Toyota 1ZZ-FE Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

Does anybody know if the Toyota 1ZZ-FE 1794cc four cylinder unit is one of the dreaded sludge-making motors we hear about on this board? I've just swithced over from Mobil 1 5W-30 and 10W-30 to Havoline SM oils in the same grades. I hope this is not a mistake.

The 1zz engine is not one of the Toyota sludge
engines that you have read or heard about.
Do a search of the 1998 thru 2002 and later Toyota Corolla's and Chevrolet Prizm's (same engine) in
the UOA (Used Oil Analysis) section of this board,
you will find that the Toyota 1.8 liter engines do
not kill the oil like the 2.2 ltr 4 cylinders and 6 cyl's in Camry's.
There are some UOA's of these sludge maker engines
that are decent.
smile.gif

quote from Last_Z
quote:

Terry Dyson says it is!

Last_Z,

Terry says the engine has a tendacy to get hot in the head area but the engine does not beat up the oil like the sludge engines do.

Here is a link to a UOA of that Buster's posted of a sludger engine:

Sludger Analysis

Here is the link where Terry referred to the 1ZZ engine getting hot in the head area:

Terry's Statement

Bill

[ April 18, 2005, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Bill ]

quote:

Originally posted by Bill:

Sludger Analysis

Here is the link where Terry referred to the 1ZZ engine getting hot in the head area:

Terry's Statement

Bill

The Sludger Analysis link refers to the V6 Sludger.

See this link Toyota engines with sludge issues for details.

Your Celica engine should be safe in this regard, just don't run ANY oil out too long, if you have doubts then run a UOA.

The 1ZZ and 2ZZ engines for the 2000+ Celica do not have this problem.

One reason the head run hotter is buy design. The thin laser clad valve seats transmitt most of the heat into the head instead of useing the valve stem to radiate heat!

Cincy,

I think you misunderstood the reason I posted the link above,
I purposely placed that UOA of an V6 Camry engine
(known sludger) to show that not all sludge engines will kill oil (sludge oil).

The link you posted:

quote:

See this link Toyota engines with sludge issues for details.

The celica listed on this webpage does not have the 1ZZ-FE engine (120 hp thru 130 hp),
in 1996 & 1997, the Celica had 2 4 cyl. engines:

1) 1.8 liter (105 hp, belt driven not chain driven engine like the 1ZZ-FE) same engine used in the older Corolla's and Chevrolet Prizm's

2) 2.2 liter (135 hp) same engine used in the Camry

The 1ZZ-FE engine is not on the list of 'sludge engines', neither are the 1998 through 2005 Corolla's listed.

Bill

1ZZ isn't a sludge prone design.

I pulled the valve cover off mine with around 57k on it and it was absolutely spotless!No varnish or deposits,just clean metal.

I used M1 5W30 with up to 10k intervals.

I thank all of you for your excellent replies and especially the good links. Thanks!!!!

Guys,

Can you tell me where the PCV Valve is on my 03 Corolla? And what the heck is VSV?

PCV is still PCV. VSV (there are several) is an electrical switch that is actuated by a vacuum change.

VSVs are used to modulate things like the EGR valve from commands from the ECM.

Some engines don't have a PCV valve. They use creative plumbing to ventilate the crankcase. My '89 Supra doesn't have one.

P.S. Since I see replacement PCV valves listed at online part stores, you probably want to still look for one on your Corolla.

[ April 25, 2005, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: 427Z06 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
That's the thing....I don't know where the PCV is on my Corolla!!
mad.gif

It's under the plastic engine cover.It's on the right hand corner of the valve cover(plugs into it).You may or may not need to pull off the cover.

It connects into the air intake? I think I found it. But, it doesn't look like a valve, just like a piece of pipe
wink.gif

Does it breath in both directions, only in, or only out? This is the item which needs to be clear to allow hot gasses to escape to prevent varnish and sludge? It clogs when hot gasses continually condense on its cooler surface? Take it off every two years and take a peek inside, eh?

Sorry for being a newbie
grin.gif

G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back