1994 Diamondback handle bar placement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure if this is the way the handle bars are supposed to be positioned? This is the way they were set when I bought the bike.

Anyone have any comments on them

100_3479.jpg

100_3482.jpg

Nice bike, my 01 Diamondback Outlook still had a threaded headset.

The handlebars looks like it should be slightly lower. This allows easier and faster transition when you need to change gears or press the brakes. If it feels comfortable in that position then I would leave it as is. Just experiment which position feels the best, I suppose a good position is where your wrists don't bend too much downward or upward.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bike looks nicer in the picture than in person. Frame is kinda nicked up when I got it. If I really like the bike I might paint, or have the bike frame painted.

So tilted fwd is what you mean instead of back?

Nice bike! I like seeing old high-quality bikes in good condition.

The bars should probably be maybe 20 degrees above horizontal, but put them wherever they're comfortable for you. They're in kind of an old-man-riding-at-walking-speed position (extreme upright) right now.

Originally Posted By: rpn453
Nice bike! I like seeing old high-quality bikes in good condition.

The bars should probably be maybe 20 degrees above horizontal, but put them wherever they're comfortable for you. They're in kind of an old-man-riding-at-walking-speed position (extreme upright) right now.

those styles of bars have fallen out of favor, but most people just used them to sit more 'upright'. i used to set them up on the same plane as the stem, meaning, they are at the same angle as the stem.

I'd be more worried about the stem. The face plate sports only two bolts. If one bolt breaks it's bye-bye, oilboy. Now, there are those who say a face plate with two bolts is safer than one with four bolts, but if you tighten the four bolts properly and evenly to specs, you got a fail-safe.

The bar ends can add extra pain, should you do an endo.

I had bars like that on my hardtail and got sick of looking at them. I swapped to a medium riser bar and installed little short bar ends. Proved to be a good combo for me and the bike didn't look so 1990.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back