amsoil or royal purple 15w40 for a 06 cummins 5.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
what is a better oil or is there a difference? also I plan on putting the amsoil bypass filter kit on.
thanks Richard

Royal Purple would be my pick. I have never used oil while using it, and I think engines run smoother with it. I've used it in gas and diesel engines. I know a lot of people here love their Amsoil, but over and over I see their 25,000 mile oil not lasting half that in the uoa reports. Or if it does they have added as much oil as the vehicle holds which I don't really think you could even say that is the same oci. Then everyone who buys oil from amsoil becomes a dealer. I've just never been a fan of their marketing.

Richard- So are you only open to these two brands of synthetic? If not Redline makes a very good Diesel motor oil that is much more robust than Royal Purple and uses group V base stocks. I would look into several brands before making my final decision. The bypass offered by amsoil is one of the best you will find!

Originally Posted By: iunderpressure
Then everyone who buys oil from amsoil becomes a dealer. I've just never been a fan of their marketing.

So how much Amsoil can I interest you in today?
LOL.gif
I'll have an info packet on becoming a dealer in the mail by the end of the day.
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure it is a fine oil, it's a group IV oil. I just don't like how they sell it and how they claim very long oci's that i very rarely see happen. I'm sure 12,000-15,000 you would be fine, but the 25,000 is what i'm talking about.

Now Red Line, My choice is usually between Royal Purple and Red Line. It's just Red Line is harder to find around me. I would have to order it, and Royal Purple is 7.50/qt at Auto Zone. I have never used Red Line. My vehicle has used RP since its first oil change, so its got that going for it.

Oh, I already have an info packet on becoming a dealer. I asked for info on their oil and they sent me a dealer recuiting pack. hehe

I`ve got Royal Purple 15W40 in my Z right now,and my car runs incredible with it. RP 20W50 is going in on my next oci since it will already be warming up here in south Tx.

Doesn’t Royal Purple use a lot of Moly? And doesn’t Cummings claim moly causes valvetrain wear or something and are totally against using it.

Quote:
Mobil Delvac 1 Meets or Exceeds the following industry and builder specifications:
5W-40
API CI-4 PLUS/CI-4/CH-4/CG-4/CF/SL/SJ
ACEA E7/E5/E4/E3
Caterpillar ECF-1
Cummins CES 20072/20071
Detroit Diesel Power Guard Oil Specification
Ford WSS-M2C171-D
Global DHD-1
JASO DH-1

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 has the following builder approvals:
5W-40
Cummins CES 20078/20077/20076/20075
Mack EO-N Premium Plus 03, EO-M Plus
Mercedes Benz 228.5
Volvo VDS-3, VDS-2

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 also recommended for use in applications requiring:
5W-40
Renault RVI RXD

It would appear as though Cummins approves the use of the Delvac 1.

Originally Posted By: BoostFiend
Doesn’t Royal Purple use a lot of Moly? And doesn’t Cummings claim moly causes valvetrain wear or something and are totally against using it.

Cummins disapproval is not the soluble moly that is used in most of todays motor oils, but the powered moly that was on the market years ago that people were adding to their oils.

If you are going to put on an AMSOIL bypass filter, I expect you'll have your own AMSOIL account. That will reduce the cost of the oil, too.

Friend of mine ran his earlier Dodge Cummins diesel over 250,000 miles without an oil drain--using Bypass Filter and oil analysis.
Another friend ran small fleet of Ford diesel vans 60-70,000 miles between drains, again using bypass filters and oil analysis.

Nothing wrong with the RP.

You might look at the AMSOIL web site for viscosity recommendations. 15W-40 isn't there.

Originally Posted By: **** in Falls Church

You might look at the AMSOIL web site for viscosity recommendations. 15W-40 isn't there.

Sure it is, it's just not highlighted in blue.

LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS
Engine Oil
Grade 1......CI-4
Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil
SAE 10W-40 Synthetic High Performance Motor Oil
Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil
Above 0°F......15W-40

You need to even ask?
LOL.gif
LOL.gif
BTW, there are planty of good UOA's with Amsoil going the distance. I wouldn't use RP for anything but lubing a door hinge. No, I do not sell Amsoil and never will, but I have used it in severe conditions for 4+ years now and keep getting very good results. If you want to look at my last 2 UOA's posted here, let me know. Happy oil hunting!!

Its funny, because everytime someone ask the question "Should I get oil A or B", half the people say A the other half B with a couple pointers here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back