How Long Before I Notice Any Difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I added Redline SI-1 to my Saturn this past weekend. I added the entire 15 oz bottle to half a tank of fuel, and then topped up the tank. I even "rocked" the car a few times to ensure that the product mixed.

It has been 30+ miles since I added the product, and neither my mom or myself has noticed any difference in driveability. The car has 120k miles and it has never seen a fuel system cleaner before. It has never been filled-up with any top-tier fuel either.

How long should it take before I notice a difference in performance? Or should I not expect one? Or did I just waste $9 on more snake oil?
mad.gif

Thanks!

I used to use SI-1 in my 5.0L injected Mustang back in the '90's.

Same as you, dumped the whole bottle in the tank at every oil change; did that for about a year and then quit. I never noticed any difference.

Back then, I lived in CA and used Chevron gasoline (I think it had Techron in it).

Im not convinced that you necessarily ever will.

Cant say Ive ever noted drivability improvements. Changes in the sound of the fuel pump and other things, but other than the potential feel of a tiny bit of additional pep from some adds, nothing...

But open the engine up, pull an injector, etc., and its clean...

100k miles from now, when you don't have clogged injectors, the difference will still not have dawned on you.

It is sort of like running good oil. you never "notice" a difference; the difference is a lack of needing repairs.

Not saying SI-1 doesn't work but my 05 Camry had no differences in performance or fuel economy with 140,000 miles on it and I never used FI cleaner.

Maybe gasoline detergent has gotten better?

Never had the injectors off in 340k on the Jetta. In fact, I've never had a injector problem in any of the engines my family or my engines.

Just buy gas at a place that moves a lot of it and you'll be fine. Never fell for the Top Tier gas line. I did by some FP20 (what ever folks here rave about) and never noticed any thing on the Truck or Taurus. I did notice spending $40.

Take care, Bill

Some years ago I almost did not pass smog check, I then used SI-1 in one tank before the next smog check and the test showed all critical tests were reduced by 90% or more.

No, I did not feel much differences in driving but the smog test shows that SI-1 works in clean up fuel system. I am using it every 2 years before smog check, and I'm buying mostly 1st tier gas because there isn't much different in price, only 2-3 cents a gallon.

I think if your car is in good condition, no oil leak, proper plug temperature range, serviced regularly, you will not notice any difference.

In my case, I notice the difference with less ping due to I use much colder plug and I frequent drive short trip, but it does not solve my rough idling problem.

Interestingly, what solve my idling problem is the old method "throttle body cleaning" by open up manually and spray decent amount cleaner on my MAF sensor.

This car consumes a lot of oil, like 1 qt every 2500 miles, sometimes more.

So, I'm not sure if that would qualify my car as being in "good condition." I've never used Seafoam or any type of induction system cleaner either.

The car received new plugs and wires about 19k ago. The in-line fuel filter was also replaced at that time. The throttle body, IAC and MAF have never been cleaned in its entire life.

1 qt every 2500 miles is not a lot.

1 qt every 500 miles is a lot.

If you have a good air filter on it and change it when dirty, run fresh fuel (buy from a place that sells a LOT, don't get caught up on brand) and change the oil when needed your engine is in good condition.

Bill

I never noticed any difference either after adding it in both newer and older cars. Didn't notice any fuel economy or performance improvement. But if it does help to keep the fuel system clean then I'm satisfied.

For example, if an air filter was super dirty and you replace it with a new one, there would be a noticeable difference. On the other hand if you replaced an air filter at regular intervals, you are not going to necessarily notice a significant difference. But by replacing at regular intervals you help to maintain the same performance level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Critic,
Did you notice a drop in MPG and/or performance? If not, then you probably won't notice any difference because there were no problems to cure. If you had some sluggishness and MPG loss, it may take the full tank to notice the difference or may take another dose prior to your next oil change. I don't think that you wasted your money and you did a good PM for your engine. I like to do one dose per year of Regane or Techron(which ever I one that I can get on sale). Also, adding 1 qt of oil every 2500 miles isn't too bad! There are worst cases in Saturn engines.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
This car consumes a lot of oil, like 1 qt every 2500 miles, sometimes more.

So, I'm not sure if that would qualify my car as being in "good condition." I've never used Seafoam or any type of induction system cleaner either.

The car received new plugs and wires about 19k ago. The in-line fuel filter was also replaced at that time. The throttle body, IAC and MAF have never been cleaned in its entire life.

Throttle body, IAC and MAF clean up might give you better throttle response on light throttle position that will be more noticeable

A really dirty engine often runs rougher before is smooths out and runs better than ever. Run yours for the full amount of fuel you have treated and then see if anything improves.

Auto-Rx has proven effective in cleaning out the carboned & stuck rings on Saturns and other cars and greatly reducing the oil consumption. The oil consumption was reduced from a quart every 2500 miles to a half-quart every 5k. The Saturn is one where the rings must get especially hot, bake carbon in the rings, and they can't flex as needed to control the oil coating the cylinder wall. The Auto-Rx cleaning takes care of this.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
A really dirty engine often runs rougher before is smooths out and runs better than ever. Run yours for the full amount of fuel you have treated and then see if anything improves.

Auto-Rx has proven effective in cleaning out the carboned & stuck rings on Saturns and other cars and greatly reducing the oil consumption. The oil consumption was reduced from a quart every 2500 miles to a half-quart every 5k. The Saturn is one where the rings must get especially hot, bake carbon in the rings, and they can't flex as needed to control the oil coating the cylinder wall. The Auto-Rx cleaning takes care of this.

I used Auto-RX and it made my consumption INCREASE.

It has been over 100 miles since the SI-1 has been added. No noticeable difference at all, according to those who are driving the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Ken2

I used Auto-RX and it made my consumption INCREASE.

It sensed your cheapness and punished you.

200 miles and 7 gallons now, no difference in driveability.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
It sensed your cheapness and punished you.

LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I ask again!
Did you notice and drop of MPG or performance?

Sorry, I forgot to answer this question. No, there had not been a sudden loss in performance or fuel economy prior to the treatment. I added the Redline SI-1 only for preventive maintenance purposes. The only thing that affected fuel economy is that ever since I replaced the upstream Oxygen Sensor with a Bosch OE style unit 6,000 miles ago, the fuel economy seems to be a bit better (and more consistent).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back