Motors that keep going and going...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about the dodge 3.3/3.8 engines? I've seen lots of high mileage minivans, the tranny's weren't that great but the engines are pretty reliable.

Some SAAB engines also lasted an extremely long time.
If you never let your timing belt break, a Nissan VG30 engine lasts a long time, however, I have heard several horror stories about the Nissan VG33 engines. The Nissan KA24 engine lasts a long time, and when it dies, a SR20DET is a perfect fit.

This makes me wonder...
Would it be easier to start a thread called "Engines that die early" or something like that?

Honda f series engines( mine wont die)
GM 3.1,3.8
Chrysler 2.5,4.0,4.7
ford Vulcan 3.0,4.6,5.4

Last edited:
Nothing profound to really add here, but I'll mention some old customers' vehicles back when I used to turn a wrench. Most of the time vehicle rust got to these before the engine cashed in its chips.

GM 3.1L 300+k miles (Two lower-intake gaskets)
GM 3.8L (4 with over 200k, 3 with over 250k, 1 with over 370k miles)
GM 350 (10+ with over 175k, 3 with over 300k, 1 with over 400k miles that was a farm truck)
GM 2.2L (Cavalier platform--6 with over 150k, 2 with over 200k)
Ford 3.0L (3 with over 200k)
Ford 4.6L (4 with over 150k)
Chrysler (3.3L 2 with over 150k -- seems like the transmission was the limiting factor)

We didn't have many Asian models there for work being in a small, rural area.

My 1997 Chevy cavalier has 205k with everything being original except the abs and the timing belt. I met my wife when the cavalier only had 100k. My first oil change on the cavalier showed it was almost a quart low.
It currently doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil or any fluid for that matter. The auto trans saw it's first flush at 180k.

My 1999 Jeep grand cherokee with the 4.0L has 129k and still runs like new. We bought it with 104k from a family friend for 3k and it has served us well for the last 2 years. I had to swap out the alternator and rear main seal but thats about it.

Last edited:
The gas 4.2 M116 V8 Mercedes motors in the W126 S-class cars are good for a very long time if the timing chain and guides are serviced properly.

The earlier cast iron block 4.5 V8 motors were basically indestructable, as far as the bottom end is concerned, for 500,000+...

Not too fuel efficient, but built!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back