Ideas for an M1911

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some help finding what brand of .45ACP M1911 to buy. I like the look of the Colts but I know that many other makers have them. What I need is a very basic M1911. No fancy anything really. I also need an idea of retail prices. Another question is this......does a higher capacity 1911 have a thicker hand grip or just longer? Can you use higher capacity magazines in a standard 1911?
Thanks for ant ideas. I know that I can call a local gunshop...but they are so busy right now (Obama) that they don't have much time to spend talking to me.

If you want a bare bones 1911, look for one made by Rock Island. They manufacture 1911s out of the Philippines and sell in the U.S. These are very standard, original to the first design handguns. Expect to pay around $350 for a standard GI model.

As for the extra capacity 1911s, they usually have a wider grip which means that you have to buy specific magazines. I believe Kimber makes hi-cap 1911s.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/1911WWI.asp

1911WWI.jpg

The 3 best are Wilson/Knight Hawk Custom and Springfield Professional.

Non mim parts..all cnc machined.

The Springfield Professional is the gun the FBI Hostage Rescue Teams use. They train with Marrines. Extremely accurate weapons.

All the above cost $2,400.00 or so.

Want the best for less? Check out the Dan Wesson "Bobtail". It's about $1,500.00. Cabellas have them.

Colts do not make the grade.

Kimbers look nice but until you get into their Custom Line they are so so.

You mentioned High capacity? 1911's are single stacked 7-8 rounds/mag.

If you need a .45 auto with 13-14 rounds/mag then look at the HK USP.

Last edited:
Taurus has a great 1911. Lots of extras, lifetime warranty and about $650 last time I checked. I own 3 Colts and a Kimber and am thinking about getting the Taurus. My Colts are nice, but the Kimber (Ultra carry) is an expensive dissapointment.

Last edited:
So is the consensus that the Rock Island firearm is a quality piece WITHOUT being expensive? I've heard good and bad about the Colt 1911's....why do so many people not like the Colt?
I know that some others mentioned here are of superior quality and accuracy...but I simply can't see paying that high for a .45 that will mostly be for the household.
My girlfriends son is an Army Ranger that has served several times over in Iraq and Afghanistan and he has said that the Kimbers have had some issues over there and that they are considered sometimes problematic. I guess paying over $2500 for a weapon doesn't always mean it will function better than others.

Last edited:
-Springfield Armory won the contract to the FBI Hostage Rescue Team

-Kimber won the contract to LAPD SWAT and Marine Force Recon
Both are solid companies.

As far as high cap, yes the mag well tends to be larger, as would be expected to double stack the rounds. There are 10 round single stack mags you can put in the standard 1911's that slightly stick out the bottom of the mag well, as they are three rounds longer than the typical flush 7 rounder.
The standard name in high cap 1911's is Para Ordnance. I don't care for them, but you may. Their basic model high cap is DAO vs. your typical 1911. But they do make others, and some other companies have started producing high caps.

For a basic 1911, I would take either a Mil-Spec or G.I. from Springfield Armory. I picked one up for about 400 and change. Very nice, very reliable, very basic.

Good luck with your choice.

Cheers.

Hey, thanks guys. I would like to be able to afford a Dan Wesson....but $1100 is out of my price range. I did look online at a Springfield G.I. in Olive Drab. It certainly looked nice and from what I read it performs well for the money. Being that it is a very basic .45 and the price is right, I think I will call my gunshop and ask what they will sell one for.
I liked the idea of being able to put a 10 round mag in a standard .45. I wasn't sure you could do that.
Some last questions I have....who makes good mags and how many should I own? What grain and type of round should I use for home defense? And who makes a very comfortable carry holster for this weapon?
Thanks again everybody.

"I guess paying over $2500 for a weapon doesn't always mean it will function better than others. "

If you're gonna spend that kind of money,,call my nephew "Joey" at (Bob Marvel Custom guns). They'll buid you the most kick-arse,accurate,unjammable 45 in existence! http://bobmarvelguns.com/

For a inexpensive gun that custom builders will actually work on later if you want to "fancy it up" the Springfield has a pretty good rep.

I have a bare-bones Springfield Armory 1911A1 which I have found to be quite satisfactory. Out of the box it had some issues with certain hollow-point ammunition, but the judicious use of some 600 grit sandpaper applied to the feed ramp took care of that problem. It now feeds anything I give it including ammunition with 230 grain Speer Gold Dot hollow points.

Whether or not a high capacity 1911 is thicker or longer in the grip depends on design. Some use double stack magazines, like the Paraordnance, so if you got a small hand and short fingers, it would be a problem for you. I believe at one time or another 10 round magazines for the 1911 were available. The single stack magazines are a little longer than normal fare, so they stick out the grip a little.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Hey, thanks guys. I would like to be able to afford a Dan Wesson....but $1100 is out of my price range. I did look online at a Springfield G.I. in Olive Drab. It certainly looked nice and from what I read it performs well for the money. Being that it is a very basic .45 and the price is right, I think I will call my gunshop and ask what they will sell one for.
I liked the idea of being able to put a 10 round mag in a standard .45. I wasn't sure you could do that.
Some last questions I have....who makes good mags and how many should I own? What grain and type of round should I use for home defense? And who makes a very comfortable carry holster for this weapon?
Thanks again everybody.

For premium mags I would go with Wilson Combat. They sell 7,8, and 10 rounder single stack mags.
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/magzine-index.asp
Other than that, I would stick with OEM. Just my personal preferences though.

For home defense I would use hollow points or any good personal defense round. Whatever you pick, take it to the range and run a box through it first though. Make sure your gun likes the ammo and doesn't have any feed or jamming issues regarding same.
Whatever your pick, take into account your mission and your environment. If you have other people in the house or neighbors who may be injured by a jacketed round going through 2 or 3 walls then you may want to take that into consideration, and get a lesser penetrating round.

As far as number of mags, you can never have too many, but that's up to your personal preference. However many you pick, take them all out and test as well. Never trust an unproven weapon.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Great responses!
Thanks Yuk for the 1911 link. Looks like a good site. GMBoy, I used to have a Taurus (Raging Bull .454) and liked it. I'll look at one but I still seem to be leaning towards the Springfield.
Thanks to the rest of you for the input on ammo/mags etc.
Good advice!

You're welcome - that's what we're all here for. Post a pic when you get one.

Take care

Originally Posted By: SinisterK9
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Thanks again everybody.

For premium mags I would go with Wilson Combat. They sell 7,8, and 10 rounder single stack mags.
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/magzine-index.asp
Other than that, I would stick with OEM. Just my personal preferences though.

For home defense I would use hollow points or any good personal defense round. Whatever you pick, take it to the range and run a box through it first though. Make sure your gun likes the ammo and doesn't have any feed or jamming issues regarding same.
Whatever your pick, take into account your mission and your environment. If you have other people in the house or neighbors who may be injured by a jacketed round going through 2 or 3 walls then you may want to take that into consideration, and get a lesser penetrating round.

As far as number of mags, you can never have too many, but that's up to your personal preference. However many you pick, take them all out and test as well. Never trust an unproven weapon.

Cheers.
hollow points will go through the same amount of walls . Wood and sheetrock walls do not stop much. I had a friend who did a stupid thing and thought a 380 pistol wasn't loaded and it discharged , the hollow point went through the closet door the clothes in the closet a sheetrock wall and the back of the book case and almost all the way through the book that stopped it . The 380 bullet weight is 90ish grains and a 45 acp is around 180 to 230 grains off the top of my head.

"Self-defense bullets are most often hollow-pointed, meaning that the tip of the bullet is concave and not a solid sharp point. This type of shape assists the bullet "mushrooming" or deforming when it hits a surface, thus causing a larger frontal surface area and subsequently slowing down faster - in the process transferring the kinetic energy to the target. The idea behind this design is to ensure that the bullet will not over penetrate and continue flying on through and past the target".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back