Oil filter observation and ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed this more than once, and figured I would ask. I don't ever recall start up noise or rattle, unless it was well below 0*F. What I've noticed at times, filter brand doesn't matter, is this. I've taken off filters mounted with holes straight up, holes mounted almost sideways, and holes mounted at some angle to the engine, that some filters were almost full, and others had very little oil.

This happened on Ford as well as GMC vehicles. Does it mean that every filter that comes off with very little oil had a bad Anti Drain Back Valve? Could Purolator, Mobil 1, Fram, and Napa Gold all have QC issues?

Thanks,

Frank D

The Napa Gold are re-labeled Wix filters. I've seen this on Ford 4.9L, Ford 3.0L Chevy 4.3L v6, and Chevy 4.3L V8 engines, with all of the above mentioned filters.

Frank D

I ve had filters come off with little oil in them but do not recall any rattle during start up. I have also had ones the pour out when taken off. Maybe its different for vehicle to vehicle? Or some filters are a little better? I dunno!

I'm trying to figure that out. I've had the same brand filter on the same vehicle come off full, then take a fresh exact same filter and the next OC it comes off with very little oil in it. Just wondering why? It's happened more than one time and with all the above brands, hit or miss. I thought if they were operating properly they'd be full when they came off.

Frank D

Some have little rubber flaps sealing against barbs like this
db_sm-fdp_barbs1.jpg

Some try to seal against little tabs that hold the filter together
db_sm-wst_tabs-valve1.jpg

some are weak they need the weight of the oil to hold them
db_sm-study_st-retention_valve1.jpg

db_sm-lubri-fil_valve1.jpg

and some have a nice valve, but then depend on metal against metal to push it and hold it
db_sm-study_tecfil_retention_valve1.jpg

vertical mounting will always be full ..unless they're inverted. Horizontal can drain forward depending on how high it's mounted in the block.

The ADBV is primarily there to prevent backflushing. The OEM spec's don't include indefinite holding. Vertical mount filters stop back draining when the very top of the center well is exposed. I suspect that those with ADBV are on slightly redesigned engines that have a decent column of oil above the filter.

Thanks for the replies! So would it be normal for a filter angled at lets say anywhere from 35* or more to the block to be full for some oil changes, and partially full at other oil changes? I've taken filters off my 3.0 Aerostar that were full and leaked behind the starter, (A PIA), and some hardly had any oil at all. The same goes for my 4.9L E-150.

Thanks
Frank D

Are those filters that are not holding oil causing any damage, or not working at all? Brand makes no difference.

Thanks
Frank D

To your ears, mostly. 5k is usually tops for a nitrile ..if it holds ...I've never had a silicon produce noise on my engines.

Well if it just my ears I'm OK, only 1 of them works anyway :). Funny thing is over the years I've noticed Mobil 1 filters doing it as well as Pure One, and the cheap Frams. Not all the time, but enough to remember. I just took a Pure One off the 93 Aerostar and it had about 25% of its capacity holding oil. None if it went behind the starter this time when I took it off. Saved a little clean up time.

Frank D

Edit to add:
Maybe my cars are louder than I think, and its the bad ear that makes them sound so good?
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back