Canadian Co-op 0W40 DMO???

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at the bottom of the jug and it has 4 or 5 stars (can't remember which) molded in, then it is an Esso product as Addyguy pointed out, namely XD-3 full PAO synthetic HDEO. A truly world class oil. I have seen threads where a number of our US BITOG members in northern states cross the border to get this.

You can also get this at Wal-mart and Alberta UFA stores (marketed at UFA as "Polar Plus").

I think the original poster inquired about Co-op oil...IIRC correctly, it is not an Esso product. I remember their HDEO's coming in white containers not long ago, and they did not have the three star emblem on the bottom.
That aside, I don't know who makes their products...If it was Esso I wouldn't be surprised, but their packaging seems to say otherwise.

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
I think the original poster inquired about Co-op oil...IIRC correctly, it is not an Esso product. I remember their HDEO's coming in white containers not long ago, and they did not have the three star emblem on the bottom.
That aside, I don't know who makes their products...If it was Esso I wouldn't be surprised, but their packaging seems to say otherwise.

I read the thread...really good. I guess it is an Esso product after all, just with limited info/or hard to acquire info.
cheers3.gif

I`m thinking next winter of putting it in my 91 Chevy truck that has a gas engine. I think it will be alright, only has 172,000 kms on it.

Last edited:
All the oils mentioned in this thread are fine for use in your truck. I am loving the XD3 in my 4 banger truck. I may look at the price difference next time i want to change the oil in it.

I have discussed DMO with my Rural agricultural Co-op rep and seen the specific Co-op DMO spec sheets. The base stock of DMO syn oil IS Esso group 1V POA, the add pack IS DIFFERENT from XD3. Co-op takes the raw Esso base stock and adds thier own add pack (or has Esso do their add pack to Co-op specs) to meet the API CI-4/SL. I know the Esso XD3 syn spec numbers by memory, the DMO numbers were just a little shy of the Esso specs when I viewed the DMO specs, very close though, to close to call. Co-op has always had a business relationship with Esso for decades as I have talked to Co-op reps over many years on this. I live in a huge agricultural area here where a lot of farm equipment and rural truck diesels operate, huge Co-op volume sales on DMO here.

If you like XD3 syn in your gas engines as I do then this DMO is pretty much equal in my opinion.

Personally, I go to UFA and buy the Polar Plus which is actually real XD3 0-30 or 0-40. I used DMO a couple times when I did not have time to drive the 60 miles to my nearest UFA just over the Alberta border. The DMO cost was equal to XD3 at time when I bought DMO in a 12 litre flat, $1.00 less per litre compared to buying individual litre quantities of DMO, UFA has same price format of charging $1.00 more per litre in separate litre bottles compared to their 5 litre jugs.

UFA also carries Delo 400 CI-4 which looks like a great oil too for same price as the Polar Plus (XD3), I like UFA for selection of oils compared to Co-op, personal choice.

Cyprs

I now remember asking my co-op agricultural rep for a photo copy of the DMO spec sheet, I remember bringing it home, it is probably in my huge stack of oil spec sheets, if I can find it then I will post the specs.

Cyprs

Geeeeze, I have a one man thread going here, sorry guys.

Here is info off the DMO Co-op spec sheet which I managed to dig up.

The 5-30 version of DMO/SL is a semi syn version, the 0-40 IS specified as a full group 1V base oil, (as we know it has to be 99.9% chance it is Esso HDEO)

It is rated for diesel and gas engines, including all obsolete API specs. It also states that it exceeds recommendations for extended service by John Deere and Case engines.

It does make one claim which is emphatically underlined, quote: "D-MO SL is not compatible with all gasoline emission systems." That does not deter me or most XD3 syn oil gasser users, I believe the zinc is less in DMO than XD3 so if anything the DMO is slightly safer for cats.

You can get DMO syn in 1, 5, 20 and 205 litre quantities.

Specs (very close to XD3, same group 1V base stock in 0-40 DMO version as XD3)

0-40 DMO specs:
Visc @ 40C is 57.8
Visc @ 100C is 15.4
Visc index is 154
Pour point is -57C
Ash is 1.43
Zinc is 1421 ppm
TBN is 11.2 (full point less than XD3)
CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF/SL, SJ, SH

5-30 DMO/SL (semi syn DMO blend which is probably much like the original semi syn XD3 0-30 about 6-7 years ago before the big switch to pure syn in XD3 HDEO syn, remember when we had to look on the XD3 labels for the red triangle marked "synthetic" to get 100% pure syn version during the switch over period? without the red triangle the XD3 0-30 was still semi blend?)

Visc @ 40C is 61.5
Visc @ 100C is 10.80
Visc index is 144
Pour point is -36C
Ash is 1.43
Zinc is 1421 ppm
TBN is 11.2
same API as the 0-40 DMO/SL group 1V

The 0-40 version of DMO is very close to XD3 syn, the DMO 5-30 version is NOT equal to the XD3 0-30.

Cyprs

Originally Posted By: Cyprs
Geeeeze, I have a one man thread going here, sorry guys.

No need to apologize when you are providing such useful information. Even if I never need to buy HDEO in AB or SK, it's still good to know.

Does anyone know if the 0w40 viscosity meets the Mercedes Benz 229.3 specification? I couldn't see that listed in any of the supporting documentation in either of the threads.

Thanks,

Jonathan

thanks TR, I kicked myself for not immediately looking for the spec sheet rather than make my second post.

Cyprs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back