BMW 3-series styling dilemma (like old better)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK guys...I'd like (someday) to get a BMW 335i when I'm out of college (prob slightly used, year doesn't matter)...

but the more I look at it, i realize that i HATE the new nose !!! the lights and everything looks butt ugly to me (LOVE it from side profile and rear though)...

Now, to me, the 2006 styling pf the 330ci looks best: I LOVE the way the front looks: clean lines, no ugly, bizarre, unnecessary lines making the nose "busy". like the side profile, like the rear less than the current 335i...

so I'm wondering: do i need the 300 hp twin turbo enough to live with an ugly nose? or will i still have decent power (225 hp) while looking great with a used 2006 330ci (for a lot less $$$ too probably)...

take a look and see if you guys agree :

current styling 335i:

page19_1.jpg

2006 330 ci:

img_0017.jpg

img_0019.jpg

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
so I'm wondering: do i need the 300 hp twin turbo enough to live with an ugly nose? or will i still have decent power (225 hp) while looking great with a used 2006 330ci (for a lot less $$$ too probably)...

There was also a ZHP version of the e46 330ci which had 235hp and many people actually claim that the car feels faster than the extra 10hp would have suggested. And if that's not enough, slap a supercharger on it and get even more hp than the 335i, and better looks, too. But even in the stock version, I think you'll find the 330ci very fun to drive (please tell me you're getting a stick).

The one bad thing about the e46 platform though is succeptibility to rear subframe damage, so make sure you get the car thoroughly checked out before you buy. And even then, there's no guarantee that it won't happen down the road.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 97tbird

There was also a ZHP version of the e46 330ci which had 235hp and many people actually claim that the car feels faster than the extra 10hp would have suggested.

What does the ZHP stand for?

I like the look of the new 3 series. Much nicer than the previous generation once you get accustomed to the quirky looking lights (especially the taillights). If you can afford the newer one then go for it. The change between the previous and current generations is stark and the old one looks very dated.

I love the E46 ZHP. They drive nicer than a 330 with sport package. It has a higher red line, different exhaust, ///M suspension, short shifter, bigger, wider, and lighter wheels and Alcantra interior trim & a few nicer interior pieces. The new E9x w/ the TT engine are faster and have nice lines but the classic look of the E46 w/ the ZHP package will never be dated. BTW, the silver E46 in the above picture not equipped equipped with the ZHP package. It just has the optional 18" wheels.

Last edited:
I'd rather have the 2006 one. It's a much better looking car IMO. Odds are you will never use the TT one to its full potential anyway, at least not on the street.

Originally Posted By: zoomzoomlx

What does the ZHP stand for?

ZHP was just an option order code for this particular package. Basically, each optional package or piece of equipment has its special factory code. When a dealer sends an order to the factory, they fill-in these codes according to what the customer requested. I don't know if it actually stands for something...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_E46#330_ZHP_Performance_Package_.28USA.29

ZHP is the BMW Performance Package which is more aggressive than the regular Sport Package that was optional on a E46 330.

In January 2003, at the Los Angeles International Auto Show, BMW of North America introduced the 330i Performance Package, order code ZHP. This was a trim-level upgrade that included engine modifications for an increase of 10 hp (7 kW), 8 lb·ft (11 N·m) of torque, and a redline increase to 6,800 rpm (from 6,500 in the regular 330i). The ZHP option also provided a 6-speed short-throw manual transmission, a higher final drive ratio and speed limiter setting, a suspension tuned for better handling, and various BMW M interior and exterior trim elements. The color option of Imola Red replaces Electric Red when ordered with ZHP Performance Package, otherwise only available in the M-series. Europe received slightly more cosmetic upgrades with the UK Clubsport Package, available only for the 330Ci (Coupe) models. The ZHP package helped BMW fill the gap from the departure of the four-door E36 M3 in 1998, as the E46 M3 was only available in coupe and convertable form.

Specific details on the order package include:

[edit] Performance:

* Lightweight flywheel
* More aggressive camshaft
* Free-flowing exhaust with 35 mm matte stainless steel dual exhaust pipes
* 3.07 final drive gear ratio in rear differential
* Tachometer with 300 rpm-higher redline
* New 155 mph top speed since the 128 mph (206 km/h) governor has been removed

[edit] Suspension (comparisons are made to non-ZHP suspension):

* New M suspension, more "sporty" than standard sport package
* Firmer springs (front +6%, rear +8%)
* Firmer shocks (jounce: front +50%, rear +20%), (rebound: front +35%, rear -8%)
* Larger diameter anti-roll bars: 23.5 mm front (v. 23.0), 18.5 mm rear (v. 18.0)
* Lower ride height by 15 mm (.6 inches) utilizing shorter auxiliary springs
* -.5 degrees of camber
* Reinforced right & left front lower control arms with all-metal ball joints (more rigid forward bushings)

[edit] Aesthetics:

[edit] Interior:

* Sport seats in Alcantara/cloth combo (optionally in leather)
* Anthracite interior headliner
* Thicker ///M 3-spoke multi-function steering wheel in perforated leather or Alcantara with fingertip cruise, audio, and accessory phone controls
* Short & weighted ///M shift knob
* Aluminum black/silver cube interior trim

[edit] Exterior:

* M-Tech II aerodynamic package
* Double-spoke (Styling 135M) cast alloy wheels
o 18 x 8.0 front with 225/40R-18 performance tires
o 18 x 8.5 rear with 255/35R-18 performance tires
* High-gloss shadowline trim around the windows

The ZHP package was available on mid-2003 330i sedans, all 2004-2005 330i sedans, and mid 2004-2006 330Ci coupes & convertibles. It has become a highly sought-after model due to its unique modifications. Car and Driver magazine track-tested the car, which returned a 0-60 mph time of 5.6 seconds and passed through the 1/4 mile in 14.2 seconds.

Source: Wikipedia

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Source: Wikipedia

The link I provided wasn't working?
LOL.gif

Just decided to help out the lazy folk on here that don't want to click on the link and provided a civil service to those with a 56K set up.

I got some brochures of the 335i mailed to me from BMW ... dang! 335i has a LOT of cool options etc etc (ok, some gimmicks, but still cool gimmicks)...
This is gonna be a hard decision ... looks or power ? (i must say the 335i ugly when compared to 33ci NOSE, but otherwise 335i still looks better than most 2 dr coupes out there)...

and the 335i mpg is only about 2-3 mpg less than the 330ci from what I have read...interesting

or shall I ditch both and find an ultra rare V-12 8-series which gets like 4 mpg? (just kidding): LOL
850CeeSi2.jpg

The 8 is a thing of beauty, but you'd better get ready to spend more on maintenance/upkeep than on the car itself, especially if it'll be your DD. :)

Looks aside, I agree with other posters for you to get as young of a vehicle as possible. These cars tend to become expensive as they get older. Also, the younger it is, the less time it spent getting the free maintenance/no maintenance from the dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back