The Economy How Do You Keep Your Car Dependable ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Money matters to most everyone. People are buying Auto-Rx to keep there cars on the road (while they try to accumulate cash needed for replacemant parts) smart mechanics are using Auto-Rx just for that reason (they keep there customers, get the oil change/filter business) and at some point the customers money to relace worn parts.

Auto-Rx alters the effect of wear, since worn parts have been starved for lubrication (increasing wear) we can.t fix broken parts or seals that have been ripped or torn, when one of these defects is evident the customer has no choice. When it,s not the customer has an inexpensive way to stay on the road.

Last edited:
IMO

Q: "The Economy How Do You Keep Your Car Dependable?"

A: Pro-active maintenance, ideally DIY to save cash

Agreed. Once you let repairs slide or simply patch the car so it can limp along, its demise is just around the corner.

Fix it right, give it what it needs on a timely basis, and the car will serve you a long time.

There are no shortcuts.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

A: By not needlessly spending gobs of cash on oil additives.

Good point. I am not taking sides but engines last a long time, very long time without using anything but plan old oil (even dino).

For me, anyone that states engine last longer using certain products, are full of it.

I'd say you're correct, dargo. I think the distinction in most cases is what condition they're in at the time that they're retired. People tend to get a few "leading in decay economic indicators" on a vehicle that usually says "I'd better start looking for another car". If the engine is consuming oil or starts developing lifter ticks and whatnot ..added to a few other fatigue type ticket items ...
21.gif
OTOH, if you've got confidence in your trans (a challenge) and the engine, you've reduced the pile up on that side of the scale.

It's the same argument I make for synthetic oils and top tier filtration even if there isn't necessarily a direct cost:benefit compared to a commercial application. While it may not make sense to put a bypass on a newer Cummins or Power Stroke ..if I can avoid some EGR or other incidental problem down the road that could cause me to either throw in the towel for the hassle aspect ..or endure an expensive repair ....
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I'd say you're correct, dargo. I think the distinction in most cases is what condition they're in at the time that they're retired. People tend to get a few "leading in decay economic indicators" on a vehicle that usually says "I'd better start looking for another car". If the engine is consuming oil or starts developing lifter ticks and whatnot ..added to a few other fatigue type ticket items ...
21.gif
OTOH, if you've got confidence in your trans (a challenge) and the engine, you've reduced the pile up on that side of the scale.

It's the same argument I make for synthetic oils and top tier filtration even if there isn't necessarily a direct cost:benefit compared to a commercial application. While it may not make sense to put a bypass on a newer Cummins or Power Stroke ..if I can avoid some EGR or other incidental problem down the road that could cause me to either throw in the towel for the hassle aspect ..or endure an expensive repair ....
21.gif

Yup, I know my Powerchoke worked well on Amsoil AME oil...No bypass needed (price was too high).

Anyone whom says it (adds etc) lasts longer, etc are selling a product.YMMV

Yep DIY all the time. Very rarely let a mechanic do any work.

So all engines last the same running all types and brands of oils???? I don't buy that. But to each their own.......

+1 On that!!

Stick to a good OCI and thats all you need.

Oil additives like Auto-Rx work in a slight degree. If I had a old car that I bought used, I would use Auto-Rx.

I would never use it in my car, or a car that has had great UOAs.

In my opinion, useing Auto-rx all the time in your engine, is like taking Cold Meds all the time to prevent one from getting a cold. Your body dose not need or want that unless it is called for in a extreme case, just like you cars engine.

Thats an opinion above backed up with no facts.

Auto-Rx® product added to the crankcase, not only works slowly and safely to dissolve contaminants, it also does not disrupt the host oil chemistry. It does provide for a lower coefficient of friction, it improves oil film Auto-Rx® does a lot more than clean. Auto-Rx® does this by capturing blow-by combustion by-product contaminants, so the ad packs don't get depleted by the contaminants. Auto-Rx® will work as you drive, liquefying the dirty deposits of sludge, carbon and other debris in your engine, and preventing clogs in the flow of your engines oil.

Test data located on http://www.auto-rx.com substaniates this.

Use a good quality oil/filter and change at reasonable intervals . There is NO reason to use oil additives if the above advice is followed. The largest{and most times ONLY} benefit of oil additives is to the company selling them, not to the end user.

In a tough economy, I guess lots of people arnt blowing money on tonics and other magic fixes in a bottle......

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
In my opinion, useing Auto-rx all the time in your engine, is like taking Cold Meds all the time to prevent one from getting a cold. Your body dose not need or want that unless it is called for in a extreme case, just like you cars engine.

An engine and a body aren't even remotely similar, so this is not a valid comparison.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: qship1996
Use a good quality oil/filter and change at reasonable intervals . There is NO reason to use oil additives if the above advice is followed. The largest{and most times ONLY} benefit of oil additives is to the company selling them, not to the end user.

In a tough economy, I guess lots of people are not blowing money on tonics and other magic fixes in a bottle......

Another one I agree with!

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Frank
Thats an opinion above backed up with no facts.

Auto-Rx® product added to the crankcase, not only works slowly and safely to dissolve contaminants, it also does not disrupt the host oil chemistry. It does provide for a lower coefficient of friction, it improves oil film Auto-Rx® does a lot more than clean. Auto-Rx® does this by capturing blow-by combustion by-product contaminants, so the ad packs don't get depleted by the contaminants. Auto-Rx® will work as you drive, liquefying the dirty deposits of sludge, carbon and other debris in your engine, and preventing clogs in the flow of your engines oil.

Test data located on http://www.auto-rx.com substaniates this.

Frank, first of all NO disrespect here.

But, How in the heck have I gone for over 30 years of operating my families vehicles over hundreds of thousands of miles (EACH ONE) with never buying a product like yours?

Using yesterdays oils (which were worst than today's) and leaded gas in a engine with a carb (again both MUCH worst for deposits than today's fuel/engines).

Your product works when the engine has not been maintained correctly or has a design flaw. It does NOT fix major design problems IMO.

But to say that if you don't run this additive or that type of oil in normal cars you can not get long dependable life is just incorrect.

30 plus years with many vehicles making 200+k miles (and 2 making 300k+) is a FACT.

Again, NO disrespect here.

Take care, bill

Well Bill no direspect you just spent your money (when we all had some) heres some reasons why its more important than ever to use Auto-Rx as preventive maintenance. From a mechanic please read below.

I have a small engine building shop here in fl, with 24 years experience building automotive engines. I specialize in doing japanese engines, in particular toyota trucks and 4runners. I would like to share my experiences with AUTO RX.

1 - nissan 3.0 v6 in a p/u, high mileage, with a severe rear main leak. Completely stopped with only autorx.

2 - Dodge caravan 3.0v6 (mitsubishi) with a knocking from the auto trans. Stopped with autorx.

3- honda accord 1.8, with stuck rings. Stopped burning oil during second treatment.

4 - and the most impressive - Toyota 4wd, 217,000 mi, 22re, severly sludged. the sludge had crystalized and riddled with carbon grit. I told the owner I didn't think the engine would last, but offered to try some autorx in it. He ran it for 1,800 miles on the first bottle (yes, I advised him otherwise)and returned the truck to me. I removed the valve cover, and to tell the truth, I was floored! The sludge was all solublized, and there was none of the grit in the oil I expected. I am even seeing bare metal in some places. I knew this engine would be what would make or break AutoRX in my opinion.

As A mechanic, I see a definite place for autorx in my shop. There are many vehicles that aren't worth the cost of an engine rebuild or replacement. If they are leaking, sludged, or suffering from gummed up lifters, Autorx is a way for me - as a shop owner - to effectively repair thier engine, make some money, and develop a devoted customer. I will continue to use AutoRX, and it's a welcome addition to my toolbox.

Steve - Florida

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

But to say that if you don't run this additive or that type of oil in normal cars you can not get long dependable life is just incorrect.

I asked the same thing(s) and well, I got a tisk tisk from the mods/owner. So watch out here.......I agree and it is nothing short of a sales pitch. It is like if you do not use something, an engine will die!! Use a good oil and be done with it.

Frank,

And most of your examples there are due to people NOT following (like most owners) the recommended OCI. (and there are millions still on the road even with that)

1. Stopped ONLY by Auto-RX? So replacing the rear main seal did not fix it?

I've NEVER had a real oil main leak. The worst I've had is a valve cover leak @ 40k miles. Took the cover off. Spotless. Replaced the gasket.

2. Wonder if the automatic transmission had fluid changes. So the knock stopped and the transmission went on for how many more miles?

3. How many miles on the accord? What was the HISTORY of oil changes. Again, for how long? (This shop owner had the rings "un-stuck" within minutes of applying Auto-RX? Because we all know that the shop is going to take a lot of time to fix problems)

One line comments (testimonials) for me don't cut it.

4. I had (and sold it to a friend who still has it) a 1982 Toyota SR5 pickup with 22r motor. It has REAL close to 300k on it. Runs PERFECT. Gone through 2 carbs but other than the body(mostly the bed) rusted though it is still doing great. Never seen anything but Valvoline conventional every 4k miles. Uses about a 1/2 quart of oil every 4k and is clean under the valve cover.

Maybe that is where you need to direct your product, to shops that don't want to make the $$ fixing a problem but pouring in something that fixes it another way.

Quote:
you just spent your money (when we all had some) heres some reasons why its more important than ever to use Auto-Rx as preventive maintenance

Again, HOW is it saving money spending it for something that I have never NEEDED? (again, I have never had "issues" that Auto-RX would fix...)

Quote:
I asked the same thing(s) and well, I got a tisk tisk from the mods/owner. So watch out here.......

Thanks Dargo for the tip! I'm not worried. I believe and have seen Auto-Rx clean up some stuff. But I am convinced that the stuff it cleaned up was caused by lack of design or more likely LACK of PROPER maintenance.

The stuff works, but I just don't think it is needed every second a engine is run.

But I don't sell the stuff.

I wish Frank the best of luck. Running a business is hard. I respect anyone trying to make it.
cheers3.gif

Take care, bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back