Disposal of Bad Gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Hazmat collection is the fastest and best way to get rid of it. Or mix a little of it in at a time with your waste oil from oil changes. It will take some time to get rid of it that way, but its been around for years anyway. I did that with 2+ gallons I had sitting in a gas tank for an outboard engine. Took me two oil changes on my 3 car fleet to get rid of all of it.

Frank D

Hmmmm, maybe just for fun, I'll dump a bunch into my next batch of used oil, and then send a sample to Blackstone, just to see what they come back with...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I still like the idea of burning it by feeding it to your BBQ slowly.
wink.gif

Otherwise, I guess you'll have to find your local county dump and see if they can take care of your needs.

I think I'm going to call the county hazmat guys. Alas, I have a hard time envisioning how gasoline is going to make a positive contribution to the flavor of the steaks or chicken I cook up on the grill.

I would not use it in anything either. I had an antique car and the old gas caused the valves to stick. I would mix it w/waste oil like the others said. It makes good grass killer along your fenceline too.

google for: household hazardous waste
followed by the nearest metro area.

I just tried this and the first result was a county hazardous waste office.

So what is so bad about burning it? Various vehicles do it all the time. Much better than pouring it on the ground.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
So what is so bad about burning it?...

Well for one thing, it's very dangerous. I knew a guy years ago who almost died from an accident involving burning old gas. While pouring the gas, he didn't realize that quite a bit had spilled onto his lower legs. The guy burned his legs, infection set in, and he spent a month in the hospital, much of it in a coma. The doctors didn't expect him to live through it. Ironically, after recovering, the guy drank himself to death a few years later.

You could use if for week killer. Works great on fence rows.

Or, you could pour a gallon in your auto's gas tank and fill it it up. That shouldn't cause anything horrible to happen. Repeat as required.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Originally Posted By: ZZman
So what is so bad about burning it?...

Well for one thing, it's very dangerous. I knew a guy years ago who almost died from an accident involving burning old gas. While pouring the gas, he didn't realize that quite a bit had spilled onto his lower legs. The guy burned his legs, infection set in, and he spent a month in the hospital, much of it in a coma. The doctors didn't expect him to live through it. Ironically, after recovering, the guy drank himself to death a few years later.

Which sort of reminds me of the summer from my youth when all the neighborhood boys, including me, spent all our rec time fighting tennis ball cannon wars. These "activities" continued into the fall after school started, just confined to the afternoons. One day, I had to stay late for some meeting or another, and when I came home a couple hours late, I noticed the plethora of fire trucks all in between the houses along my street, and the deep ruts in the grass from the trucks that had gone farther. I lived on a country highway, and there was a deep stand of woods behind all our backyards. On the one day when I wasn't there "playing," they had managed, with the gasoline fueled cannons, to start a forest fire that destroyed a couple acres of woods, and almost burned down a couple houses.

Now, this wasn't entirely the fault of the gasoline. It took some heavy doses of stupidity and a couple very dry pine trees to complete the picture...
wink.gif
shocked2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back