Purolator Pur One PL14477 Toyota Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my Pure one off my Corolla after 11K miles. Used it for two oci's of Valvoline Synpower 5W30. First run 6250 miles, second run just over 5K.

1103081435.jpg

1103081435a.jpg

1103081441.jpg

1103081441a.jpg

1103081436a.jpg

1103081443a.jpg

1103081437.jpg

1103081437a.jpg

1103081444.jpg

1103081443.jpg

Great pics,

Looks like all held up well. It's dirty though. Time fer a new one. ADBV looks real good.

My only complaint with Purolater's, is that 2 of their filters, a PP and a PureOne, both weeped oil from the Gasket. Other brands did not.

The last picture indicates the media is covered with thin sludge.

Does Toyota recommend changing oil filter every second oil change ? For warranty purposes, you should follow the recommendation for oil filter change.

This example is the reason I like cartridge filter better. Of the 3 cars I have, '00 MB E430 uses cartridge filter on top of the engine, remove the oil filter housing at middle of an OCI allows me to examine the condition the the filter and also the oil, if the filter shows a slight sludge I would change it right away. Fortunately, the filter always cleaned of any sludge or debris even after 12k miles of use.

The filter efficiency keeps improving as it gets older, until the point when it gets totally clogged up, and then the bypass kicks in. It looks like your filter medium is nicely pleated and has a huge surface area, so I would say it is probably still working extremely well. I change my filters every other time as well, I might go a max of 10,000 miles on one filter. Your drainage oil is probably a bit discolored, but still basically clean. If you have access to a microscope, it might be interesting to put a few drops
of the drained oil on a glass slide and look at it under the microscope, and then take a few drops from the dirty side of the filter and look at that under a microscope as a control, to verify that your engine oil is still being properly filtered.

It's really hard to tell from this picture. Is it possible to unhook the media from the base and stretch it on a table to see what it caught?

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
It's really hard to tell from this picture. Is it possible to unhook the media from the base and stretch it on a table to see what it caught?

If it's anything like the PL14476 off my Corolla, it's probably possible, but you'd really make a mess of it in doing so. It was bonded to the metal end plates extremely well.

Originally Posted By: scoobie
The filter efficiency keeps improving as it gets older, until the point when it gets totally clogged up, and then the bypass kicks in.

I am not sure, technically, the "efficiency" improves.

What happens is that it captures smaller and smaller particles as the larger pores for the oil clog.

On the other hand, due to decreased flow capacity, it bypasses more and more often under acceleration.

Since efficiency is a measure of the percentage of particles of all sizes it captures, somewhere short of bypassing altogether the efficiency probably drops.

Hi all,

I already threw out the filter but it is wrapped in one of the absobant oil spill cloths, so maybe I can still salvage it and see about laying it out. See how it goes.

I forget off hand but I think for warranty it is every 5K or 6 months oil and filter change, I dont recall seeing anything in the manual about changing the oil filter every other change.

I have a Mobil 1 M-103 on there now with Amsoil 0W20 in it. I will cut that one open im guessing around the may time frame. (thanks for the tips on cutting it open Jason, although it took me 3 wheels to get it off but now I know it is just a thin cut I have to do, i was trying too hard to cut it and was thinking i had to go all the way into the filter if that makes sense)

I did not send in this sample for uoa but now kinda wish I had to see what they would have said about insolubles and filtration

Nice pics 02z,

Filter looks pretty spent in that last picture, but you got some great mileage from this Pure One. Wouldn't hesitate to use another one.

I have been running an Amsoil EA series filter since 1000 miles on my Corolla, so I'll be cutting that one open at 11,000 miles and post results as well.

Thanks again for the work you put into this.

Jon

Yes, thanks for the photos. These filters sure do seem to be very good filters for the money. I'll cut my YZZF2 filter open in another 3k miles when I change the oil again and we'll see how she looks.

it was fun actually, the pics i took with my camera phone, LG Dare and I think they came out very well.

i have 13 PL14610 for my bike and probably around the same of the 14477 for the corolla plus a few 14476 so i will certainly run them in the future. I just felt the M1 filter would probably do better over the longer oci and winter, but im sure the Pure 1 would probably have done just as good.

Did you happen to test the leaf spring on the bypass valve? I swear the leaf spring is on my last PL14476 Purolator was so tight... I have no idea if it would even open.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss

I retrieved the filter, I wouldn’t say I unhooked it more than I mutilated it the heck out of it, I will post the pics tonight did not see anything in it but maybe you will be able to spot something

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Did you happen to test the leaf spring on the bypass valve? I swear the leaf spring is on my last PL14476 Purolator was so tight... I have no idea if it would even open.

I noticed the same on mine. If you bent it some, it did not spring back. It did not seem like a good design. Mine was also from the PL14476. I would prefer a coil spring setup.

Your camera takes some great pics 02! Those are crisp and clear. I'd run the Purolator with confidence, but first I have to use up the 120,000 miles of Mobil 1 filters I stocked up with. haahaheheh

yup, and like i said it is the camera off my phone 3.2 megapixel, plus it has an auto-focus feature which makes it take about 3 seconds to take the picture but they always come out nice and crisp.

Originally Posted By: Rolf
Originally Posted By: scoobie
The filter efficiency keeps improving as it gets older, until the point when it gets totally clogged up, and then the bypass kicks in.

I am not sure, technically, the "efficiency" improves.

What happens is that it captures smaller and smaller particles as the larger pores for the oil clog.

On the other hand, due to decreased flow capacity, it bypasses more and more often under acceleration.

Since efficiency is a measure of the percentage of particles of all sizes it captures, somewhere short of bypassing altogether the efficiency probably drops.

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back