seized motor B&S

Status
Not open for further replies.
my son in law started up his Briggs and Stratton "INTEK") 12 hp snowblower with no oil [that realy made my day] oh yes the motor seized up ..he filled it up with oil and got it started again, told me it made a funny sound ,than all [censored] broke loose ...he thinks the conecting rod let go ..tomorrow i have to take it apart and try to repare it ..my question is ??? repair it or get a new motor ???? ..

I'd take a completely hands-off approach, and let this be your SIL's problem. If you repair/replace it for him, you are enabling future screw-ups. I'm just saying...

If it's already broken, what can taking it apart hurt. I say take it apart, if all it needs is a con. rod then you save them alot of money - if it's absolutely trashed, there's nothing more to worry about since you know what happened.

I think it would be cool to take it apart and learn something new...at least for me. Either way pick up a new one.

Yell at him for being too incompetent to operate a bloody snowblower, then offer to fix it if the response is to your liking.

That's a dang shame. That had to be a new/relatively new snowblower if it had a B&S OHV Intek on it.

Joel

Either way you're going to have to dismount the motor, remove the carb, muffler, flywheel & ignition. Not much more work to open it up. Check the cyl & crank for damage, you'll probably find some. Make the decision then.

Definitely take it apart ... just to see what the heck happened. Plus, if you find some really neat twisted metal carnage, you can show him ... show him what carelessness and thoughtlessness does to equipment.

I'd offer to help him replace the motor ... but he buys it, any additional tools you need along with all the beer/coffee you will require while working on it.

And, I'd make HIM do most, if not all of the work. Just stand there and point as things need to come off or be put back on.

If he doesn't want to buy a new motor ... I'd just walk away and leave the torn apart carcass on his garage floor. Some people only learn the hard way.

well i removed the B&S motor from the snowblower ..and took it all apart ...the conecting rod broke and went through the block .the cylinder wall was scored ,[i will buy a short block ]but to my surprize [1] the cylinder has no iron sleeve ] on one side there is no brass bushing for the crankshaft ..the piston wrist pin was still ok .and the crankshaft is still good .no needle bearings on the wrist pins [very cheap made] my son in law has had the SB for 4 years ..he checked the oil level before operating the blower ..found out that one of the plastic plugs on the base came undone ,and the oil poured out ...

i will post pictures later [thanks again for all the replies

You sure you don't want a Chevy SB on that sucker?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: browning300wsm
well i removed the B&S motor from the snowblower ..and took it all apart ...the conecting rod broke and went through the block .the cylinder wall was scored ,[i will buy a short block ]but to my surprize [1] the cylinder has no iron sleeve ] on one side there is no brass bushing for the crankshaft ..the piston wrist pin was still ok .and the crankshaft is still good .no needle bearings on the wrist pins [very cheap made] my son in law has had the SB for 4 years ..he checked the oil level before operating the blower ..found out that one of the plastic plugs on the base came undone ,and the oil poured out ...

i will post pictures later [thanks again for all the replies

A snowblower without an iron liner? Those Tec L-heads were real HD compared to this B&S Intek.

Also, amazing what a quart of 99 cent oil will do for ya.

my son in law has had the SB for 4 years ..he checked the oil level before operating the blower ..found out that one of the plastic plugs on the base came undone ,and the oil poured out ...

I guess the damage can be attributed to poor quality. I know it's a long shot but did you check to make sure it is not under warranty? This is not a cost that you should have to cover for an engine that probably has no more than 50 hours on it.

Good call on the warranty - and unless that dust cover was red or the engine had I/C on the label there shouldn't have been an iron sleeve. That'll be something to check for when you buy the replacement.

the snowblower is 4 years old ..it only has a 2 year warranty ..

the snowblower is 4 years old ...no more warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back