Oil Suggestion for Jeep 4.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter just bought a used Jeep Grand Cherokee and I'm wondering what oil you guys would suggest. It's a 2000 model, 4.7L non-HO V8, 70,000 miles. The UOA section was no help.

We need to get a manual since it didn't come with one, but I assume 5W-30 or 10W-30 were specified when it was built.

We would rather use a synthetic and I'm wondering if the 4.7L would do better with one of the 5W-40 oils like the 4.0L inline six seems to, or if I should stick to 5W-30.

Suggestions welcome but no GC please. It's not readily available around here and I can't see my daughter or her husband driving around searching for it.

Jim

I'd run one batch of Delvac 1 in the engine for 7k-8k miles to clean out any pre-existing sludge/varnish deposits. It has been my observation that D1 cleans much better than the PAO based, Mobil 1 formulations. I believe George Morrisons' (from AVLube) comments about Mobil 1 being almost entirely PAO based since the supersyn first came out. I think they have overcome the solvency issue with PAO's and suspension of additives. (I believe that Amsoil has as well, FWIW)

Following this cleanout, I"d run the Mobil 1, 5w-30 "Extended Performance" formula, which is still a 12 TBN oil. You can step out the drain intervals (starting @ 7500 miles) using oil analysis. A 10,000 mile oil/filter change interval (w/ the Mobil 1 or Amsoil filters) should turn out to be about right and give you perhaps a 1.25 margin of safety.

Ted

Delvac-1 may be harder to find than GC.

Myself, I would run an Auto-RX with Mobil Clean 5000 -- then use Mobil-1 EP 5W-30 with one quart of 15W-50 to make it a thicker 30W.

I like TooSlick's recommendation, especially for a family member's vehicle where the Auto Rx routine may be too complicated.

With high TBN & PAO, the Delvac HDEO can creep into ring packs & help clean out deposits.

Actually, any HDEO with the higher solvency of the base oils & adds, will have a cleaning effect over a couple of short 1k OCI's.

The 4.7 is a totally different animal compared to the old tech 4.0. Tighter internal clearances, overhead cams, smaller bearings, non-inline config, etc. Not your average 4.0, so what works for one may not work for the other.

You can call any Jeep dealer and they'll tell you what grade the factory calls for in the 4.7. My guess is either 5W30 or 10W30 on a temp range scale where either are acceptable. For the sake of availability, 10W30 Mobil 1 is probably a good choice because it's everywhere.

[ April 10, 2005, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: 99 ]

I had a 2001 Dakota with the 4.7 V8. I feed it everything from 5W30-15W50. In the summer when I would tow and hual a lot of stuff my dealership recomended 15W50 M1 inspite of what the owners manual called for wich was 5W30 year round. In the winter I mostly ran M1 10W30 and it did just fine with that. I used an oversized MotorCraft FL1A oil filter most of the time.

Now they say hind sight is 20/20 so with that said I would now run a good 5W40 year round! M1 TSUV 5W40,Amsoil 5W40,Redline 5W40,and Delvac-1 5W40. If you want a GIII synthetic Rotella-T Synthetic comes to mind. A semi-synthetic/blend that comes to mind is Schaffers 5W40.

I live in Michigan and I ran Redline 5W40 synthetic down to -18°F one year with no cold start issues of pumpability problems at all!

P.S. If they are really bad about shooting past oil change intervals and such it might not be a bad idea to consider M1EP as TooSlick suggests. The only thing I do not like about TooSlicks suggestion is the 5W30. I would rather use the M1EP 10W30 year round after the Delvac-1!

[ April 10, 2005, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

I guess I've picked up a couple things around here in the time I've spent. I was going to suggest an Auto-Rx treatment but I know they won't keep track of things well enough to do it. So I thought about Truck & SUV or Delvac 1 first.

I can get Delvac 1 at the local Farm and Fleet and all the Walmarts have T&SUV. Only one Autozone in the area has GC and it's the 05 date code stuff which I won't be using until I see some results from it...

If yu want to see some 4.7L UOA's just do a search on my name. I had one in my '02 Ram 1500. I love that little motor. DC uses it in alot of different apps.

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:

Good find. The owner of the site is on JeepsUnlimited. There is a version of it for the WJ (1999-2004 Grand Cherokee). www.wjjeeps.com

Carlo

Shouldn't you be studying?
nono.gif

grin.gif
grin.gif

Tim

quote:

Originally posted by Tim:

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:

Good find. The owner of the site is on JeepsUnlimited. There is a version of it for the WJ (1999-2004 Grand Cherokee). www.wjjeeps.com

Carlo

Shouldn't you be studying?
nono.gif

grin.gif
grin.gif

Tim

HAHAHA.... i finished my english paper. I had a chem test today. Math test Friday... not too bad of a week... if i post next week... shoot me... Macroeconomics test on Friday, April 22.

quote:

Originally posted by 99:

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
Is this the same 4.7 engine? This engine must be used in a lot of different applications.

http://consumeraffairs.com/automotive/dodge_dur_oil.html

No. The sludged up engines they're referring to are the 318s. Scary stuff. I feel sorry for those people...Dodge is really screwing them over.

I've found that website many times, and I don't believe for one second that these people are maintaining these engines the way they claim to be. The Dodge Magnum 318/360 is one of the most indestructible engines ever made, and you'd really have to be doing something wrong to cause the problems these people claim. Just look at the wording...These people are probably some of the most car-dumb people on the planet.
I've seen the 318s in service that would make most engines vomit a crankshaft, and they keep running strong.

I must agree with GT Mike. I'm an old F*rt but have discovered over the years that the 318 is one of the best engines Chrysler ever produced. Along with the 225 slant six.

the 318 and 360 isnt sludge monsters. those people must not change the oil very often. I know alot of dakota owners with over 200,000 miles on them and no probs.

I have the 4.7 in my 03 dakota. I ran mostly 5w-30 and ran just fine. one problem with the 40 to 50 w oils is your daughters gas mileage will go down hill fast.

but in the end its what you want to use. but I dont see why people are gun shy on running a 5w 30 oil and thinks thicker is always better.

I have a 4.7L in a Grand Cherokee. I run Redline 5W30. The manual calls for 5W30 oil. I've done UOAs, this engine really isn't very hard on oil at all. I off road my cherokee, hence the Redline, but if I didn't abuse it I'd be running a semi-syn out to 7500 mile OCI or so.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back