Mobil 1 grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
So it is!

The 4 ball EP is quite a bit different as well.

Really makes me wonder if the stuff sold in the USA is Group III based....

I just lubed my truck yesterday with the Mobil-1 "red" synthetic grease (USA), thats several years old. The grease gun leaked a LOT of red oil all over the place. It looked like someone shot a hole in my tranny. and after I was done, I thought I broke off my tranny cooling line before I noticed that the gun was leaking oil from the bottom. The oil is not suppose to come out of the thickener until it gets real hot, than it's suppose to get absorbed back when it cools down. At least thats what i was taught about how grease works. Mobil-1 red synthetic does NOT have moly. I will be switching back to Valvoline synthetic blend moly grease. I originally bought the M-1 because it stated that it was more water resistant than the other types of grease.

I'm not a fan on how much Mobil 1 seperates. I have red fluid all over the floor under where my gun hangs. I think next time I'll be trying one of Valvoline's greases.

Try this, it will not bleed off. I've had very good luck with it greasing just about everything.

Red Line Synthetic CV-2 Grease

Red Line CV-2 Grease is designed to withstand the extreme temperatures and pressures which occur in high-performance wheel bearings and CV-joints. The excellent high-temperature stability, extreme- pressure protection, and water resistance enables it to out-perform even the best conventional or synthetic greases. Red Line CV-2 Grease can be used in a wide range of applications at temperatures ranging between -100°F to 500°F and provides good oxidation and corrosion resistance, low evaporation and oil separation, and has a minimum effect on rubber seals. Possesses a very high melting point, excellent water washout resistance and superior antiwear which makes it excellent for high temperatures and extreme loads. CV-2 contains an organic moly and is for wheel bearings, high angle and conventional CV joints, chassis lubrication and high temperature, high speed industrial equipment. The exceptional extreme- pressure performance and the fluidity of the synthetic oil allows increases in bearing life of 200% to 800%. Red Line CV-2 Grease will retain its consistency and extreme-pressure performance under high- temperature and high-shear conditions for extended periods, which extends the performance ranges of the lubricated components. Red Line CV-2 will darken after high-temperature use; this darkening will not detrimentally effect the performance of the grease. Although Red Line CV-2 is compatible with small amounts of many petroleum-based greases, it is always good lubrication practice to thoroughly clean out the old grease to eliminate abrasive particles and to minimize the possibility of grease incompatibility.

I've been using Mobil 1 Grease for years and I've noticed the same thing with it dripping from the grease gun. Will there be any problems switching (compatibility) to the Red Line Grease for the front end?

Thanks,
Frank D

Thanks, I'll pull the plunger on the gun. Do you see any compatibility issues changing to RL synthetic grease?

Frank D

Mixing grease for vital components is never a good idea IMHO. There are some nice tables out there that show very general grease type compatibility, but these charts don't take into account grease brand and application, nor age of existing grease.

If you change, just clean and start again. Shouldn't be a problem.

Wheel bearings clean up pretty easy. The only issue is ball joints with the rubber boots. King pins, get flushed out when the new grease is pumped in so they shouldn't be an issue at all. Maybe I'll just stick with the Mobil synthetic grease.

Thanks,
Frank D

I used bought a tube of Supertech "red" lithium/moly grease for use on my short shifter. Less than $3 vs. $8 for a tube of Mobil One full synthetic.

And that's a critical component to me :)

Joe

I'm a believer in using grease that meets Spicer universal-joint specifications. Many OTC greases don't. Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp LC #2 does. It is an excellent grease for wheel bearings also. I'm a BIG believer in Mobil-1 products generally and have used their engine oils in all 10 of our vehicle engines. However, the M-1 grease isn't particularly heavy-duty as mentioned above, in the US version. I do have several tubes, but seldom use it. The Canadian specs. are plenty heavy-duty. I'd certainly use it if I lived in that beautiful land.

Originally Posted By: SmrtJustin
I'm not a fan on how much Mobil 1 seperates. I have red fluid all over the floor under where my gun hangs. I think next time I'll be trying one of Valvoline's greases.

Yep, I learned that the hard way, although it was my fault. Left the gun with pressure on in a hot garage this summer. Underneath the grease gun lies large puddle of separated grease all over my open toolbox. I spent an hour cleaning every socket and ratchet. Lesson learned.
thumbsup2.gif

I anxiously await my Amsoil order, I'm going to give the 2000 grease a try and the HD synthetic grease a try.
Thanks Gary Allan...........

Frank D

Originally Posted By: SmrtJustin

X2

I use M1 grease because it works noticeably better than 'regular grease', making things slide easier under higher loads on things around the car and house that needed grease. I threw out a can of Pennzoil grease because it was no contest.

I did buy a can of Valvoline 'Ford' grease for my son's wheel bearings on his F150, a moly additive grease, but M1 grease is what I keep in the gun and for general use.

Originally Posted By: 1sttruck
I use M1 grease because it works noticeably better than 'regular grease', making things slide easier under higher loads on things around the car and house that needed grease. I threw out a can of Pennzoil grease because it was no contest.

I did buy a can of Valvoline 'Ford' grease for my son's wheel bearings on his F150, a moly additive grease, but M1 grease is what I keep in the gun and for general use.

I noticed the same. It works better than any grease I have ever used before.

Reviving this old thread...

I looked up the UPC codes for Mobil 1 grease at the car parts store:

Tub 0 71924 96103 6
Cartridge 0 71924 96102 9

Both state "Made in USA" on the container.

Would be interesting to see if the Mobil 1 grease sold in Canada has different UPC numbers - which MAY indicate that it is a different product.

I'm not a fan of M1 grease either, even back before I began to stray from Mobil 1 products I stopped using M1 grease because of the separation issue. IMHO, it's unsuitable for chassis use, or anywhere the seal doesn't seal 100%, like ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. It's OK for wheel bearings and the like, but that's about it.

I started using Valvoline SynPower (which still has minor separation once used, but nowhere near M1 levels) greases until I tried Red Line CV-2, which has provided me with zero apparent oil separation and is suitable for use everywhere on a passenger car. It's the perfect one size fits all grease, IMO.

M1 grease works very good for wheel bearings. My sons 91 Ranger has 340K on the truck and the front bearings where greased with M1. She's still runnin on the original bearings.

I used to work in a machine shop that rebuilt heavy equiptment for steel related companies. High heat problems. Where temperature was a factor we always used M1 grease and it would hold up great where others failed.

I noticed also in trailer bearings M1 always kept the bearings cool, even under heavy loads.

I use

Mobil 1 grease for wheel bearings
Valvoline Durablend/Synpower grease (with moly) for chassis parts
Mystik JT-6 high temp for u-joints (on Dana Spicers approved list)

Mainly a matter of what greases I already have. After I use up the Mobil 1, I might start using the Mystik JT-6 for wheel bearings as well. I'll stick with a moly fortified grease for heavy loaded chassis parts - and the Valvoline greases worked well so far for this purpose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back