Exxon Disappering From North East?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that almost overnight, several Exxon stations near me suddenly had "Gulf" signs. Did a search and found THIS ...

///
...Less than five years ago, Gulf acquired from ExxonMobil the exclusive rights to the Exxon brand name in all six New England states and New York, which will last through February 2010. After that, the Exxon brand is supposed to disappear from that region.

However, Gulf has decided to stop distributing the Exxon brand by February 2009, Petrowski said, and the company is currently asking independent retailers to switch immediately.

///

Noticed here in PA that Exxon stations are also disappearing. I think Exxon is just injterested in wholesaling gas to anybody and hang the stations

Exxon indicated recently they don't make much money retailing gas. Gulf oil is closely allied with Cumberland Farms, a MA company that has 1000's of neighborhood quick stops in the NE. (one being built in my town AIS)

Last edited:
There are not many in Philadelphia. You have to REALLY look for them.

In Philly now these are the major gas stations: BP, Sunoco, Luk Oil, and a few Shells.

Around this part of PA, the Exxon stations have been slowly changing over to generic ever since the Exxon-Mobil merger. Exxon used to be the predominant brand around here but I can only think of two stations left now.

Of course, this the the way of all the name brand gas for the last several years. There are almost no name brand stations in this area anymore. We used to have Shell, Gulf, Exxon, Mobil, Texaco, Amoco, Sunoco, and Citgo just to name a few off the top of my head. All but a few Sunoco and Exxon stragglers are gone. All that's left now are the convenience store brands.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Canawler
Around this part of PA, the Exxon stations have been slowly changing over to generic ever since the Exxon-Mobil merger. Exxon used to be the predominant brand around here but I can only think of two stations left now.

Of course, this the the way of all the name brand gas for the last several years. There are almost no name brand stations in this area anymore. We used to have Shell, Gulf, Exxon, Mobil, Texaco, Amoco, Sunoco, and Citgo just to name a few off the top of my head. All but a few Sunoco and Exxon stragglers are gone. All that's left now are the convenience store brands.

Interesting. Here on LI, there are some new Shell, Mobil and re-done Amoco-to-BP stations. Still have Sunoco and Hess stations too.

Overall though, lots of smaller stations have closed-up and sit abandoned or torn down. Unless there is a big c-store attached, there's no money in gas stations. Most of the local garage's get rid of the pumps when the mandatory 20 year tank-replacment time comes due.

Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back