2008 Goldwing oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I wanted to throw this question out to the group. I would appreciate any suggestions you can offer me.

My motorcycle is a 2008 Honda Goldwing, 1800cc, 6 cylinder. The engine oil is shared with the transmission and clutch. Honda cautions against using "energy conserving" oils because they may impeded clutch friction and cause slippage. I picked up some Cheveron Delo 400 15w-40, but am somewhat concerned because the container reads that it meets "CJ4".

So, my question - is the Delo with CJ4 safe to use in my Goldwing ? Do you have a better suggestion as to what oil(s) I can or should use ?

I only have 6,000 miles on the bike, and have used Honda's GN4 10W-40 with the past 2 changes. I would like to be able to purchase my oil closer to home, like an auto parts store, Walmart, Costco, etc. The Honda dealer isn't close by.

Thanks in advance,
Dave W.

I have a 02 Goldwing and I been using Shell 5W-40 synthetic for about 30,000 miles. Not had one problem. I think if you go over to the GL 18000 board and do a search on oil. You will find the 5W-40 Shell is one of the most used oil for a 1800 Wing.

You can find it at Wally World, Advance etc. with no problem.

40ford

Dave,

I have a 2007 Gold Wing, and there are others on this board that also own Gold Wings. I'm sure they will chime in.

Basically, any of the diesel oils will work fine for you. Delvac, Rotella, Delo, etc. These are favorites of the "water-cooled" motorcycle crowd (not just Gold Wings)

Check out the Gold Wing forums and you will find Wings with 200,xxx+ miles using those oils.

Here's an oil analysis by TucsonDon using Rotella in a GL1800
Gold Wing Oil Analysis with Rotella
Another with Delvac in a Honda ST1300 (V-4, water-cooled)
Delvac in an ST1300

And there are many more out there.

Does this answer your question?

Let me know.

Thanks kballowe,

That is a big help for me. I can assume the Delo 400 that I presently have is okay for now (?) I also have an older Shadow Spirit 1100cc with a little over 1800 miles on it. I was hoping I could use the same type oil on both motorcycles since they are both "water cooled" as you mentioned.

What kind of oil are you using on your 2007 Goldwing ?

Dave

While Honda specs 10W-30 for your Wing, only a few of the 10W-30s are safe to use.
Rotella has a 10W-30, as does Amsoil.
Honda has one too.
None of those above are 'energy conserving'; which usually means it's a 30 weight or less.
Not sure about Mobil-1.
There are others but I can't recall all of them.

Dave, I have a total of 51,000 miles on my Wing. First 21,000 was put on by the first owner. He used Honda oil at $8.00+ per quart.

I have a Honda Valkyrie also that I use Shell 5W-40 synthetic in.

40ford

You are fine with the Delo for now and maybe you can switch to the Rotella 5w40 for the next OCI. Either oil will do well for you but the Delo 15w40 is not a syn like the Rotella 5w40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave95sps

I too have a 2007 Goldwing. It specs a 10W-30 oil, but from day one it's had a 40-weight in there. Right now it's got Rotella 15W-40, and there's a gallon of 15W-40 waiting for the next oil change.

The shift from the 10W-40 specification to the 10W-30 specification occurred I *think* between the 06 and 07 model years (or maybe 05 and 06). At any rate, there was no change to the engine during that shift. Honda simply went from specifying a 40-weight to specifying a 30-weight.

My theories on why:

a) Enough testing confirmed it was okay
b) Honda is trying to squeeze every drop of fuel economy and emissions out of the bike, probably to meet California specs or something. A 30-weight oil makes it just a bit easier to do that.

My two cents.

Originally Posted By: dave95sps
Thanks kballowe,

That is a big help for me. I can assume the Delo 400 that I presently have is okay for now (?) I also have an older Shadow Spirit 1100cc with a little over 1800 miles on it. I was hoping I could use the same type oil on both motorcycles since they are both "water cooled" as you mentioned.

Dave

Yes, that's a fine oil. Have you settled on an oil filter or are you using the OEM Honda oil filter? There are many choices there, also.

We're running Rotella in most everything and it works well. What oil change interval are you using?

I have seen oil analysis(s) at 8,000 on the conventional 15w-40 in a Wing which were good - but I think many are running 3-5 thou on the conventional 15W-40 and a little more on the 5W-40 Rotella synthetic.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Gold Wings are relatively "easy" on oil.

kballowe,

I have 2 oil changes with GN4, 10W-40 so far, with just under 6,000 miles on the bike.

I usually change my vehicles oil (cars and bikes) between 3 - 4,000 miles, but have been using dino oil. With the Wing, I'll change it at 3,000. If the oil looks and feels okay, I might stretch it to 4,000, but likely would not exceed that.

I plan on using Honda OEM filters. I found a website that sells a 10 pack for a discounted price, I think $72. My 1100cc Shadow Spirit takes the same filter. I think it's "Honda Direct Line". Try this link:

http://www.hondadirectlineofshadyside.com/stores/product.asp?pid=7277&str=4&ID=607712319

Interestingly, the crush washer is the same size as what I use for my Honda Element and I found a website that sells a 6-pack for $.96. That's HandA Honda out in California. Try this link:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/elementmaint.html

I changed out the GN4 oil with the Delo 400, and I can tell you that I notice a pleasant difference in shifting already...and only 100 miles on the Delo !

Thanks for your continuing help,
Dave

Any filter that fits a Honda Civic or Accord will fit the 6 cylinder Wings.
While Wal-mart (and others) sells cycle filters, I'd still use an auto filter of good quality; They generally have a larger filter media.
Honda still specs an 8000 mile OCI; but I'd never do that unless I was using a synthetic oil.

As Tucson Don mentioned above, current Goldwings are spec'd for 10W-30 (according to the owners manual). The first time I went to the dealer to buy oil, they sold me GN4 10W-40 - told me that is what they recommend for the Goldwing. In fact, they didn't even stock 10W-30.

I find myself here with you guys trying to learn what I can for the best care and feeding of my Goldwing. I really want this bike to last many years and have trouble-free miles if possible. I don't mind paying a few extra dollars for my oil, but I want to use the same oil in my 1100cc Shadow if possible to make things efficient & convenient for me. Dealerships tend to gouge customers so I am reluctant to go there unless I have to. You all have been a great help.

Best wishes for a nice Holiday Season everyone !

Best wishes, Dave

Dave, I run the ST6607 filter from Wally World about $2.50 I think. It is made by Champion Labs the spark plug people. And a gallon of Shell synthetic 5W-40 from WW also for $22.00. And you have a $25.00 oil change that is hard to beat.

I change every 5-6000 miles is both the 02 Wing and the 98 Valkyrie.

40ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back