High Mileage Vs. Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys.

Currently 3 of my vehicles have over 75K on them. A 99 and 01 Sunfire GT and a 99 Outback. I really want to use a Synthetic Oil but also want the benefits of high mileage additives. The closest I have found is the Valvoline Max Life semi synthetic. I know valvoline also makes a full synthetic high mileage but it's not available in stores around me and is god awful expensive to order.

I've been very impressed by the Penzoil Platinum lately in my Trans Am. Oil pressure was much higher at idle than with the mobil1. Also I notice that synthetics are thinner when colder which is better for start up protection.

What about using PP and substituting one quart of HM oil? Or should I just switch them all to Maxlife and be happy?

Strait up PP will be fine.

Of course so would Maxlife.

I don't like to mix, you'll just be diluting the add pack.

Why not run your favorite with a 3-4 ox Auto-RX maintenance dose. Keeps all the seals in good shape as well as keeping the engine internals clean.

Just a thought.

You do not have a Walmart nearby?

They will probably have the full SYN Maxlife and Mobil 1 HM.

Have 3 walmarts near me. None of them carry the Full Synthetic. The full Synthetic is in a SILVER bottle. The semi is what is in the red bottles and is what is commonly available.

The Subaru does leak oil a little. Both the Sunfire's also burn at least a quart every 3K. The oil burning is what made me switch from Mobil 1. My sunfire (the 01) Has maxlife in it now. It's the first fill since I switched. Think I should do another oil change with it and see if my consumption goes down? It burned a quart after 2K.

If you're burning that much on a Sunfire, I'd use the MaxLife blend over the PP.

I've MaxLife 10W-30 in mine (2.2L SE- not as much fun to drive as yours, but a very stout engine) with no noticeable consumption. And that's with an upper valve cover leak and an engine that was abused on at least the previous oil change (the oil looked like tar) though the new oil is still relatively clean after 1500 miles...

Incidentally, Mobil1 DOES make a high mileage in both 10W-30 and 10W-40 weights, but I'd skip synthetic if you're burning that much...

The Subaru might be a good candidate for the Mobil1 HM 10W-30 though, but I'd go for an extended OCI (of 6-7.5K) or else you're wasting your $$.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back