Perhaps the best mower ever made!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It ain't that good....
LOL.gif
Honestly, I never liked lawnboys. Ugly IMO.

The 2008 Lawnboy Commercial with a Honda GSV 190 goes for $875.

I am a 2-cycle engine lover...and would buy it ; except I use a tractor and don't use a 21" mower.

The 2-cycle commercial would last a lifetime.

Last edited:
Those are excellent mowers, but that guy is about $600.00 to high. I've got two just like that one. One I use, the other is still in the factory box in my basement.

That was the last of the good Lawn Boy engines before Toro got ahold of them.

That thing would stall every 5 feet with how I keep my lawn. I let it get TALL before I muster up enough motivation to get it done, but my 6.5HP OHV Toro (non - Tecumsah) blows through the jungle without even a hint of rpm decline.

Last edited:
If one were to buy this new 2-cycle mower..are you "grand-fathered in"? I would assume all pre-"ban" 2-cycle mowers are fine.

Should I feel guilty of polluting if I did?

That's a great mower but $600 would be more appropriate, as Johnny said. If I had a whole lot more disposable income than I do, I'd probably pay the $1250. It's a shame what these hippies have done to the 2-cycle engine.

Originally Posted By: Pete591
If one were to buy this new 2-cycle mower..are you "grand-fathered in"? I would assume all pre-"ban" 2-cycle mowers are fine.

Should I feel guilty of polluting if I did?

Are 2 cycle engines banned in the States then ??

The 2 cycle engines pressured by EPA were forced to build cleaner burning engines. Right now Shindaiwa has stop production on certain models of their 2 cycle engines so what ever is on the market is just. I believe they have a 4 cycle coming out but the fuel will have the 2 cycle oil mixed also.

Honda also tried coming out with a 4 cycle engine but first production design was a failure. They are trying to thin out the 2 cycle small engines on the market.

EPA rulings:

Looking at overall exhaust, 2-stroke engines are responsible for 32% of all of the mobile source hydrocarbons! This is highly disproportionate to their use. Hydrocarbons, disproportionately emitted by 2-stroke engines, react with sunlight to form smog, particularly in hot, sunny weather. Smog irritates the respiratory system and can have serious health effects on people with lung disease or susceptibility to asthma. Breathing smog can cause permanent lung damage to children.

CURRENT U.S. EPA RULES ON VEHICLES AND EQUIPMENT USING 2-STROKE ENGINES
SNOWMOBILES:
EPA rule reduces hydrocarbons (HC) and carbon monoxide (CO) 30% starting in 2006, and 50% in 2012. The rule allows corporate averaging, and has no cap on individual engines.

JET-SKIS AND OUTBOARD MOTORS:
EPA rule required 9-year phase-in (beginning in 1998 through 2006) of 75% reductions in nitrogen oxides and hydrocarbons from new engines. The rule allows corporate averaging, and has no cap on individual engines.

** California has adopted standards that would reduce these emissions above 90% in 2009.

LAWNMOWERS:
EPA rules has two phases: Phase 1 required a 30-35% reduction in nitrogen oxides and hydrocarbons starting in 1997. Phase 2 is a 70% reduction phased in between 2003 and 2007. Phase 2 allows corporate averaging.

EPA Ruling for 2-stroke engines:

** California is in the process of adopting a stricter Phase 3 set of standards.

SNOWBLOWERS:
Snowblowers are exempt from meeting the small engine nitrogen oxides and hydrocarbons under a wintertime use exemption. There is a carbon monoxide standard that is not difficult to meet for either 2-stroke or 4-stroke engines.

Last edited:
Some outboards are still made in 2 stroke, but are generally limited to larger, higher horsepower sizes that allow for high tech devises that clean the engines up.
Direct injection giving the largest improvement.
Too costly for smaller engines.

Quote:
Are 2 cycle engines banned in the States then ??

I think the sale of 'em is pretty much kaput, but I sure hope the USE isn't!!!
27.gif
grin2.gif

Got a pile of Husky and Stihl chainsaws, and a LawnBoy, that'll have to go in the dumpster, if they are.
frown.gif

Too much $, but a still a bute! Drew do you really think a 2 cycle will stall before a 4 cycle........Uh there is ignition every how many cycles.......Granted, compression, HP and other factors are involved.

Does anyone own a direct inject two cylcle PWC or bike... are the pollutants any less?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back