Switching to synthetic for winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: firemachine69
I'm tempted by the thought of an oil heating pad, links?

Google: Wolverine Heaters, that should get you what you're looking for :)

Frank D

I've got one, they're great. :!...when I can plug in....
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Shiet..-30 to -20 where do you live the North Pole???

Dude, we get that in southern Ontario. That's not cold. Winnipeg is COLD.

Yes. It certainly is...everytime I have been there (in winter), it's always colder than in Edmonton.

Originally Posted By: D-Roc

Yes. It certainly is...everytime I have been there (in winter), it's always colder than in Edmonton.

Hey, not to hijack, but you have a diesel. Question for you: How long do you run your block heater for in the morning? Looks like we will be getting that Excursion (fingers crossed) and this will be the first diesel I've ever actually owned. Oil will be M1 TDT 5w40. Ford advises for anything colder than -15 I think, that you have to plug it in....?

Originally Posted By: D-Roc

Hey, not to hijack, but you have a diesel. Question for you: How long do you run your block heater for in the morning? Looks like we will be getting that Excursion (fingers crossed) and this will be the first diesel I've ever actually owned. Oil will be M1 TDT 5w40. Ford advises for anything colder than -15 I think, that you have to plug it in....?

When I run my block heater in Edmonton, the temp is usually around -15 celsius or colder (which can be quite often in Alberta during the winter. I guess that would be around 6 Farenheight or so...

Last edited:
Quote:

We always plug them in overnight any time we have access to an outlet, if the temp's below about 25 degrees F. Probably doesn't HAVE to be plugged in, but it sure makes 'em seem to start easier in the AM.

I have ran full synthetic in winter and went back to dino or semi-syn for the rest of the year with no problems in both of my cars. I have also ran 5w30 and 10w30 full synthetic (PAO) in summer in my 5w20 spec'd Honda. Why, because that's what I have in my stash. I have switched from dino to syn and from brand to brand for years and have never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back