Brake fluid was greenish brown???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the turkey baster method and got around 12 ounces of fluid out and it had an obvious green hue to it and was slightly brown. The fluid is undoubtedly the original and 5 years old with 73,XXX miles on it.

I added a $1.99 12 ounce bottle of the knock-off brand DOT 3 from Auto-Zone. The fluid obviously went in clear and instantly turned dark when mixing with the other fluid. I figure for $1.99 a bottle I will do it 2-3 more times over the next couple weeks.

For 5 years old and more than 70k miles, you should flush the brake system. It is not that hard with a helper, if you don't have helper then you should buy Motive Power Bleeder then you can easily flush the brake system by yourself.

Turkey baster fluid changes aren't the way to flush the brakes. All you are doing id changing the fluid it the reservoir.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Turkey baster fluid changes aren't the way to flush the brakes. All you are doing id changing the fluid it the reservoir.

I wondered about that. I did not know if there was a loop in the system or not.

Oh well, the reservoir has new fluid. Guess I will just have to flush the whole thing then.

I have seen brake fluid two years old come out of the bleeders at the wheels a dark green/brown. Horrible color. From knowing the chemistry, I would guess this is the result of the brake fluid extracting some materials from the rubber brake line which then react with water absorbed into the fluid around the area of the wheel cylinders. There are no doubt some additives to the polyethylene glycol to prevent corrosion, oxidation, etc that may be reacting over time to give these colored products.

Definitely time for a flush to get this old fluid out of there.

Turkey baster flushes will mix with the whole system, since there is so much movement.
Of course it takes longer to achieve clear fluid than a pressure bleed.
Even if you bleed or gravity bleed the system, you did the right thing by sucking out the old and putting fresh fluid in the reservoir first.
Since it is so clean and easy, you may want to suck and fill every week for a few weeks. Then, I'd at least gravity bleed them if you have the time and place to do so.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
you may want to suck and fill every week for a few weeks. Then, I'd at least gravity bleed them if you have the time and place to do so.

Sure, that kind of labor is so much fun, why not make it a few weeks worth of entertainment?

BFluid8.jpg

Here is mine old fluid.

Originally Posted By: Lost Pup

Here is mine old fluid.

It looks like you have Mityvac 7201 and Brake Bleeding Accessory. How easy it is to flush the brake system with Brake Bleeding Accessory ? What is the part number of your Brake Bleeding Accessory ?

Turkey baster flushes will mix with the whole system, since there is so much movement.

I'm not sure that's right. The movement in brake fluid is kind of small and the runs are very long. I guess if we are talking about a year or more then you may get some new fluid near the cylinders. However, I would doubt that new fluid (while it's still considered new) will be able to replace the old fluid near the wheels themselves.

Besides, if the fluid is that old, then you would probably have a relatively high concentration of moisture in the old fluid causing reduced braking power. The best bet would be to flush the system with new fluid.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Lost Pup

Here is mine old fluid.

It looks like you have Mityvac 7201 and Brake Bleeding Accessory. How easy it is to flush the brake system with Brake Bleeding Accessory ? What is the part number of your Brake Bleeding Accessory ?

Click Here For My Mity Vac Info Post

Last edited:
mori - It's not a few weeks of work, it is a total of a few clean and simple minutes.

You wanted, and I quote, "suck and fill every week for a few weeks."

Never did I say your proposition meant "a few weeks of work." I said it was "entertainment" -- as if you are bored and have nothing better to do than play around with the brake fluid for, and I quote, "every week for a few weeks." You go do that, I won't do it.
grin2.gif

In addition; I would add that since brake fluid is hydroscopic the new baster fluid will pull any moister from the old fluid. I do this baster change once a year and a coplete 4 caliper flush when doing a pad replacement.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
brake fluid is hydroscopic

Brake fluid is hygroscopic. Hydroscopic relates to observing what's beneath the surface of water. For example, a hydroscopic examination is performed with a hygroscope, for example when treasure hunting in shallow water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back