90k, what kind of additives should i be using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neon gets incredibly horrible gas mileage, somewhere in the area of 18-20 city, compared to what its rated for at 24 - 29, the car has about 90,000 miles on it now, and ive done regular maintenance on it since i had the car from 60k, however i dont normally put fuel additives in for injector cleaner.

Do you have any recommendations as to what i should use, and what i should worry about with using any kind of additives?

safe for all components even if they are high in miles? i dont want somthing to fail because of the additive and how old the components in the car are getting

Gumout regane - use it with confidence. Don't expect a miracle, but it will help. 90k is nothing, put another 90 on it and you can still use the regane without worry.

well she just had a tuneup over the summer, if theres somthing else wrong, i cant narrow down the source

+1 for the Redline SI-1. It is a great product.

Use the whole bottle for the first time. It will clean your injectors very well. Then you can do half a bottle every 3000 miles or so, or just add a couple Oz to you tank at every fill up.

Perhaps SeaFoam or GM TEC clean that sucker once, change the oil out, and then go with Redline SI-1 or Gumout Regane, which are great additives. Figuring out whether to go on a shock treatment regiment every x,xxx miles or going with a maintenance dose in every tank is what I wonder about though.

im a tad bit concerned i have a bad valve seal in one of the cylinders as well, anything to be concerned about if i were to use seafoam or autorx?

Have you changed your air filter? Have you checked the PSI in your tires? Both can affect mileage.

As for the Auto rx, it would be a great idea and will not hurt a thing. I use fuel power plus and add 2 oz at every fill up and have had no problems with my autos. (97 jeep grand chrokee 4.0 w 128k and 1997 cavailer with 205k)

Last edited:
My guess is at 90,000 miles the engine is just old and worn producing less compression and power, requiring a heavier foot to get and keep it moving, hence the lower fuel mileage you are seeing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wn1998
Have you changed your air filter? Have you checked the PSI in your tires? Both can affect mileage.

As for the Auto rx, it would be a great idea and will not hurt a thing. I use fuel power plus and add 2 oz at every fill up and have had no problems with my autos. (97 jeep grand chrokee 4.0 w 128k and 1997 cavailer with 205k)

yeh i do regular maintenance on the car, air filter, oil change, spark plugs etc etc, everything short of physical engine repair.

One more vote here for Auto-Rx in the engine, transmission, and power steering. Follow the directions exactly. You'll find much of your missing power and fuel economy. At 90k, be sure to renew ALL the fluids in the car if you plan on keeping it much longer.

In the fuel system, the engine internals, steering, brakes, cooling system, it is possible and very desirable to clean everything to near-new and keep it that way. Power, economy, reliability, and longevity will all improve.

A new oxygen sensor and a good tune-up, synthetic oil of your choice. Tire pressures up a bit. Check wheels for drag.
Maybe an Italian tune-up after all that.

everyone keeps suggesting autorx, what exactly is that?

and yes ive done the oxygen sensor already, and for oil i use pure one filters with castrol gtx 10w-30, tire pressure i check monthly and keep it at the optimal psi for my tire size according to the door sticker, just had new control arms+bushings put in and had a wheel alignment however one of my strut bearings is bad on the drivers side

Originally Posted By: qship1996
My guess is at 90,000 miles the engine is just old and worn producing less compression and power, requiring a heavier foot to get and keep it moving, hence the lower fuel mileage you are seeing.

yes this is correct
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back