Oil for Yamaha Sr400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I have a 03' model Yamaha SR400 Specs (its an 399cc Thumper) and i have always been running 20w50 oil and recently i decided to try Bel-ray 20w-50w Link and found the engine to heat up incredibly quickly thus i turned the engine off, i checked the oil levels and for blockages all seems fine, and i have changed back to Castrol and every thing is running fine, can any one give me a clue about what would have caused the heat? also i am thinking about changing to Amsoil SAE 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCF). The owner manual says 10w-40 would be fine.

Would this be viable? as i have heard that some synthetics cause seal swellings and other various problems on older machines, even thou my SR is only 5 years old the design dates back 30 years.

Thanks

That's a nice looking 'classic style' bike. I run Rotella 15w/40 or Mobil Delvac 15w/40 in my XS400 (twin) and it works fine. Since it is air cooled it does warm up fast but never to the point where it's overheating. I think any 15w/40 or 20w/50 oil would be fine. Have you checked the valve clearances lately?

No real reason for the new oil to make it run hot, maybe a few degrees but not anything you would notice. Don't take this personally but sometimes when switching to a new oil we become hyper sensitive looking for some change or effect that's been there all along. You read it in these threads all the time, smoother, noisier, shift, clutch,cooler , hotter, etc. Then you get testimonial from multi level market oil users that make the products seem almost magical, they believe so much in it their blinded (or see things) by there own faith.

Last edited:
I'm gonna take a stab at this one... On three seperate occasions I've noticed an oil to impact the running temperature of my FZ6. It has a temp gauge and reads directly in degrees, and I pay close attention to it. First off, the most recent event, I switched from Valvo prem. blue (15w40) to Mobil 4t racing(10w40). Took the bike on the EXACT same route as an hour before the oil change. The conditions were exactly the same, the bike started the ride at the same temp. There is about a 10 mile section of road that is straight, flat and devoid of traffic (at least on this occasion). During that stretch the bike will run around 180 deg F. On the new oil the bike bottomed out at 192. Not exactly a controlled, scientlfic test, but as close as I'm likely to get. Being rather disgusted with the Mobil, I rode the rest of the way home with the average temp running 8-10 degrees higher than I normally see, then dumped it, drained the oil filter as well as I could and refilled with more Valvo prem blue. Rode the EXACT same route yet again, same day, same conditions, and the temp returned to the same as it's been with every other oil I've used in the FZ6. O.K., so I'm convinced there's something to it. There's a guy over there on the grassy knoll, and he's got a gun! Not exactly earth-shattering oil-conspiricy-theory, but it isn't the first time a PAO based oil has made one of my motorcycles seem to run hotter. The other times involved Mobil 1 15w50(old formula) and Repsol syn bike oil. Different bikes though, and I trust the temp reading from the FZ6 as gospel, as it's super-consistant, hence this anecdote from the Mobil racing 4t. So we all know that different materiels handle heat transfer differently. For instance, water transfers heat better than water+anti-freeze. Oil is a major contributor to heat dissapation in an engine. It's not a stretch to think that the heat transfer properties of oil "A" may be different than oil "B". It has been said that certain oils have a "polar" effect. That is to say their ionic charge is opposite the surfaces they are lubricating/cooling. If we use an oil that has less of a polar effect, or perhaps a neutral or even similar ionic charge to the engine surfaces it seems likely that the oil would not "wet" the surfaces of the engine, thus not transfer the heat as well. After having said all that I feel kinda bad because it's just an arguement in my head that I've convinced myself of. These days anyone who has a reasoned-sounding hypothesis... Ahhemm, engine break-in proceedure... Cough-cough..Motoman... is automatically an expert. I make no such claims. I only seek to say to Mr. James_Lesiar, his experience sounds familiar... Try a different oil!

It's the same engine as the old 2 valve TT/XT/SR500 - there are practically no plain bearings in the engine and are dry sump....they will run on any oil forever.There are plenty of websites dedicated to that engine,I'd check one out and see what they say.

My bike was originally a 1992 XT400E,but has morphed into a 621cc.It looks like the 2 valve and 4 valve 400's have the same bore and stroke - Yamaha have used an 84mm stroke on the big singles in 500,600 and now the 660.I have used a 15/50 synth in the past,but am using Gulf Weston Top Dog 15/40,a HDEO.The bikes are aircooled,so temps will fluctuate - but they were designed as an off road bike,you will be hard pressed to overheat one on the road.

Thanks for the reply's, i guess i will have to reuse more of the bel-ray to see if i was hyper sensitive when i put it in =) or it was really heating up. But i don't think i will risk it.

welcome2.gif

Nothing to add other than that SR400's a gorgeous bike
cheers3.gif

Wish we had that here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back