Additives for 10% ethanol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most gasoline now contains 10% ethanol. My vehicle owner's manual says not to use more than 5% ethanol. Does any gasoline now use any new additives to prevent the corrosion to some materials caused by alcohol? If not, are there any third party gasoline additives which prevent alcohol corrosion?

tpitcher:

I'm not just concerned about one vehicle, but the one I referred to as not supposed to use gasoline with more than 5% ethanol is a 1995 Nissan Hardbody with a KA24E engine. I think most newer vehicles can use 10% ethanol. But some gas has 15% ethanol. And I would still like an anti-corrosive additive if the vehicle can't use 100% alcohol.
After I posted the question I was told by Gulf customer service that no anti-corrosive additives have been added to any of the gasoline for sale to the public (as it comes from the pump) in the USA. However, I haven't confirmed this from other manufacturers.

Nothing I know of for this issue.

only thing I can think of is to use a UCL like Lucas or Redline. I do not know if they will do much though.

Most pump gas has 10% ethanol these days, it seems...

Where are you seeing 15% ethanol gasoline?

Id be looking at an UCL or two stroke oil. Problem is that to have a heavy enough film as to be minimally "cut" by the alcohol, you surely need to use a lot. This creates other issues... Does Nissan have any guidance on using higher ethanol content in that engine, since it seems to be the norm?

Unfortunately I fear that this is something that youll have a tough time solving... Anything that is soluble enough in fuel to be able to flow and disperse properly is likely also soluble in alcohol. You need to find something that can be solved in octane but not in ethanol, provides decent lubricity and combusts cleanly. good luck

JHZR2:
I think the law is that gasoline has to be at least 10% ethanol by a date I forgot. I've only read about 15% ethanol gasoline.

I did a little more research on my own. I think Dupont DCI-11 may be the chemical I'm looking for and there may already be some of it in gasohol. I think some additives may have some of it, but I don't know which ones.

I would stay away from the 15% ethanol. By the time you have the Ethanol then the UCL to lower its "harshness" there goes all your fuel economy. Almost 1/4 of whats in you tank is not gas!!!!
LOL

I love government controlled and ethanol FORCED gas.

Originally Posted By: james49
Most gasoline now contains 10% ethanol. My vehicle owner's manual says not to use more than 5% ethanol.

Are you sure your manual doesn't say 5% methanol? I've owned cars whose manuals warned against gas with greater than 5% methanol, but said 10% ethanol blends were okay.

LTVibe:
You're right it says 5% methanol. It say's not to use a gasoline containing more than 10% oxygenate unless the oxygenate is MTBE in which case 15% is OK. Four paragraphs prior to that it had mentioned that ethanol, methanol, and MTBE were oxygenates which may be in gasoline. Problem solved. Thanks a lot.

rg200amp:
The reason ethanol was required to be put in gasoline was because MTBE was damaging the environment and needed to be replaced with something.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: james49
LTVibe:
You're right it says 5% methanol. It say's not to use a gasoline containing more than 10% oxygenate unless the oxygenate is MTBE in which case 15% is OK. Four paragraphs prior to that it had mentioned that ethanol, methanol, and MTBE were oxygenates which may be in gasoline. Problem solved. Thanks a lot.

rg200amp:
The reason ethanol was required to be put in gasoline was because MTBE was damaging the environment and needed to be replaced with something.

Most of the mandated blended fuel is "up to" 10% ethanol, so you're not likely to have an issue.

You're right about the replacement of MTBE, but the original idea was a cleaner burning fuel. By the time real data got out that you burn more ethanol blended fuel than without and the environmental impact of the refineries, it was too late to change things.

That stuff is on clearance at my two local Walmarts for $7.

According to the MSDS it's over 95% "Solvent Naphtha (Petroleum) , Heavy Aliphatic" and less than 0.5% "Proprietary Organic Compounds".

I sure wish we could get some expert advice on e-10, phase separation, and these additive claims.

I'm a skeptic. Stabil makes no outrageous claims and in an e-mail their tech. told me that no chemical can prevent phase separation.

Star Bright has a fancy web page, but their claims seem rather outrageous. They say that their product does prevent phase separation.

Pri G has the fanciest web page, backed with "scientific research" to back up it's claims. But, it seems just a bit "too good to be true". Besides phase separation, they claim their product can rejuvenate 5 year old gasoline.

Anyone know the truth??? Please chime in.

Somewhere on the Ask the Marvel Mechanic Website IIRC it addresses MMO in gas containing 10% Ethanol. They suggest using it for all the benefits associated with adding MMO to gas. It might be worth checking the site out.

There are several locations in our town(Murfreesboro, TN.) whose pumps no longer have the ethanol stickers. Now, I have always been told that stations don't make much money selling gas instead making it from the "stuff" folks buy when they go inside the store. So I was a bit skeptical when I saw where a sticker used to be on the pump(rectangular glue spot) but there was no ads on the big sign that they have no ethanol gas while other places do advertise no ethanol. If I were the store owner knowing how much better engines run with E-0 fuel I would advertise E-0 just to get the "stuff" sales.
From reading other posts eluding to a federal MANDATORY ethanol blend by a certain date was wondering if after that date the stations wouldn't necessarily have to post the stickers anymore. Are they trying to sneak something else thru the backdoor? Thanks for your reply.

In Florida. Our wonderful green govenor Charlie Crist, bragged about mandating all fuel in Florida to "renewable energy" fuel of 10% ethanol by a so-so date. Which has already passed. The boaters are livid in this state and the result is alot of Marina's and propane dealers have opened up "non" ethonal gas outlets, because they have the permits already in place for selling fuels. The non ethanol fuel is available for more money at these places, Ive seen it for .40 a gallon to a 1.00 more a gallon and its selling like hotcakes. I have used it and the ethanol gas in the quads with no noticable performance difference, I would say that the ethanol gas is a problem though with storage and starting the two stroke quads is difficult even after only sitting two weeks, were the non ethanol gas in the same model did not cause problems. I look for this ethanol mandate to go away with the election of a new govenor, because Florida being surrounded by water on three sides, this is very unpopular here. I think if the problem persists, I will bypass the oil injection and premix the gas. Ethanol gas seems to stabilize with two stroke oil in it, I have a Yamaha Dt175 and bypassed the oil injection and it will sit for months with premix/ethanol gas in it with no problems starting or riding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back