Closest modern day size to a 6.00x16?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a little more detail: Year, make and model of the vehicle.

The problem here is that there were 2 types of 6.00-16's: One for cars, and one for trucks.

In trucks, the problem is the narrow rim. A 6.00-16 requires a 4 1/2" rim - no range, just a single entry. It's 28.8" in diameter and 6.8" wide. It carries 1430# at 45 psi (LR C), 1690# @ 60 (LR D), or 1920# @ 75 (LR E). (only SRW entries listed)

The smallest 16" currently available is an LT215/85R16 and it requires a rim width a 5 1/2" to 7", has a diameter of 30.4" and a width of 9.3", with load capacities of 1940# @ 50 psi (LR C), and up to 3000# @ 95 psi for LR F. (only SRW entries listed)

For cars, A P205/70R16 requires a rim width range of 5" to 7" with a diameter of 27.3" and a width of 8.2" with a load capacity of 1565# at 35 psi. My books don't go back far enough to list the passenger car loads for the 6.00-16, so I'll have to use the archive at work.

You should be aware that Coker tire sells tires for vintage vehicles.

So while you're telling us about the vehicle, I'll go look up the stuff in the archive.

Last edited:
Capri-

You've already told me most of what I need to know, with the measurements of the old tire,

This won't be used on the road, this is for a piece of antique farm equipment.

Close will be fine, since this is a tire that I will go to the salvage yard to get. It won't even really need to be able to hold air on its own, as I'll be putting a tube in it. After about what I'm guessing is 60 years, the old "Atlas" brand tire finally gave up.

I'm guessing that a P215/70R-16 will be about as close as I can get in an easily available "modern" tire.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Capri-

You've already told me most of what I need to know, with the measurements of the old tire,

Close will be fine, since this is a tire that I will go to the salvage yard to get. It won't even really need to be able to hold air on its own, as I'll be putting a tube in it. After about what I'm guessing is 60 years, the old "Atlas" brand tire finally gave up.

I'm guessing that a P215/70R-16 will be about as close as I can get in an easily available "modern" tire.

What I tried to express is that truck tires can carry more load - and I'm guessing the original tire was like an 8 ply rating - which puts it in the "truck" range.

If all you are going to do is hold the vehicle up - FINE! But doing much more than that is an invitation to trouble.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

6.00 x 16 is still a current size for tractor tires.

They are used on the front.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
What I tried to express is that truck tires can carry more load - and I'm guessing the original tire was like an 8 ply rating - which puts it in the "truck" range.

If all you are going to do is hold the vehicle up - FINE! But doing much more than that is an invitation to trouble.

The old "Atlas" brand tire is nothing more than an 4 ply car tire.... and around 60+ years old at that. It wasn't an implement or truck style of tire.

And no, it won't be expected to carry a large amount of weight.... remember, this was a 60+ year old tire did just fine for many years. While putting air in it last week, the tube gave out.

The problem is that I don't think the tire will withstand the process of replacing the tube. I'm guessing the bead will fail as soon as the tire machine pulls it back over the edge of the rim.

However, I do appreciate and heed your concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back