Dodge Dakota cold weather oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil would one recommend for a 2001 Dodge Dakota with a 4.7 liter V8? Also, let it be known that this will be for the winter months in the Adirondack Mtns of New York. For starters, last I remember, the entire month of January was below 0 degrees f, with nighttime lows to the -30s.

Brian

Your talk of January just made my coffee ice over!
12.gif

If it were my truck I would run a brand name synthetic 5w30 that meets specs. I would buy the brand name synthetic that was on sale. Valvoline SynPower and Pennzoil Platinum would be my first two choices. Amsoil would be a great choice if I wanted to do a longer oci.

Last edited:
0W30 Mobil 1 (green cap) is usually available at Walmart in 5 qt. jugs. 5w30 M1 would also work.

Originally Posted By: BriantheBrain
What oil would one recommend for a 2001 Dodge Dakota with a 4.7 liter V8? Also, let it be known that this will be for the winter months in the Adirondack Mtns of New York. For starters, last I remember, the entire month of January was below 0 degrees f, with nighttime lows to the -30s.

Brian

5W-30 full synthetic. Royal Purple, Quaker State Horsepower, or Penzoil Platinum would be 3 good choices.

MotorCraft 5w20 Dodge calls for a 5w20 oil in ur engine, and MC 5w20 has fantastic cold pour point of -48. it has the same cold properties as a 0w30, but at half the price.

Originally Posted By: scoobie
MotorCraft 5w20 Dodge calls for a 5w20 oil in ur engine, and MC 5w20 has fantastic cold pour point of -48. it has the same cold properties as a 0w30, but at half the price.

A 2001 4.7L would call for 5W-30 not 5W-20. Chrysler didn't start spec'ing 5W-20 in their V8 truck engines until the 5.7L HEMI w/MDS in 06. Not sure if Chrysler has ever spec'd 5W-20 for the 4.7L? If so it would have to be very recent( 07/08 ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, you live in my neck of the woods.

I like to use a synthetic blend in the winter. Motorcraft 5w30 would be fantastic, and cheap.

I'm going to be using Citgo synth blend this winter in my Ranger, we'll see how it goes.

5w20 is called for in the '03 Dakota 4.7 If it's good for an '03, then it would be very good, especially in the winter for an '01. I don't think they changed the engine, just the oil spec.

Originally Posted By: scoobie
5w20 is called for in the '03 Dakota 4.7 If it's good for an '03, then it would be very good, especially in the winter for an '01. I don't think they changed the engine, just the oil spec.

Where did you come up with Dodge spec'ing 5W-20 for a 2003 4.7L? I owned a 03 4.7L( Ram )and it was 5W-30.

As a Dodge 4.7 liter owner for the past 8 years, I would say stick with the 5w-30. Any good synthetic will do. I have used Walmart's Super Tech Synthetic in my first Durango 4.7. No problems and purred like a kitten when I traded her in for my present one. Now my second has 140,000+- on her and she is using Castrol Syntec 5w-30.

Cripes, if it's really that cold, M1 0w-30 and move on to the next problem. If I was living in an area with those extreme temps, I'd have a Wolverine oil pan heater on that bad boy. Might want to start having some concerns about your charging system/battery as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back