Mobil 1 0W-40 versus 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I drive a VW Passat 1.8T, I use Mobil 1 0W-40, the only Mobil 1 with the VW 502.00 stamp of approval. In another forum, someone who is no longer on engine warranty suggested Mobil 1 5W-40, instead, because it is a bit more readily available to him, at a somewhat lower price.

I suspect, but do not know, that the only difference between Mobil 1 0W-40 and Mobil 1 5W-40 is pour point depressants, which aren't of much use to me in San Diego CA. Are there other differences between these two formulations? Is there any reason the 5W-40 should be either better or worse for a turbo in a very temperate climate, or does it really not matter?

Indeed the additive packages and the basestocks are different. Mobil 1 0w-40 has moly and will shear down to a 30wt oil by design for the first 10,000 miles. On the other had, the 5w-40 will stay in grade, lacks moly, and has a higher ester content than the 0w-40.

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
Indeed the additive packages and the basestocks are different. Mobil 1 0w-40 has moly and will shear down to a 30wt oil by design for the first 10,000 miles. On the other had, the 5w-40 will stay in grade, lacks moly, and has a higher ester content than the 0w-40.

One thing about the 0W-40 is though it does shear down initially..but then it thickens up..so by 5 or 6K miles its back in grade. That's my recollection. Which in my mind is why I'd rather have the Delvac (5W-40)

I have been keeping track of the so called thinning of Mobil One 0W-40. Out of 12 all but one had enough fuel dilution to drop the viscosity tested by one or two grades. Many are high output engines like Porsche and AMG Mercedes and others.

There does not appear to be any intrinsic thinning of Mobil One 0W-40.

aehaas

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:

Thanks for the detailed response.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
One thing about the 0W-40 is though it does shear down initially..but then it thickens up..so by 5 or 6K miles its back in grade. That's my recollection. Which in my mind is why I'd rather have the Delvac (5W-40)

Interesting ...

My experience on my latest crankcase fill is consistent with your statement: zero oil consumption during the first 1000 miles, then about 1/8 qt. during the next 1000. (These are probably doubly hard miles, due to the turbocharger and city driving.)

i can say that i had more consumption w/ M1 0w-40 than ive ever had w/ GC 0w-30! of course, it was only like a 1/4 of a quart with M1 0w-40. after 5K miles, M1 5w-40 had no consumption after 5K miles as well.

now im not saying that M1 0w-40 isnt as good ast he others. on the contrary its a great oil. ill prolly use it next if my autozone doesnt get in anymore GC. i also got the best fuel economy with M1 0w-40 with 25mpg in the city and almost 30 on the highway. now i get 20mpg (city) and 25-28 (highway). granted that was with summer fuel. also about 30K miles ago too.

FWIW:

-

Interesting how the Truck/Suv & Delvac 5w40 specs are identical.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back