My impressions of Collinite 845s Insulator Wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

Just felt like giving my :2cents: regarding my first time use of Collinite 845 - Insulator Wax. I wanted a good "winter" wax and various reviews I read said the 845 was a good way to go.

I used it on my white '68 Dodge. I had previously clayed the paint and applied a couple layers of NXT 2.0. The car was already gleaming and very smooth from those couple of layers.

The bottle design is a bit weird. They say it's a liquid wax but it has the consistancy of a paste type wax. Cap is a child safety type which I thought was interesting. I literally have to squeeze the bottle to get the wax to come out.

I applied the wax by hand using a round cotton wax pad. Wax went on really easy but was very difficult to see on a white car. It looks almost vasoline-like when applied. I waited a while for it to cure and wiped it off using a couple of microfiber towels. One for the initial wipe and the other for final buff.

I must say that I'm pretty impressed with the results. The Carnauba wax really gives the car a nice "glow". It also went on and buffed off very easily. I was able to take my time and put a coat on a 18.5' long car in about an hour. I'm curious to see how it looks on my silver Subaru.
banana2.gif

I definitely give it a
thumbsup2.gif

Ed B.

Ed B.

Thanks for the review and input. I bought some at Habor Freight this summer, and am going to try it before winter. On one of my vehicles, I already have Duragloss 101 and 105 combo. On my other, I used Poorboys Polish with Carnuba (blue), and plan to top with 845. I'll then see which one stands up better. For a more "fair" test, I should have started each with the same base. I just have too many products to use/try.

Harbor freight is blowing out Collinite as they will discontinue it. If you can find it, there will be good deals.

The wax should pour out easily, sorta like syrup. Just shake the bottle back and forth very fast for about 30 seconds. It will have a very slippery feel then as you apply it.

I use 845 on my CVPI and it makes it look like glass. And with temps getting colder, it makes the wax hard as glass as well. Very tough stuff indeed.

Does Harbor Freight sell 845 mail order?

I asked the manager of the local harbor Freight if they sell Collinite wax and he said no what is it.

Originally Posted By: ron350
Does Harbor Freight sell 845 mail order?

I asked the manager of the local harbor Freight if they sell Collinite wax and he said no what is it.

I bought the last two bottles at my local HF. PM me if you want to buy one of them.

I want to say it was either $11.99 or 13.99? I bought it quite awhile ago. I did use a 15% off coupon -- which helped. Either way, it was much cheaper than mail order (about the only other way to get it). Mine is also more of a "paste" -- as SuperEd73 described.

Just an FYI. As PSUDaytona suggested I shook my other bottle (I bought 2) for at least a minute. It took a while with various kinds of shaking but the wax did eventually turn to liquid. Very interesting as I don't recall any other wax I've come across having that property.

Does it matter that my first use consisted of the unshaken (pasty) type? Do I need to reapply using the wax in its liquid state?

Ed B.

Nah, you're fine. I think the reason the product is paste-like is to keep the wax and the other ingredients from separating. Some waxes state on the bottle, "shake frequently when using" as their ingredients tend to separate or settle to the bottom. Since the 845 bottle is clear you can easily see if the wax needs shaking.

What I did was pour some of the 845 into a 2 ounce bottle with a spout. I had to use a funnel and it took a few minutes but now it's much easier to apply the wax to an applicator pad.

Collinite is great stuff. I have both the 845 and the 476S and the 476S is the more durable/long lasting of the two, but slightly harder to apply and remove. To get me through the winter I like to put a coat of 845 over a coat of 476S, after the first coat has cured for a day or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back