Air tool oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have not seen mention of air tool oil, so I thought I would post some comments on it as I just went though the hassle of selecting some BITOG style:

Bostitch brand: 5W, non detergent mineral

Paslode Cordless (Impulse): ~30W, Polypropylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether base with N-Phenyl-Alpha-Naphthylamine (antioxidant modifier?) Guess those cordless gas-powered units make some heat. Not sure how it would react with a typical pneumatic tool.

Senco: ~20W, hydrotreated petroleum with custom additives (per msds)

Red Line makes air tool oil as well as Porter Cable (branded), Mobile, etc. I was looking for some oil for my two Porter Cable pneumatic nailers and had trouble finding 10W oil as Porter recommends. Ended up with the Senco brand from lowes (easy to get). Would have liked to get the Porter Cable brand or the Red Line, but was mail order only and shipping was more than the item. It was cold and raining/snowing this weekend...
36.gif

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
I like Marvel air motor oil. Marvel Mystery is ok, but they make one specifically for air tools also.

Bob

MSDS for their air tool oil shows 70-80% Naphthenic Hydrocarbons, 20-30% Mineral Spirits, 0-1% Chlorinated Hydrocarbons. 128*F flashpoint. No mention of viscosity.

Does mineral spirits cause certain rubbers (o-rings) to swell?

On another note, I happened across 3-in-one oil. MSDS shows >97% "Severely Hydrotreated Heavy Naphthenic Oil", <3% Proprietary non-hazardous ingredients. No mention of viscosity.

Originally Posted By: mikey12
Originally Posted By: alreadygone
I like Marvel air motor oil. Marvel Mystery is ok, but they make one specifically for air tools also.

Bob

MSDS for their air tool oil shows 70-80% Naphthenic Hydrocarbons, 20-30% Mineral Spirits, 0-1% Chlorinated Hydrocarbons. 128*F flashpoint. No mention of viscosity.

Does mineral spirits cause certain rubbers (o-rings) to swell?

On another note, I happened across 3-in-one oil. MSDS shows >97% "Severely Hydrotreated Heavy Naphthenic Oil",

It's pretty much been admitted by Marvel that their Air Tool Oil is just relabeled MMO. Both have a 5wt viscosity and the same applications that previously called for regular MMO now call for Marvel Air Tool or MMO.

Certain rubbers respond to certain mineral spirits in a way that promotes swelling. I know that some automotive seals have experienced a swell after a dose of MMO, but I can't comment on all applications.

I read one time that 3-in-one had an approximate viscosity of a 7wt, but I can't positively quote a source.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
I'm suprised that AMSOIL doesn't offer an option here.

They do but it is sold by the quart as compressor oil with a recommendation for air tools on the label.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I've been using FP-10 gun oil for a while.

That stuff looks pretty interesting from the MSDS:

66% Synthetic Hydrocarbon Base Oil
30% Synthetic EP Oil Additive
1% Lubricity Additive
3% Corrosion Inhibitor
41 cps Viscosity

Anyone have an interpretation of "cps"?

I use whatever is in my oil can. These days, since I'm at a Detroit Diesel dealership, that's usually 15W40 or 40W. It comes out kinda thick and I have to wipe residue off the tools... but otherwise works ok. I don't need another oil bottle cluttering up my box. It's full. And I'm kinda lazy... or at least apathetic.

At previous jobs I've also used 10W30, hydraulic oil, and ATF. All seemed to work just fine... my impacts lasted for well over a decade of daily abuse.

Snap-On brand. Free with tool purchase. Comes in a large bottle, still using the one I have from years ago. My air tools only get oiled about once a week. No problems so far, most air tools I've had for years.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Originally Posted By: benjamming
I'm suprised that AMSOIL doesn't offer an option here.

They do but it is sold by the quart as compressor oil with a recommendation for air tools on the label.

Are talking about the ISO 46, SAE20 PCI or the ISO 100, SAE 40 PCK? Both state
"The appropriate viscosity of AMSOIL PC Series Synthetic Compressor Oil is recommended for use in single and multistage rotary screw, vane, centrifugal and reciprocating compressor crankcase and cylinders, vacuum pumps and other applications such as gears, bearings, blowers, pumps and handheld pneumatic tools."

I have always used off the shelf generic but have always been curious about using a synthetic. Redline makes some thats sounds like it might be a pretty good oil. I have yet to use it but might order some to see what its all about. Amsoil sounds interesting as well.

I don't see any benefit to synthetic unless you use them in arctic conditions or powered by CO2. running any oil is better then none, they last a long time with none and with occasional use tools you are not going to wear them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back