Delo 400 LE CJ4 UOA 11 000 km's Blackstone labs

Status
Not open for further replies.
All in all, I'm quite pleased with the new CJ4...so I guess I truly believe now that it is as good as the oil companies claim. It was tough to gauge over the last few years with all the skepticism though. 1 Quart added...it was CI4+ (oops).
AFE stage 2 Proguard 7
Only a little Power Service Grey here and there
Truck always driven hard...50/50 city highway

Here goes...

Aluminum 6
Chromium 0
Iron 19
Copper 2
Lead 3
Tin 0
Moly 120
Nickel 0
Manganese 1
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 9
Boron 327
Silicon 5
Sodium 4
Calcium 1927
Magnesium 312
Phosphorus 1070
Zinc 1379
Barium 0

CST Viscosity @100C 14.28
Flashpoint 445 (nice for CJ4 dino)
Fuel Antifreeze 0
Water 0
Insolubles 0.3%
No TBN taken
No tan

Blackstone's comments:

DEREK: The low temp viscosity read 119.664 at 40ºC. The high-temp viscosity you can read in the
physical data. You ran this oil a lot longer than the last, and iron improved quite a bit. We are not sure what
sorts of changes you've made sine January 2007, but we certainly like how this engine is wearing. Metals
are properly balanced and everything read within the average range for the Cummins 6BT engine. The oil
was in good shape physically, containing no moisture, fuel, or signs of coolant. You could run the oil longer, if you wanted! Nice engine.

Blackstone always thinks my mileage is in Miles...I always give it in KM's in bold.
Mileage is in Km's.

Great report. Why not the TBN? Did you OCI, or merely sample and continue use? Running a bypass? (I can't remember; forgive my sentility!) Certainly looks impressive enough to warrant futher use.

I think this is just another good example of how well the CJ-4's can perform.

I was going to get one...but I guess I chose not to as it wasn't an extended drain. I will be on to extended intervals in the near future though. No big deal. My biggest curiosity was as to how the oil performed with regards to wear. Next time I run CJ4 after my CI4+ stash runs out (in about 2011) I will be getting a tbn for sure...but I imagine we'll be on to the next formulation by then.

Ah, yes, the conundrum of having a huge oil stash is, while having got most of it on sale (and in bulk quantities that could sustain the whole extended family) you end up running "old" oil because your "new" oil is still FIFO'd at the back of the shelf.

I am on my last jugs of Rotella 10w-30 in CI-4! (Notice, I didn't include the "+" designation; it's that old). Just bought CJ-4 oil in both Rotella 10w-30 (5 gallons) and Delvac 1300 15w-40 (5 gallons), to go with my 2 gallons of CI-4+ 5w-40 RTS.

Now, I think I can fit a few more HDEO gallons next to the stash of 12 qts of PP for the cars, if I just double stack them on top of one another ...

Last edited:
We're such oil geeks....
grin2.gif
wouldn't have it any other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back