grundfos 20-42 water circulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

Should a grundfos water circulator for a single zone hot water system be near-silent? Is there any good way to ensure that it is working? My parents taco cirulator (5 zone system) makes a bit of noise so you an at least know its running, granted it is a much larger motor.

Also, does the I, II, III settings get chosen based upon how many stories you have in your home?

I get heat all over. However I doubt that when the house was originally built, there were hot water circulator pumps in the system (just gravity).

Any thoughts???

Thanks,

JMH

any thoughts on ho to determine the best pump speed for a single zone, two heated stories 85 year old home?

Based on that information, it will be a trial and error test. Try the highest speed without causing excessive water noise flowing through the pipes. However, too low of a speed and all of the heat is lost before it makes it to the end of the loop. So like everything else, it is a balancing act.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Hello,

Should a grundfos water circulator for a single zone hot water system be near-silent? Is there any good way to ensure that it is working? My parents taco cirulator (5 zone system) makes a bit of noise so you an at least know its running, granted it is a much larger motor.

Also, does the I, II, III settings get chosen based upon how many stories you have in your home?

I get heat all over. However I doubt that when the house was originally built, there were hot water circulator pumps in the system (just gravity).

Any thoughts???

Thanks,

JMH
Grunfoss pumps are the quietest Ive ever dealt with, most often I cant tell unless I use an amp probe, or some have a center plug that can be removed with a screw driver, to reveal a spinning impeller in the center.
Grundfos-UP15-18B5-rw-10935-3087.jpg

My Taco circulator which is pretty large motor (single zone) to 8 radiators on a former steam system requires lubrication once or twice a year.

i just place a screw driver on the the pump to make sure its running. and personaly i would just set the pump on the lowest setting unless you are having trouble with the rooms far away from the boiler keeping comfortable, esp when the temps are mild and the run time isnt long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back