It's finally here- updated GM4718M w/ GM6094M list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I just got such a spike vision when I saw the thread title. BITOG'S version of "The new phone book is here! The new phone book is here!!"
LOL.gif

johnson-navin-r.jpg

This must look very strange for someone who just stumbles onto the site ..not prepared for what's inside.

LOL.gif

That is one of my all time favorite movies! In fact, to this day, whenever we get a new phone book, I run through the house like an idiot yelling "the new phone book's here! the new phone book's here!"

Originally Posted By: FrankN4

If you have an attorney friend that will look at something for you, for free of course, get him/her to actually read the part of the warranty dealing with engine oil. If you have an engine "LUBRICATION RELATED FAILURE" and have the recommended oil, the warranty will cover it. BUT, IF YOUR ENGINE JUST WEARS OUT IN 30,000-40,000 MILES, YOU ARE "NOT" COVERED. The warranty for my Chevrolet even has an exclusion for wear.

HUH????
21.gif
I had an 07(NBS) Silverado and your warranty on the 08 should be the same.

You have a 3 year/36,000 bumper to bumper warranty on your truck that covers everything as well as a 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty that will cover your engine after that. If it wears out in 30-40K you are covered either by the 3/36 or the 5/100.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had noticed a disclaimer that said normal wear was not covered under warranty. I thought that only applied to things like brakes, tires, clutches, etc. I checked with MY GM OWNER CENTER and basically what they said was that the way one person used/operated a well maintained vehicle would result in an XXX wear rate. The way another person used/operated a well maintained vehicle would result in an YYY wear rate. One individual part, such as a set of rings, might wear out in a much less than 100,000 mile, and the others not. This would not be considered normal wear and would be covered. If all of the rings wore out in a much less than 100,000 miles, that would be considered wear by use, and would also be considered normal wear, no matter how well maintained.

That is why when I select an oil I select what I honestly believe will give the least wear no matter what the manufacturer recommends. I know there is a risk involved, but, in 48 years of cars, trucks, motorcycles, and tractors, I have never had a personal vehicle engine actually "WEAR OUT", never had an engine failure other than accessories, and have been able to easily run 200,000 miles with one still in use Toyota with 300,000+.

It very well may be one of those things that would come down to a legal battle. Much would depend upon your relationship with your dealer, but the manufacturer has his bases coveed.

Alright, I see what you are talking about now. You mean literally an engine worn out at 30-40K not broken down. That would indicate abuse/extreme use by the driver and warranty would not cover it you are correct.

I was thinking along the lines of your ring anology. No way an engine literally wears out by 40K unless it was abused or used extremely hard all the time. 99% of the time a failed engine at 30-40K means a failed internal part.

Originally Posted By: NHSilverado
Alright, I see what you are talking about now. You mean literally an engine worn out at 30-40K not broken down. That would indicate abuse/extreme use by the driver and warranty would not cover it you are correct.

I was thinking along the lines of your ring anology. No way an engine literally wears out by 40K unless it was abused or used extremely hard all the time. 99% of the time a failed engine at 30-40K means a failed internal part.

Yep, if an engine actually wore out at only 30 or 40k, the owner would have to be doing something extremely abusive such as driving at full throttle on a stone cold engine every single morning when he fired it up.

From the 2008 Corvette Owner's Manual:

Quote:
Notice: If you use oils that do not have the
GM4718M Standard designation, you can cause
engine damage not covered by your warranty.

Originally Posted By: Patman

Yep, if an engine actually wore out at only 30 or 40k, the owner would have to be doing something extremely abusive such as driving at full throttle on a stone cold engine every single morning when he fired it up.

You seem to be eliminating the possibility of a bad batch of piston rings or a bunch of other possibilities.

Originally Posted By: Klaus
From the 2008 Corvette Owner's Manual:

Quote:
Notice: If you use oils that do not have the
GM4718M Standard designation, you can cause
engine damage not covered by your warranty.

And your point? That does not say anything about having to be certified and is just the standard use a fluid that meets standard XXXX in your vehicle or else mfg speak.

Simply means use an oil that meets/exceeds the standard. You need a synthetic able to handle the extreme heat/deposits( and actually just to meet the standard as well - must be synthetic is written into the standard is my understanding )is the bottom line. Use an oil that can't meet or exceed the standard and you are not covered in the event of heat related engine damage.

Nothing special about that whatsoever.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: Patman

You seem to be eliminating the possibility of a bad batch of piston rings or a bunch of other possibilities.

Actually we are not. Because in that type of circumstance it would be an obvious part failure( ie; 1 or 2 bad rings, failed oil pump, blown head gasket, etc... whatever "other possibilities" you wish ) and you would be covered. You are NOT going to get a whole set of bad rings, or bearings, or lifters, or whatever that fail, under normal use, by 30-40K. That will take extreme use/abuse by the driver which would not be covered. You may get 1 or 2 but not a whole set of soemthing failing at the same time. THAT is caused by abuse, neglect, and extreme hard use all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back