Fram Tough Guard = the win?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The Toughguard for my application is different from what it used to look like. It looks better now.

Maybe BITOG is read by too many people ..and they had to upgrade it a bit
LOL.gif

Gary, I thought that very thing while standing there at Walmart peering inside the orange (gray actually) can of doom! We cut their market share too much and they had to respond!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: glenncof
The ToughGuard is "darn" good filtration and should be considered at the right price.
Every filter has its trade-offs but this one, at least on filtration, is right up near the top.

Where did you ever get a notion like this ?
I have no idea what data you're basing this statement on but the bubble point test data I saw on the Frams clearly showed them to be inferior filters compared to virtually any other oil filter. This is for the Tough Guard and Extra Guard. The are "darn" poor oil filters !

The Fram Extended Guard (synthetic media, silicone ADBV and metal end caps) actually tested fairly well, but it was the only model that did. Unfortunately it's priced at nearly twice the cost of other filters with similar features and filtering performance.

Originally Posted By: va3ux
The ToughGuard is "darn" good filtration and should be considered at the right price.
Every filter has its trade-offs but this one, at least on filtration, is right up near the top.

I have no idea what data you're basing this statement on but the bubble point test data I saw on the Frams clearly showed them to be inferior filters compared to virtually any other oil filter. This is for the Tough Guard and Extra Guard. The are "darn" poor oil filters !

The Fram Extended Guard (synthetic media, silicone ADBV and metal end caps) actually tested fairly well, but it was the only model that did. Unfortunately it's priced at nearly twice the cost of other filters with similar features and filtering performance.

Fram claims 99% multipass efficiency for the Toughguard. Something like a regular Purolator is only 96%, and a regular Fram is only 94%.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

Fram claims 99% multipass efficiency for the Toughguard. Something like a regular Purolator is only 96%, and a regular Fram is only 94%.

Using what particle size on the test? The filters for diesels are all checked using the 10-micron Cummins test at one or both official flow-rates...... Passenger car filters seem to be all over the map.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I think they'll all make Beta100=1000 ...99.9%

HAHAHAHAHHHA
grin2.gif
leave it to you Gary
wink.gif

They were OK this summer when they were offered at AAP or Pep-Boys free when you bought 5 qts of PP for $19.99 with no rebates! Would I buy them alone, and not part of a package? No. I'll stick with the Purolator Pure One filters.

With all that in mind, the 3 I had seemed to be of good quality.

Frank D

My take...anything other than the infamous orange can is not bad at all. While they don't appear to offer the finer filtration that some of us seek, they appear to be well constructed.

As I recall the ToughGuard box (TG2) specifies SAE J1858 (multipass) procedure 10-20 microns, let's call it 99% @ 15um nominal. I consider it in the PureOne and M1 class for tested filtration.

As a benchmark: WIX 51372 equivalent betas are 2/20=12/25, which as I understand means 50% @ 12um and 95% @ 25um.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lui
the toughguard filters are exactly the same as the regular orange can filters. the only diffrence is there is a metal screen over the bypass valve.

unless they re-designed it recently like the original poster said?
The TG filters have always been different than the orange can.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
My take...anything other than the infamous orange can is not bad at all. While they don't appear to offer the finer filtration that some of us seek, they appear to be well constructed.
Gary the T.G. on greases bubble tests are pretty good .

Not buying it for a minute. Sorry. Grease's study (unfortunately not up) didn't support any Fram as having any upscale filtering ability. An ST was at par with all of them.

As I recall the ToughGuard box (TG2) specifies SAE J1858 (multipass) procedure 10-20 microns, let's call it 99% @ 15um nominal. I consider it in the PureOne and M1 class for tested filtration.

As a benchmark: WIX 51372 equivalent betas are 2/20=12/25, which as I understand means 50% @ 12um and 95% @ 25um.

The PureONE is tested via the ISO 4548-12 procedure according to Purolator.

From Donaldson:

Quote:
Testing Standard
The ISO 4548/12 multi-pass test is a widely accepted industry standard
test used by OEMs for the purpose of evaluating and comparing the
effi ciency and capacity of liquid fi ltration products.
Test results are an average from the testing of three product samples in
accordance with ISO 4548/12 specifi cations. The ISO 4548/12 specifi es ISO
12103 test dust. Test data reported at 25 psid terminal restriction point.

Diesel engine filters are all tested at 10-microns using this procedure. Automotive filters seem to be tested at whatever rating gives the best number
wink.gif

FROM: http://www.powdertechnologyinc.com/filtration-standards/filtration-standards.php

Apparently they make dust for testing filters.

The page says:

===============
ISO 4548-12: Filtration Efficiency using Particle Counting, & Contaminant Retention Capacity

SAE J 1858 Oil Filter Multipass Method is cancelled.
ISO 4548-12 has been adopted by SAE

ISO 12103-1, A3 Medium Test Dust

===============

They also have particle size distribution charts. along with a history on test dust.

I always wondered about what was used for beta testing.

Yessir! And the thing about ISO 4548-12 is that it can be done using a variety of different sizes; it is simply a procedure from my understanding of it.

SO, the Cummins Test uses 4548-12 to be tested at 10 microns using two different flow rates. The results that are posted must specify which flow rate was tested.

Donaldson uses BOTH flow rates in their tests and will cite results for each.

Sometimes they come wrapped in an oil change deal, they then are usually reasonably priced. I have used them in such situations, definetly appear better than the standard orange can. I would not pay normal price but clearance or a good deal, sure.

Hard to argue there. The upper offerings do seem to be solid filters. It's just that the baseline is so over priced that they have to raise the ante too high for a decent filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back