2003 Toyota Camry 4 cyl filter very small

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed my oil in my Camry using Pennzoil Platinum and a Mobil 1 filter. I was shocked that the filter is so small. It looks like a baby filter or something for a motorcycle!

Do they make "bigger" filters for these engines?

I used to own a 1988 Camry and it had the same filter .It was tiny but the engine lasted, I do not think it matters.

*yawn*

Just bought a 2.4L VVTi Camry for my wifey and I'm not worried about the size of the oil filter at all.

Just drive and be happy.

19.gif

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
*yawn*

Just bought a 2.4L VVTi Camry for my wifey and I'm not worried about the size of the oil filter at all.

Just drive and be happy.

19.gif

Q.

+1, just use what filter is spec'd and worry about other things.

Not worried so much as surprised. I don't think I would try extended oil runs with that filter however.

Don't need to worry too much IMHO, just fill it with high quality motor oil (doing an AutoRx at this moment dispite that the engine oil comes with 51400kms when bought a week ago) and drive.

Been on a Vee 6 (3VZ-FE) for so long that, with this counterbalanced 4 cyl, I'm genuinely surprised, if not amazed about the smoothness of this engine (has enough power to coast/cruise the winding N.Cali/S. Orgeon hilly terrain with ease).

The only thing I need to work on is the steering intermediate shaft replacement (as per ST001-06)

25.gif

Q.

The filter for the '98 Kia I used to maintain was the tiniest filter I've ever seen (Fram PH6607 size) and it kept chuggin along at over 120,000 miles when he sold it to his sister. We changed the oil every 5k with Mobil Clean 5000 or Exxon SuperFlo. Before that, he had it done at Wal-Mart. In other words, don't worry, it will still work
thumbsup2.gif

*sorry*

My eyesight is getting poorer each day...and I supposed to type "engine comes with 51400kms" but ended up with "oil" in it...

*sigh*

Q.

I have a 2.4 2AZ engine in my wife's Highlander...

Check my Thread here out... The Napa one is almost the same size as the OEM Toyota, while the Bosch is a tiny guy...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1244740#Post1244740

The size of the can should not matter, but its hard to convince yourself of that. There should be no problem using a filter that fits the required specs. Napa Gold or Pure One would be my picks for an OEM replacement.

The Firestone/Tires Plus filters that fit newer Nissan engines are pathetic in size. They appear to be 1/3 shorter than the already small OEM filter. These miniature filters fit certain newer Mitsubishi, Hyundai, and Honda products.

You're probably talking about the Fram PH6607 sized filter, right? I used those on my Nissan Altima and the Kia Sephia I used to maintain, never had any issues with them even for OCI's of more than 5,000 miles. I cut one open and the element was TINY though.

On my mom's Camry with the 2az-fe I sometimes use either the Motorcraft FL400s or a variant of it. No problems that I can tell.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
You're probably talking about the Fram PH6607 sized filter, right? I used those on my Nissan Altima and the Kia Sephia I used to maintain, never had any issues with them even for OCI's of more than 5,000 miles. I cut one open and the element was TINY though.

The --6607 looks like a toy.

Kia/hyundai owners rejoice, the factory filter is very robust with a thick heavy metal can and average outer size. Also comes with cool Korean writing.

For the typical Toyota 3/4x16 thread, 8-11 PSI bypass, you can upsize to 3614, 3600, and sometimes FL1A! Note that the gasket diameter increases slightly on all three bigger filters but reports from the field say the baseplate is machined wide enough it works great.

In this pic a stock size toyota filter is on the left, then 3614, 3600, and FL1A cross AA8A.

oilfilters.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back