Good, simple home defense gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZZman
How about some Claymore mines strung up around the room and facing the window and door. Then have the remote control detonator in the night stand!

Or a good paranoid dog.

**Always best to keep em out first.

You want a new house every so often?

Or a good paranoid dog.

I've got one of those. He'll look out the blinds, and see neighbors and huff at them. He hears and see's everything, and if he don't like it he barks or huffs.

his bark is way worse than his bite.

russiandogyv3.jpg

I keep my .22 Iver Johnson M1 Carbine replica where I can get to it in my bedroom and keep my .40 S&W Sigma in my car. My 1/2 Pit 1/2 German Shepard rounds out the bill.

Where could I find a good, black 18" barrel for a Remington 870 at a good price? I'm going to add an adjustable stock with pistol grip, and the short barrel for home defense. I'll add a light later, and maybe a laser. I want to pump once, and hopefully the intruder will flee. If not, and I have to shoot, I don't want to miss, and I want the dude DEAD. ("oo" buck, 3 1/2 inch super-mag, or 3", if that is all the 18" barrel will take)

They had Black Friday wood stock 3in chamber Rem 870s for $225 at a local store, so just check your area. It looks like Remington is trying to unload the older 3in chamber guns at a good price. The 3 1/2 chamber were $260. It looks like the 18in barrel guns sold out first.

I just need the barrel. I've got an 870 Express Super Mag, but it has a 26" barrel. I saw one at Cabela's for $119, but it did not say if it could handle 3" or 3 1/2.

You could cut your barrel down instead of buying a new one, if you won't have use for a long barrel again.

I cut my 26" barrel down myself. I measured, then found the nearest rib support that was past 18" and wrapped tape around the barrel as a guide. I used a nice new Dewalt hacksaw blade (best I've ever found) and went around and round the barrel cutting it slowly. Once it's off, file it smooth and put some paint or cold bluing on the metal. here's a pic

BTW, the barrel should be stamped with its chamber length.

Originally Posted By: Buffman

Or a good paranoid dog.

I've got one of those. He'll look out the blinds, and see neighbors and huff at them. He hears and see's everything, and if he don't like it he barks or huffs.

his bark is way worse than his bite.

russiandogyv3.jpg

where did you get that dog...I had to give mine away to a shelter a few years ago in Bay City, MI and here is his puppy pic...looks alot like yours.
e685.jpg

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
ColtAnaconda.jpg

Got one of them too! not quite as slick, nor is the fit and finish quite as good as a Python, but it has the lightest single action trigger pull of any factory gun I've ever fired. Almost scairy light!.

NOT what I'd consider a good simple home defense gun though.

Bob

Yeah, Anacondas are awesome, have a couple myself. If Magnum loads are too much, how about Specials? Cowboy loads? They'd make it a decent HD gun don't you think? Although considering the amount of lead it shoots for the bulk, a good mid-sized .357 Magnum would probably be a better choice.

Anyone else use "pepper spray" as home defense?

I have a number of weapons, but with kids I keep them locked in the safe. With the pepper spray my wife isn't afraid to use it and if one of my kids gets into it is a much simpler lesson for them to learn....

Anyone else out there agree?

I've used pepper spray and watched pepper foam (works better overall) and for some people it just ticks them off more. Esp if they are on something. After a good shot in BOTH eyes and up their nose they kept coming after me.

A good 5 cell Maglight swung by someone 6ft 6 works better.
grin2.gif
Esp if I take out their knee.
shocked2.gif

Pepper is not something that I'd want to depend on. Stun Guns also. Tazers are a different story. Everytime *IF* you get the electrodes stuck in them (and I've seen them bounce off due to non direct shot) If they bounce off, throw the @#^%$& thing at them because that is all it is good for. One shot only. You can take the cartridge out and its a stun gun.

Get a quick access safe for a single firearm. They are under $100. A cable lock put thru a loaded pump shotgun left in the closet works well.

My wife has quick access to quite a few firearms and knows how to use them. We have gone through training as a family on what to do for most situations.

Hopefully we will never need to use them.
smirk2.gif

bill

PS:
welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
Where could I find a good, black 18" barrel for a Remington 870 at a good price? I'm going to add an adjustable stock with pistol grip, and the short barrel for home defense. I'll add a light later, and maybe a laser. I want to pump once, and hopefully the intruder will flee. If not, and I have to shoot, I don't want to miss, and I want the dude DEAD. ("oo" buck, 3 1/2 inch super-mag, or 3", if that is all the 18" barrel will take)

Try Brownells or MidwayUSA - both are good to deal with .

Also try Havlin sales IIRC they had some 870 18" barrels in their closeout section recently .

I am a certified Taser instructor and authorized dealer. Tasers have a 96% instant stop rating. The new Tasers (C2 & X26) use shaped pulse technology. The probes do not have to contact skin. As long as you hit clothing the shaped pulse will penetrate 2 inches. It even incapacitates thru a bullet-proof vest.
With the civilian C2, the bad guy flounders around on the pavement for 30 seconds with each push of the trigger- press again for another 30 second jolt.
All Tasers have stungun capability with or without the cartridge.
Send me a PM and will get you a discount if you want a discount or more info.

96% is great !

But what if there are two or three bad guys , or you miss ...

I'm not knocking the Taser , but until they make one with a high capacity magazine I'll stick with lead .

Originally Posted By: stumpman
I am a certified Taser instructor and authorized dealer. Tasers have a 96% instant stop rating. The new Tasers (C2 & X26) use shaped pulse technology. The probes do not have to contact skin. As long as you hit clothing the shaped pulse will penetrate 2 inches. It even incapacitates thru a bullet-proof vest.
With the civilian C2, the bad guy flounders around on the pavement for 30 seconds with each push of the trigger- press again for another 30 second jolt.
All Tasers have stungun capability with or without the cartridge.
Send me a PM and will get you a discount if you want a discount or more info.
How about leather vests? Seen the probs stick to but not work on those. Also if the perp moves quite a bit before the probes hit, they will deflect and not work.

Also, how many jolts do you get with a battery pack below freezing weather?

Trust me, I've seen hundreds of people being Tasered and most of the time it works great. But I also have seen many that did not work. And plan B got real messy...

Much better than a stun gun or pepper. But no match for a weapon.

Thanks, bill

Bill- I agree it's no match for a weapon when lethal force is justified. But even when justified, there will be lawsuits and second guessing when you take a life.

I have seen no problem penetrating leather coats. I know for a fact it will work thru a Carhart insulated vest. I was on the recieving end!

The C2 battery pack has a 10 year shelf life and is good for at least 50 30 second firings. Freezing weather may shorten the lithium battery pack a little, but there is a LED indicator to warn when weak.

"Bill- I agree it's no match for a weapon when lethal force is justified. But even when justified, there will be lawsuits and second guessing when you take a life." Stumpman

What would be the legalities, litigation prospect, etc. if a taser is used (by civilian) and then deemed not necessary,,other than leaving some vindictive S. O. B. really wanting (and maybe justifiably so) to KILL you? As I would be.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back