Delo-400 Or Delvac 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,
I own a diesel SUV for which the owner has laid down API specs CH-4/ SAE 15W-40.Right now I am running on Delo 15W-40/API-CI-4 Plus.

Just wanted to know the usefulness of shifting to Delvac 1 which is very expensive out here in India (5 times more than Delo).

The place where I live is very hot and dusty (temp. range being 50 Farenheit to 110 Farenheit).My average running is ~ 1500 miles per month partly stop & go traffic and partly on highways).

Experts comments please....

Thanks,
rb2399

For your temperature range, I would say that 15W-40 Delo 400 is an adequate, high quality lubricant. Delvac 1 is a great product but the question is can you get five times the use out of it to justify the price?

If the spec is for HDEO, then the Delo would get the job done well. I use both oils, in different applications, and they work well. Don't know of any advantage in your case for going to D1 other than length of oil change interval. Is there a turbo involved?

PS - welcome to BITOG !

Last edited:
Delvac 1 syn oil is for extended oil change intervals and extra performance in freezing weather if you do not do those there is really no major reason to use syn oil. The Delo is an incredable oil .

I would go with Delo in this case...I wouldn't describe it as an adequate choice, however. It is usually always a top performer.
I really like Delvac1 though...the choice between Delvac and Delo was my predicament a few years back. I chose Delo (pretty much a coin toss for me) I use the 15W40 (most months of the year) and 5W40 in the winter (Delo), but would never hesitate to run Delvac, dino or syn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
If the spec is for HDEO, then the Delo would get the job done well. I use both oils, in different applications, and they work well. Don't know of any advantage in your case for going to D1 other than length of oil change interval. Is there a turbo involved?

PS - welcome to BITOG !

Thanks for the welcome :)
Yes,the engine is a turbo charged one with EGR valve.
The local Mobil guy is trying hard to sell me Delvac 1.Somehow Synthetics are always considered as "cure for all your ills" in my opinion.But the cost is prohibitive in my case.
By the way,what change interval should I follow in my conditions,any idea ? Will 3000 miles/5000 kms or "extended" interval like 5000 miles do ?

Thanks,
rb2399

rb2399,

You ought to be able to take the Delo out to 5000 miles even under your severe climatic conditions. If you can get a used oil analysis done you might find it will safely go even further. It would be a good idea to keep an eye on your air cleaner element, too.

When I lived in New Delhi (8 years ago) I used Castrol GTX 15W-40 in my gas-powered Montero (Pajero) and did only an annual oil change. There wasn't much choice in engine oils then and most everyone used 20W-50; sounds like things have changed for the better.

Cheers,
Mark

Originally Posted By: marco246
rb2399,

You ought to be able to take the Delo out to 5000 miles even under your severe climatic conditions. If you can get a used oil analysis done you might find it will safely go even further. It would be a good idea to keep an eye on your air cleaner element, too.

When I lived in New Delhi (8 years ago) I used Castrol GTX 15W-40 in my gas-powered Montero (Pajero) and did only an annual oil change. There wasn't much choice in engine oils then and most everyone used 20W-50; sounds like things have changed for the better.

Cheers,
Mark

Yes,
things have changed for good in India.All of the major "world" oils are now available here.

Another question I had was: When I switched from Delvac MX to Delo-400 ,the oil level dropped by ~ 500 ml over a period of 2 months and 3000 kms.What can this be attributed to ?

Thanks,
rb2399

rb2399,

Others here have noticed drops in oil levels on changing from one motor oil to another, and have noticed also a return to normality at the next oil change. Certainly there must be a chemical explanation for the phenomenon; I just don't know what it is.

I don't know whether you're changing the oil yourself or having it done, but following the oil and filter change when the engine is first run, it will fill up the oil filter assuming you have put the filter on empty of oil. So if the dipstick indicated perfectly full before running the engine, it would show something less than full, depending on the size of the oil filter, following the run.

Regardless of the reason, "consumption" of half a liter over 3000 kms is nothing to worry about. What kind of SUV? TATA? Mahindra?

Cheers,
Mark

rb2399,what was the reason for changing the brands?I`d like to know where the indian market Delvac products are blended(curious)..
Thanks!

The oil level has practically remained the same after the top-up.So maybe there was some chemical reaction that ate up the oil ;-))
Mine is a TATA Safari and I think TATA vehicles are known for oil consumption.

I wanted to experiment with different oils before settling for the best one (don't know if it's good for the engine or not)
But the engine noise & harshness have come down drastically after I switched to Delo-400 from Delvac MX.I don't know if this is psychological but couple of my friends also noticed the same when they switched from Delvac/other oils to Delo.
Also I found that Delo is less viscous at room temperature than delvac.Is this true ?
I am not sure about the blending question that Rollins has.Is it blending conventional mineral oils with synthetics ?

Thanks,
rb2399

Thank you for answering,rb2399,
I`m a MX user(CI-4/SL)and I`m satisfied with its performance so far...By the last question I meant the country of origine of Delvac products sold in India((as I`ve used french(Gravenchon) and turkish(Serviburnu-Istanbul) products and notice no difference(well,without oil analysis),but some people are suspicious...))...

Originally Posted By: Rollins
Thank you for answering,rb2399,
I`m a MX user(CI-4/SL)and I`m satisfied with its performance so far...By the last question I meant the country of origine of Delvac products sold in India((as I`ve used french(Gravenchon) and turkish(Serviburnu-Istanbul) products and notice no difference(well,without oil analysis),but some people are suspicious...))...

Oh !
They are manufactured in India,though some of the synthetics get imported from S'pore.

Thanks,
rb2399

Air filtration has a great determination on OCI's too, and if you are using the vehicle in very dusty conditions I'd be either sticking to 5,000km OCI's with Delo, or get a UOA done at 5,000km if available to see if you can go to 10,0000km.

Regarding using D1, at five times the price of Delo there is no justification whatsoever if the grade of Delo meets the engine manufacturer specs.

I've successfully used Delvac 1 in Nissan diesels but D1 is only a little over 50% more expensive here in Australia than the premium mineral based oils like Delo 400.

That's the hard part.I don't know of any labs in India which do UOA.Hence I am planning to be more conservative in my approach and will be changing the oil @ 6000 kms/6 months whichever occurs earlier.

Thanks,
rb2399

Just found these contact details for oil testing in India

1. IIPM - Orissa
Indian Institute for Production Management
Kansbahal - 770 034, Near Rourkela, Orissa, INDIA
Telephone Number +91-6624-280322/948/576 | FAX : +91-6624-280122

2. Predict India - Hyderabad
Mr.S.K.Mehta
Managing Director
[email protected]
For any general information, write to [email protected].

3. S & S Industries
C-15, Sector - 7
Noida, U.P. - 201301 (INDIA)

Tel : +91-120-2423191/ 207/ 523/ 382
Fax : +91-120-2423654
Email : [email protected]

Contact Person : Mr. Mahesh Gupta

S & S Engg makes portable kits useful for various lube tests. They are based near Delhi.

from here http://forums.noria.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/136604995/m/330100862

For some strange reasons,Chevron has decided to close their India ops.
Till date I have been using Delo-400 without any issues in my Diesel SUV (needs API CH-4 minimum).
Now I have the alternative of Mobil Delvac MX (API CI-4) Or Valvoline All Fleet Gold (API CI-4).
Any idea,which one is better ?

Thanks,
rb2399

Hi, rb,

Nice to see you're still alive and kicking. I don't know either of the oils you mention other than that they have good brand names. I recall seeing Texaco signs in India. Texaco is owned by Chevron; as you've been pleased with Chevron in the past, you may want to consider Texaco motor oils as well. Cheers!

It was really hard for me to find Chevron in first place (call it lack of marketing on their behalf).So I think it's nearly impossible for me to find Texaco oils in India ( I doubt if they still sell oils in India).
So I am left with the above mentioned options :-(

Thanks,
rb2399

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back