Mobil 1 TDT - New Formula

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening,

I haven't been around in a while and I apologize if I am bringing up a too often discussed topic. I noticed on the Mobil 1 website that they have a new formula for TDT 5w-40. I have been running it in my '98 BMW M3 and really have liked it. It took away the small oil consumption I was getting with 0w-40. Can anyone enlighten me about this "new formula"? Also, any other Mobil 1s I should be aware of?

-Nick

Hi,
98dakarM3 - Use this product with the same confidence you had in the superceded version - I would. M1 0W-40 still remains a premier lubricant in a complex field of Approvals and end results

doug!

You were the one who talked me into the 5-40 TDT the first time. What is the 5-40 you currently use in your Porsche? Would it be an oil I should be considered for my BMW? The TDT mobil isn't the easiest for me to find

Last edited:
Hi,
98dakarM3 - Well I am on the last of the old series (my stock)of Delvac 1 5W-40. At the next OC it will be the new version of Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 going in

Either the new TDT 5W-40 lubricant or the ESP version of Delvac 1 5W-40 will be suitable in your engine

EM is certainly NOT the best marketer - and certainly not concerning Delvac 1 5W-40! It is hard to find (except in Commercial circles) and I obtain my bulk supplies from either of three "Mobil" Distributors here in OZ. The 5 litre packs are available from some Mobil Truck Stops and from some engine suppliers like Detroit Diesel etc.

CAT market their own repackaged version of Delvac 1 5W-40 through their retail and service outlets

Going by a previous thread on here I was of the opinion that the new version of M1 SuperSyn TDT 5W-40 is readily available now in NA?

You are already using an excellent product - especially for those wonderful BMW engines!

Doug,

I have no reason to believe that the new TDT is not available in NA, I just haven't had an oil change since the new one came out.

What is the difference between the TDT 5W-40 and Delvac 5w-40? I know at one point they were basically the same thing, but my understanding is that they became more diverse after the reformulation.

One last question, if TDT is indeed one of the best oil's Mobil 1 sells, why do they call it a TDT oil? Most people, including myself at one point, are very skeptical about putting an oil that is called TURBO DIESEL TRUCK into a non-turbo, non-diesel car.

-Nick

Hi,
Nick – Of course I am not privy to the complex formulations of all EM products but the following information may help you

Firstly, M1 TDT 5W-40 has never been sold outside of NA under that Brand name as I understand it. I suspect it may be sold in Europe under another Mobil name and it may have Porsche Approval

Mobil’s rebranding regime is based on M1 (as its premier product line) and other products using a “000” numeric label. The “other” products will of course include synthetics of the Group 3 type and etc. These will not show the SuperSyn symbol but will have notations denoting “synthetic” ingredients (enhancements) – just the same as other Oil Companies do

As for Delvac products I don’t think any rebranding is underway – well that I know of at least. As new Delvac formulations are introduced I suspect EM will not confuse their Commercial customers by “flamboyant” marketing – well at least they haven’t done so for the last 50 years or so

Delvac I ESP 5W-40 is a reformulated product that is performing better than its predecessor. They always included an ester content of around >20%

EM has an immense selection of “in-house” products available to them such as - SpectraSyn and SpectraSyn Plus and SpectrSyn Ultra PAO’s (low & high viscosity), Esterex Ester compounds and their Synesstic range of Alkylated Napthalenes. As the largest supplier of these products they deliver the largest volume to a number of Oil Blenders and other Oil Companies

Therefore I expect they have enhanced the new Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 with the very best of their range of base fluids for the application. Just as they did with the Delvac 1 5W-40 that was replaced and for nearly two decades

I expect that the new M1 SuperSyn TDT 5W-40 will be a deviation from Delvac 1 but with an enhanced formulation over its predecessor especially for Consumer use and driven to meet Consumer specifications

I would use either in a petrol engine that requires that viscosity lubricant

As long as an HDEO is a “mixed fleet” with both diesel and petrol engine Quality ratings - API or ACEA, or both – it will be suitable for use in a petrol engine

I first started using HD (HDEO) lubricants in petrol engines over 50 years ago with great results

I was later “driven” in this regard when I worked for Caltex-Chevron in Scandinavia during the 1960s and when involved in various Test and Development tasks with engine makers likes of MB

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

Delvac I ESP 5W-40 is a reformulated product that is performing better than its predecessor. They always included an ester content of around >20%

EM has an immense selection of “in-house” products available to them such as - SpectraSyn and SpectraSyn Plus and SpectrSyn Ultra PAO’s (low & high viscosity), Esterex Ester compounds and their Synesstic range of Alkylated Napthalenes. As the largest supplier of these products they deliver the largest volume to a number of Oil Blenders and other Oil Companies

Therefore I expect they have enhanced the new Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 with the very best of their range of base fluids for the application. Just as they did with the Delvac 1 5W-40 that was replaced and for nearly two decades

According to an SAE paper done buy Chevron, D1 has about 20% AN and 2% ester, balance PAO.

Delo 400 did equivalently in terms of wear, fuel economy, etc. ad D1 over LOTS of miles and fleet use.

That said, wear-wise at least, this isnt consistent with what has been seen in the MB diesel comunity, at least.

Ill provide a citation for the paper later.

JMH

Last edited:
Doug I don't see this ESP 5W40 on Mobil Oz web site? I'm looking for an oil for my BM to use after Auto-Rx rinse phase is complete and that could be of interest. Tks..s

Hi,
sprintman - I'll make some enquiries and let you know ASAP

In the meantine the "new" 3000 XP 5W-40 looks to be a good product and it has the "good" Euro Approvals. I've only seen it once on AutoBarn's shelves and that was in Brisbane

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary

According to an SAE paper done buy Chevron, D1 has about 20% AN and 2% ester, balance PAO.

Delo 400 did equivalently in terms of wear, fuel economy, etc. ad D1 over LOTS of miles and fleet use.

That said, wear-wise at least, this isnt consistent with what has been seen in the MB diesel comunity, at least.

Ill provide a citation for the paper later.

JMH

Hello,

has this citation been posted somewhere?

Can anyone please give me a link?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back