a quality oil in UOA's....

If you are after better economy OR you're observing that your engine is sluggish, then I'd probably go with M1 0W-40/5W-40, as others have said. But it sounds like you just want to use a different oil b/c Syntec is a 'bad' or 'fake' synthetic....

Just curious......

Originally Posted By: rover03
I just left Walmart... and Royal Purple 5W-30 is $6.72.

My manual states that i can do either oil. Any suggestions on
the better choice for Florida-Orlando area?

You can do a 5w-30 in this thing?

RTFM.

BMW rating of LL-01 is key. Actual rating, not the old "meets or exceeds" mumbo marketing sucker speak.

Certified oils are rare in the US market. Besides the Mob 1 0-40 euro spec oil and the GCastol 0-30, the others are even less common. Don't be fooled by the common-sounding names, most are euro-spec and sold-only-in-europe oils by valvoline, pennzoil, and especially castrol. None of the stuff at the big box stores will meet the real LL-01 BMW spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back