07.5 Chevy DMax 13K on sample Rotella 10W-30 CJ-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil Analyzers goofed up on the mileage listed on the sample, along with sump capacity and a few other odds and ends. Anyway, the mileage on the sample was around 13K miles.

The only thing that surprises me a little is the Fe at 24, but that still isn't cause for concern. Typically, the Duramax runs low Fe numbers. I ran the oil for another 750 miles or so and dumped. I refilled the crank case with Delvac 1300 15W-40 and changed my full flow & Oil Guard bypass element.

Another note....I drained off a couple of quarts via my Fumoto around 1000 miles before I took this sample and replaced with Castrol Tection 15W-40 just for a little TBN boost.

Oil-1.jpg

Nothing abnormal there...Going back to one of your favorites for a top up (Tection) I see... I can't remember how well it did for you last time, but how did you like it? At my local Wally they still have CI4+ Tection on the shelves...I was debating on buying a change worth.

That's low wear for 13000 miles with 10W30...Doesn't seem to matter whether its 10W30 or 15W40 anymore for most.
Nice

Nice report. Does the low aluminum tell us that the engine is all broken in by now?

How about this zero lead content, do you really have zero bearing wear after 13000 miles or is there just no Pb layer on Duramax bearings?

Nice report....been thinking of going ot Delvac myself. I would like to see that report. Your silicon was WAY better than mine refer to 18k Duramax thread.

Can't really explain the slight Fe issue, but overall the rate isn't bad for 13k miles.

For some reason, I can only view parts of the report and not the whole thing. How did vicosity fare for a 10w-30?

Last edited:
So, the 10w-30 grade stayed nicely in range. Seems to quiet some of the concerns about it being too thin, or not holding up.

Some of the credit goes to the OG filter. Keeps everything right where it ought to be.

What sort of filtration system are you using, Arkapig? Also, what is your driving situation? Lotta miles in a short time, or???

If I'm reading the chart right, I noticed a couple of things:

1) soot went way down from the first sample to the second

2) visc was pretty high in the first sample (soot?)

3) TBN retention was excellent!

I'm beginning to think that R-T 10W-30 is a sleeper. Have been using it in some of my equipment for a few years now and have gradually been extending the intervals. The upcoming tests (next fall) will tell the tale for me. My OCI extension is more on the time side than miles/hours.

Sorry to all of the unanswered questions.....it's deer season and I've had priorities elsewhere
13.gif

1. Not a lot of miles of heavy towing. I'd say towing 11K around 750 miles of the total miles on this sample.

2. I'm running an Amsoil full flow and an Oil Guard bypass on the filtration side of things.

3. Driving is probably a 70/30 mix of hwy/city

4. In regards to soot going down from the 1st sample to the 2nd...When I first got my truck last year (when the 1st sample was pulled) there were a couple of things different w/my truck. One, the EGR gases weren't blocked (they are blocked now) and two I was running an Amsoil bypass (been running an Oil Guard for the past 23K miles or so).

5. Visc being high in 1st sample....I used a 40W oil so I think it's pretty much at spec

The soot percentage being so darn low is a strong testament to the Oil Guard filter doing a good job. That was one of the first things that stood out to me in this UOA.....an extremely low soot %.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back