Aircooled VW Flat-4!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Duratec's or anything designed by Mazda

Even the Rotary?!?!?!
18.gif

lol

Thought about the rotary after I posted. But some have racked alot of miles on rotary's with proper maintenance.. or alot of maintenance one of the two.

Originally Posted By: mpvue

I have to add, I disagree w/ the mazda fans. now, I DO like mazdas (on my 4th one), but I don't think they make the best engines. the 2.5 V6 in my '94 626's were ridiculous; only 162hp IIRC, 25mpg hwy (maybe) and req premium fuel! leaky valve cover gaskets less than 60K. I did like them, but I would do a 4cyl next time.

You are correct on the mileage, mazda isn't that great. However we never ran anything but 87 octane in the 2.5 V6, seemed to like it just fine. So far, its got the record in my family for most mileage with the least problems, but I guess we don't drive to much compared to some.
Ian

I have to disagree on the saturn comment also. the SOHC 1.9 has known head cracking issues, besides the oil consumption problem. yes, it has a chain, but they WILL fail when the oil is neglected.
the DOHC 1.9 only has the oil problem, the head is reliable. simple ignition, easy to work on also.

That's true. The SOHC can develop cracked heads. Not a problem on the DOHC engines. A member at saturnfans.com has 545k miles on his original DOHC engine, although I think it burns a quart every 200 miles!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: GMFan

I have to disagree on the saturn comment also. the SOHC 1.9 has known head cracking issues, besides the oil consumption problem. yes, it has a chain, but they WILL fail when the oil is neglected.
the DOHC 1.9 only has the oil problem, the head is reliable. simple ignition, easy to work on also.

That's true. The SOHC can develop cracked heads. Not a problem on the DOHC engines. A member at saturnfans.com has 545k miles on his original DOHC engine, although I think it burns a quart every 200 miles!
shocked2.gif

I believe the DOHC to be the stronger of the two, but I used a SOHC SL1 as a taxi years back before it blew a head gasket and around 450k miles.

In my experience the ones that ended up with a cracked head came from extreme oil starvation. Almost everyone I knew with the cracked head was a woman that would run it until the oil light came on (by then it was 2 - 2 1/2 quarts low. In an oil burning engine like that you have to keep an eye on the dipstick, and lets face it, most people don't.

Originally Posted By: kingrob
Originally Posted By: GMFan

shocked2.gif

I believe the DOHC to be the stronger of the two, but I used a SOHC SL1 as a taxi years back before it blew a head gasket and around 450k miles.

In my experience the ones that ended up with a cracked head came from extreme oil starvation. Almost everyone I knew with the cracked head was a woman that would run it until the oil light came on (by then it was 2 - 2 1/2 quarts low. In an oil burning engine like that you have to keep an eye on the dipstick, and lets face it, most people don't.

+1, well said kingrob. I know a ton of folks with SOHC Saturns that routinely have 250K+ on them. A relative has a 99 SOHC and he is working on 275K as we speak with original transmission, etc.

You have to check the oil on these, plain and simple.

Better yet would be to modify the question to exclude any engine that hasn't been in production for more than 10 years.

Sheesh.... after looking at some of the antiques mentioned in some of these replies, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the International 392.

Cummins 5.9
Ford 300I6
Jeep I6
Toyota I6
Toyota 22R
Mercedes Diesel in the 240D and 300D
Ford 4.6
Chevy's 5.3 seems good so far!

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Better yet would be to modify the question to exclude any engine that hasn't been in production for more than 10 years.

Chrysler slant 6. Produced 1959-2000
Chrysler 318. Produced 1967-2002

These would still qualify.

I certainly second the Ford 4.9L I6 and the Ford Vulcan 3.0 V6. Probably the Chevy Stovebolt six.

I have my doubts about any OHC engine that runs a chain being that resistant to abuse, especially low oil abuse.

225 CI Slant6, 4.0 Jeep, Red Block Volvo I4. These engines will do 300,000 with reasonable care. I notice all of them are iron block & heads. I'm not aware of any AL engines that routinely go for 300,000 miles in normal driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back