Good, simple home defense gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take it you don't like Glock's either?
wink.gif

Like you said to each his own, but as I said there's no need for concern just because the gun is made in Croatia.

Matt

I'd go with the 4" 357. S&W, Ruger, Tarus, Rossi, (personally a Python fan,,but daaaum they're expensive just to have laying around for the more inteligent thug who breaks in when your not home to pillage). All are fully reliable, and point and pull isn't too hard to remember even when adrenaline kicks in. The Charter .44 Special Bulldog mentioned is also an excellent choice.

Where do you shotgun guys keep 'em so that they're handy? Gun rack over the bed? Under bed with the dust bunnies? Or,, do you keep them in a much more unhandy location due to their size, bulkiness, uglyness in the homey comfortable look of the bedroom or study? While a shotgun is undeniabley a top choice for self defence (or close range offense, for that matter),are you as likely to actually pick it up and go investigate as you would be to grab a handgun that's far less conspicuous?

As the old Texas Ranger who wore his pistol to an awards banquet said to the matriarch when she asked if the pistol meant he expected trouble,,,"No mam, I'd a brung my rifle if I'd thought there'd be trouble.

Bob

Originally Posted By: Buffman
I take it you don't like Glock's either?
wink.gif

Like you said to each his own, but as I said there's no need for concern just because the gun is made in Croatia.

Matt

grin2.gif
I had two Glocks, a 23 and a 27 and sold both of them. Really fell in love with the S&W MP in .40 and picked up a new P229 in .40. (Always wanted a new Sig). The Glocks were good weapons, but hand feel is a big deal with me and they never felt right. The MP is nice because it comes with three different grips that are interchangeable.

The Sig was one that I always had on my list to buy, so I did. Next, I'd like to add an HK of some sort.

Originally Posted By: alreadygone

Where do you shotgun guys keep 'em so that they're handy? While a shotgun is undeniabley a top choice for self defence (or close range offense, for that matter),are you as likely to actually pick it up and go investigate as you would be to grab a handgun that's far less conspicuous?

Since I do not have kids, I keep mine in the corner behind my bedroom door. I'd absolutely pick that bad boy up before anything else because I have a flashlight with a grip switch on it.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
ColtAnaconda.jpg

Got one of them too! not quite as slick, nor is the fit and finish quite as good as a Python, but it has the lightest single action trigger pull of any factory gun I've ever fired. Almost scairy light!.

NOT what I'd consider a good simple home defense gun though.

Bob

Live in a townhome and had a
"scare" last night; very unusual noise sounded like someone broke in and heard water dripping inside the house. Walked through the whole house with the Walther after listening for more noises. Unfortunately, I was raised paranoid.

All I can say is....get the weapon you feel most comfortable in the worst situation. Something you are comfortable handling in all situations and don't worry about. Alot of people like Revolvers for their [censored]-near infallability. I like the extra capacity of a 10-15 round semi-auto.

Joe

If my buddy Glenn were still alive I'd ask him or buy something from him. He was big on the semi-autos, not so much the revolvers. As JoefromPA says, the best gun is one you feel comfortable with and don't have to worry about. A wheelgun sounds right to me in that regard.

There's an indoor range that Glenn and I used to go to, out in the suburbs. Their ad says that they have range gun rentals available, so I could try some different types and calibers to see what fits me. The palm bones of my hand are a bit shorter than average; a Walther P38 is an uncomfortable grip for me, while a Luger is perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about some Claymore mines strung up around the room and facing the window and door. Then have the remote control detonator in the night stand!

Or a good paranoid dog.

**Always best to keep em out first.

Last edited:
Sounds like a S&W or Ruger .38/.357 should fit the bill quite nicely. A good used four inch model 10 (blue) or 64 (stainless) S&W .38 should be easy to find and if not, then the Ruger GP100 in either .38 or .357, even new, isn't a bad price to pay. I'd use .38 special ammunition for in house defense for ease and speed of shooting and to save your hearing from the magnum blast of the .357. A good .38 special 158 grain +P Lead Semi Wad Cutter Hollow Point is just about optimum, heck, even just a standard pressure 158 grain LSWC will do...remember, it's shot placement that counts the most.

I've got a S&W M60 .357 onhold to probably buy tomorrow.

Any comments on this one...???

Thanks!

I haven't shot the .357 edition of the model 60 but I expect that it would be a handful with a .357 cartridge...using .38 specials should be quite nice...I have the "original" version with a 2 inch barrel in .38 special that has been a very good revolver, it needed a little help in the trigger department but it has been an excellent handgun.

I prefer S&W but do like the SP101, even if it's on the heavy side for it's size, as it seems pretty durable. The J frame S&W is light but doesn't seem to like a steady dose of full magnum loads, and neither will your hand. A Scandium will be even worse, nice to carry, but they're stupidly expensive. The L frame is my favorite as I like a muzzle heavy pistol.

For handguns I would take something simple and proven. I've had the old M9 (Beretta 92FS) on my hip for about 10 years now in the military. Great gun. Many don't care for it, but it's one of the most tested guns on earth. So was the gun that lost out to it, the Sig Sauer. I ultimately think something like a revolver, a Glock, or XD etc. would be the best choice. Only because if you are awoken, suddenly, or in a high stress situation, you can't beat the simplicity of operation. As long as a round is chambered simply point and shoot.

KISS is a great acronym used commonly in the military-- Keep It Simple Stupid

- At 115 beats per minute (bpm) most people will loose fine complex motor skills such as finger dexterity, eye hand co-ordination, multi tasking becomes difficult
- At 145 bpm, most people will loose complex motor skills (3 or more motor skills designed to work in unison)
- At approximately 175 bpm, a person will experience an eye/lid lift, their pupils will dilate and flatten. As this reaction takes place, a person will experience visual narrowing (commonly known as tunnel vision). This is why it is very common for a person to back up from a threat in order to get more information through this tunnel. It is also at this point in time that a person becomes "binocular" rather than "monocular"

Glock 22 or Compact G-23

.40 S&W

15 round mags

155 grain Winchester LE Ammo.

FBI's choice for carry.

Tons of firepower. Tons of reliability. Tons of tests and study.

$ 500.00

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Remington 870 pump shotgun, 12g 00 Buck, 18.5" barrel.

Frank D

I used to think the same way.

A fellow in LE told me that it is very difficult to get "old Betsy" to go around corners in one's home. Some do feel that a handgun is what you use to get to your long gun.

If the Glock 22 is good enough for all FBI agents it should be fine for "Joe the Plumber"...15 rounds of .40 S&W HP's....firepower!

User preference is empiric..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Remington 870 pump shotgun, 12g 00 Buck, 18.5" barrel.

Frank D

At "Home Defense" ranges (distances) you have to aim a shotgun. That bunk about point and shoot is just that. At 10 feet, with #8 bird shot, out of an 18" open choke barreled Mossy 500, My pattern can be covered with a 6" desert plate. With 00 buck it can be covered with the donut that was on the plate. Revolver or pistol is the better choice. Use the long guns for outside disturbances.

Shotgun Tests

Originally Posted By: Pete591

User preference is empiric..

Opinions vary, I got my info from a buddy who trained LE. For the average person the shotgun is IMO the way to go. No hassle or expense with getting a pistol permit (NY), and with a little training the shotgun can easily do the job. Probably less training than using a pistol.

JMO,
Frank D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back