5oz of 2 cycle oil per 15-20 gallons good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings:

Could I use a good synthetic 2 cycle oil to add to my fuel tank (Shell V-Power), at the ratio of 4-5 oz? I have been using Lucas UCL for several years, and with the frigid temps forthcoming, I was concerned about the Lucas UCL becoming too thick! The Lucas UCL is a good product, I get about 27-30 mpg on all of my vehicles, including my 2 1995 lincoln town sig models! The engine runs so much smoother and quieter. Another consideration would be Seaform. What say you? Thanks In advance!

Best Regards

Last edited:
I've been using 2-cycle oil at 1 oz per 4 gallons gasoline since last Easter. I figure it will help extend the life of moving components in the fuel system and provide some top end lube. Surely no harm. There was a 12 page monster thread on it starting then and running to last month: LINK

Except for my race vehicles, all others get a mix of 2 cycle oil in gasoline or diesel depending on the type of the vehicle. I experience better fuel economy overall with no problem that I can see. My scooters and my generators also get a mix of 2 cycle oil.

I use either TCW3 or MMO, you can go 4oz/10 gal which is a 320:1 ratio, or cut it back from there. It takes a little testing to find the proper mix, too much costs mpg and power. I like the 4 oz/10 gallon mix in the winter time, for a little extra protection in the cylinder area.

Frank D

Seafoam is good to add.

I lose power on my truck when I put MMO in at the recommended amount.

Today, I am putting in 4 oz. of smokeless 2-cycle oil in 24 gallons to see how that does

Sounds like a plan, it takes some testing. You could also try MMO at about 500:1 which would be 2.56 oz/10 gallons. I bought a gallon of Pennzoil TCW3 oil which I'm going to try and see if I like it better than the MMO in the Aerostar. I really didn't care for the Lucas, and the price seems very high compared to he MMO and TCW3.

JMO,
Frank D

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I like the 4 oz/10 gallon mix in the winter time, for a little extra protection in the cylinder area.
I may try that. Thanks for mentioning it.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I like the 4 oz/10 gallon mix in the winter time, for a little extra protection in the cylinder area.

No problem.......Let me know how you make out. I just upped the dose in my Jeep to that from about a 450:1 +/- mix. The Aerostar has been running the 320:1 (4 oz/10 gal) mix for a little while now, it seems fine.

Frank D

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Make sure you use an ashless oil, like a TC-W3 rated one.

I've either used TCW3 or MMO. Thanks for pointing that out though!

Frank D

Is there really any fuel system "lubrication" going on at these small dosages, or is this more of a placebo effect? Aren't the pumps and injectors designed to be lubricated by the gasoline?

Also, in super-clean burning modern ULEV's, is there really much carbon being built-up in the combustion chambers? Wouldn't a purpose-designed cleaner like Techron or Regane work better?

Alot of this oil-in-gas thinking seems to be a holdover from the "dirty" engines of the 40's to '70's and kind of irrelevant on a modern low-emmisson car, considering many go 200k-plus miles using ordinary, quality unleaded.

Drew

I think it has some benefits, especially in cars that have in tank fuel pumps. Many years ago, I had a fuel gauge hanging up, the float must have been sticking or something like that. A few MMO treatments added to the gas resolved the issue. IIRC I think a fellow BITOG member had a similar experience and had the same results. There are also members posting small gains in mpg using TCW3, Lucas, MMO, etc. Although hard to prove, I do believe it. I see a smoother idle, and the wife notices it as well, I should start tracking mpg again.

YMMV,
Frank D

Originally Posted By: TallPaul

No problem.......Let me know how you make out. I just upped the dose in my Jeep to that from about a 450:1 +/- mix. The Aerostar has been running the 320:1 (4 oz/10 gal) mix for a little while now, it seems fine.

Frank D
Well, I don't think I will have any reportable results. My hope is that it will show up in what does not happen, like a failed fuel pump, or sticking injector.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Is there really any fuel system "lubrication" going on at these small dosages, or is this more of a placebo effect? Aren't the pumps and injectors designed to be lubricated by the gasoline?
Looks like 2 stroke engines go as thin as 100:1, so that would provide lubrication. Maybe I need to go 250:1. Yeah, fuel pump lubed by gasoline, which is kind of like lubing with water. The added oil may help and may show up in a fuel pump that does not go toast at 120,000 miles, who knows.

Don't know what ULEV is but my vehicles are '92, '95, and '00, and are nothing super high tech. All pushrod engnes. Had plenty of carbon in the Aerostar.

What does the 2 stroke oil do to your oxygen sensors?? Any spark plug fouling issues? Just curious...

I haven't changed the plugs in my Aerostar in over 80,000 miles, its running well so I will wait a little longer. It has been fed TCW3 and MMO for probably 70,000 or more miles, it has over 166,000 miles on it. I bought it used with 52,000 miles and didn't change an O2 Sensor yet, I probably should. All sensors, TB, etc. are original.

In the E-150 I run only MMO with an Inverse Oiler for just about its entire life. Its an 88 with about 67,000 miles. I'm the original owner and changed the O2 Sensor at about 50,000 miles, no reason. The plugs come out in perfect condition, and both vehicles have the original cat converters. Both pass NYS emission inspections as well.

Frank D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back