Amsoil - Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of a fun read:

Quote:
Policy Regarding False Representation of AMSOIL INC.
on the Online Encyclopedia Wikipedia

May 21, 2008

The online encyclopedia known as Wikipedia has quickly become a popular source of information on a multitude of topics. However, because anyone with web access can write and edit Wikipedia articles, users can easily post inaccurate, distorted, biased and/or outdated information. It is for this reason that the website is widely criticized as an unreliable source of information for research. AMSOIL regularly sees false information spread about the company, its history and its products through Wikipedia. It is important for Dealers to recognize that Wikipedia information on AMSOIL is often inaccurate, especially when speaking with customers and potential customers. In the past, AMSOIL has corrected false information on Wikipedia only to see it quickly changed back to its inaccurate status. If so inclined, AMSOIL Dealers are free to register with Wikipedia and replace any false and misleading information with accurate information from AMSOIL publications or the AMSOIL corporate website.

The true history of AMSOIL INC. and its products is well-documented. Founder and CEO Al Amatuzio witnessed the extraordinary benefits of the synthetic lubricants that protected the engines of the jets he flew in his 25 years as an award-winning jet fighter pilot. Recognizing that these same benefits would prove invaluable in internal combustion engines, he began conducting serious research in 1963. By 1966 he had formulated a synthetic motor oil and put it to use in vehicles in northern Minnesota. Throughout the late 1960’s, Amatuzio continued his research and development and sold commercially available synthetic oils under a variety of names. In 1970 he incorporated his own name into a commercially sold product called AMMOIL. In 1971 this product name was changed to AMZOIL and it continued to be sold commercially. The true milestone came in 1972 when AMZOIL became the first synthetic motor oil in the world to meet American Petroleum Institute criteria. The new lubricant performed like no other before it. When the first can of AMZOIL 10W-40 appeared on the market in 1972, it signaled the birth of an entire industry. Shortly thereafter, AMZOIL became AMSOIL and the company’s products went on to expand the boundaries of lubrication science and redefine the performance possibilities of modern machinery and engines.

http://www.amsoil.com/dealer/archive/wiki.aspx

the Amsoil Wiki entry is a bit "sales brochure"-ish. A serious rewrite, without the sales jargon, with cross links from claims to 3rd party articles would help it.

Problem is most Amsoil dealers do not have a clue so it will get worse. They should NOT allow any dealer to edit it and let only a select few (that know the product lines).

the same thing that is good about wikipedia is the thing which is bad about it. a truly neutral unbiased factual report on a topic would be great, but too many times incomplete or outright false info is posted. the other side is a 'ghost write' from the subject itself, which is hardly neutral, and may read like an advertisement.
my wife reps for a direct marketing company that has decided to start selling it's products in wal mart. as you can imagine, this has wreaked havoc on the independent reps (imagine amsoil qts for 2.99 on the shelf next to the supertech, and amsoil telling the reps that 'customers will come looking for you to buy the other products we offer'), but to read about it on wikipedia, it's all love and roses. I made an entry in response only to find it changed back soon after.
I see the danger of using wikipedia as a trustworthy source, but companies shouldn't use it to advertise.

The dynamic content in Wikipedia is about as useful as an old Sear's catalog in an outhouse! Whenever I want to do real research and get some "facts" I'll go to that thing made out of brick and mortar at the land grant university and browse through the stacks. Just the term "wiki" is stupid and [censored] me off. Flame suit on!
24.gif

Originally Posted By: pickled
The dynamic content in Wikipedia is about as useful as an old Sear's catalog in an outhouse! Whenever I want to do real research and get some "facts" I'll go to that thing made out of brick and mortar at the land grant university and browse through the stacks. Just the term "wiki" is stupid and [censored] me off. Flame suit on!
24.gif

Well said. I use it from time to time on BITOG....but that really was my first reaction to "wiki"
crackmeup2.gif

I had the same reaction to Wiki at first, but I've found it to be enormously useful for basic information. It gives a good starting point for learning about anything imaginable. More than once I've gone to a company's website and been unable to find information on something I'm interested in, while Wiki has an article ready with more info than I could've expected.

Granted not all the info is useful. Like Colbert said, the article on lightsabers is bigger than the one on the printing press.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Vilan
I had the same reaction to Wiki at first, but I've found it to be enormously useful for basic information. It gives a good starting point for learning about anything imaginable. More than once I've gone to a company's website and been unable to find information on something I'm interested in, while Wiki has an article ready with more info than I could've expected.

Granted not all the info is useful. Like Colbert said, the article on lightsabers is bigger than the one on the printing press.
grin2.gif

I feel the same way

As long as we're resurrecting this thread I'm going to go ahead and agree. The term 'wiki' makes me want to slap the teeth out of the mouth that first uttered that phrase. Much like the current craze of taking anything technological and putting a lower case 'i' in front of it's name.

Admittedly, they are helpful and very interesting once you don't think about what they're called.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back