Mercon V as power steering fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My jaguar S-type owner's manual states that Mercon V is the recomended fluid for the power steering unit. Does anyone else own a FoMoCo vehicle that shares this spec? What is the board consensus on using a dedicated PS fluid in an app that specs ATF?

Toyota recommends ATF for PS also. Some say it handles heat better than PS fluid and it doesn't get as "gummed up?".

I use Merc V in every vehicle power steering I work on. That includes Fords and a Vibe. PS brand fluid is awfully thin and tends to cause alot of whining in Ford's.

I use it and ATF+4. Mercon and DexIII were the same fluid, so how far can MercV be from the Dex III that many vehicles call for. I opt for ATF+4 on a hunch that it's low friction properties might translate well to pump performance.

Ford issued a TSB recommending the use of Mercon V for all power steering systems that called for Mercon.

They did not extend this to power steering systems that call for Type F, but I've used Mercon and Mercon V in those with no problem at all.

OK, seems like most people would opt for the trans fluid.

What about for my 01 Caddy Deville? I'm using Valvoline Syn Power PS fluid in it with frequent turkey baster changes, could I use Mercon V in this also?

Originally Posted By: UncleRunkle
OK, seems like most people would opt for the trans fluid.

What about for my 01 Caddy Deville? I'm using Valvoline Syn Power PS fluid in it with frequent turkey baster changes, could I use Mercon V in this also?

Last I recall, those caddies take regular PSF, so just use Valvoline synpower PSF.

As for cars that take ATF, Mercon V is an excellent choice. I put M1 synthetic Mercon V in my dad's Lexus ES300, and it was great. I put synthetic blend Quaker State Mercon V in mom's Toyota Solara, and it was okay.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Ford issued a TSB recommending the use of Mercon V for all power steering systems that called for Mercon.

They did not extend this to power steering systems that call for Type F, but I've used Mercon and Mercon V in those with no problem at all.

In my 1996 Contour I continue to use Type F. I left the factory fill in for 9 years, "my bad
blush.gif
" . It wasn't black but a darker red after all that time, good shape for 9 years though. I've replaced several quarts with Valvoline and WalMart's Type F via the turkey baster method. So far after 13 years come this December it steers great and doesn't leak. I don't want to "tamper" with success ;).

My 2002 F-150 came with Mercon in the PS. Turned black after 3 years. I turkey based it with several quarts of WalMart Mercon and now ran 2 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF, Mercon grade. We'll see if my winter PS "whining" is better.

I've also added some LC20 to both PS units as per directions.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

In my 1996 Contour I continue to use Type F. I left the factory fill in for 9 years, "my bad
blush.gif
" . It wasn't black but a darker red after all that time, good shape for 9 years though. I've replaced several quarts with Valvoline and WalMart's Type F via the turkey baster method. So far after 13 years come this December it steers great and doesn't leak. I don't want to "tamper" with success ;).

My 2002 F-150 came with Mercon in the PS. Turned black after 3 years. I turkey based it with several quarts of WalMart Mercon and now ran 2 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF, Mercon grade. We'll see if my winter PS "whining" is better.

I've also added some LC20 to both PS units as per directions.

Whimsey

That's funny, before I upgraded to the Jag I drove a 96 Contour "4 banga and a 5 speed" for 10 years, I never once replaced or thought about the PS fluid, even with oversized tires, lowered suspension, and several autocross/track events, there was never a problem with the PS system. These larger heavier cars (luxo boats) I have now seems I have to tend to their needs a bit more often.

OK so Valvoline full syn Mercon V is already in the jags transmission, guess I'll start turkey bastin' the PS system, and I'll just keep with the Valvoline PS fluid for the Caddy.

Thanks everybody.

The Contour has a power steering cooler. The PS fluid looked pretty bad in my '95 Contour when it had about 50K on it. I used Trak Auto Type F.

That was the last Type F I ever bought. I've since been using Mercon in all Ford power steering systems, including in my 1988 Mustang GT which at 188,000 miles is on the original rack and pump.

The Contour has a power steering cooler. The PS fluid looked pretty bad in my '95 Contour when it had about 50K on it. I used Trak Auto Type F.

That was the last Type F I ever bought. I've since been using Mercon in all Ford power steering systems, including in my 1988 Mustang GT which at 188,000 miles is on the original rack and pump.

Interesting because when I changed my factory PS fluid out I had around 60,000 miles on the Contour but it still looked good, only slightly darker, no unusual smell for an ATF fluid. Using the "turkey baster" method is so easy to do. Annually I'll continue to use the Type F fluid since it's worked for me.

Whimsey

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back