SPLIT BALL JOINT BOOT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this question but here goes.....I was greasing the front end on the 93 Aerostar and noticed the right upper ball joint boot is split and oozing grease. The boot still holds grease but is obviously split. The ball joint itself is still good.

Is there anything other than replacing the ball joint, or more frequent greasing that can be done to salvage the boot, and save the ball joint from collecting junk and wearing out? Is there something that can be put around it, without taking it apart to repair the boot?

Thanks
Frank D

Installing a high quality new boot would be my only suggestion. I remember boots frequently going bad on my older cars (VW, Chevy, Buick) that I had bought used. The newer cars seem to have much better boots. Neither of my two vehicles, and one is now over 12 years old, has needed a new boot yet. I do clean and inspect the boots at every oil change. I have not yet seen even any hairline cracks. The boots must be made from some sort of synthetic rubber.

Using a split boot to repair the broken boot makes for a cheap repair that won't last. Don't bother going that route.

With domestics, there's no such thing called split ball joint boot (although some imports ball joint does have user-replaceable 1-pc dust boot available).

Just bite the bullet and replace the ball joint with something better quality.

Q.

You mean the boot on the cv shaft, right?

Call a parts store and see how much it is. The last one I did was around $70. By the time you get everything taken apart to fix it, I'd just buy the whole thing rather than just a boot.

Originally Posted By: ksJoe
You mean the boot on the cv shaft, right?

Call a parts store and see how much it is. The last one I did was around $70. By the time you get everything taken apart to fix it, I'd just buy the whole thing rather than just a boot.

No I was referring to the rubber boot that holds the grease inside of the upper ball joint. I just had a front end alignment and everything according to the tech was nice and tight and not in need of any repair. I guess he didn't check the rubber for splits and tears. It came to my attention doing a pre-winter grease job. I didn't think there was a repair other than replacing it. I'll wait until until spring, since changing it will require another alignment, and expenses I can't swing at the moment.

Thanks
Frank D

Some boots have a weep hole to prevent over filling and some don't. The split is usually caused by to much greash pressure i.e. over filling. If the boot is ripped bad then it should be replaced but, if only weeping then grease slightly more often.

I really shouldn't complain, the ball joints have close to 165,000 miles on them. I just replaced 4 tires and had an alignment done, the tech stated the front end was good and tight. I doubt that it split from to much pressure, I think age got it, its a 93.

Thanks,
Frank D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back