NOT switching...I'm an idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I'm glad to read of Cowhorse1's decision. Not because I love or hate Amsoil, but because so very few people actually do fiscal analysis and apply UOA's and extended OCI's in a sensible manner. Most often, people become too emotional about their oil selection; a few of these posts are the case in point. One man's trash is another man's treasure, that's all.

Let us debate; not berate. I would ask that we don't stray into the "you become a XXXX when you drive a YYYY and not a ZZZZ".

No offense taken at all. Just a couple guys on a forum talkin' smack.

Now let's gang up on that Schaeffer's crowd! They seem so satisfied. I think they need to come down a peg or two......

can I get a "he** yeah"? Schaeffer's is the worst oil EVER....discuss.
28.gif
35.gif

For the record, I really like Schaeffer's. I just wish it was easier to find. It's one of those oils that if I could walk into a parts store and pick it up off the shelf I'd probably run it quite a bit.

As for Royal Purple, I mix it with Redline and get Royal Pinkline.

Originally Posted By: kingrob
For the record, I really like Schaeffer's. I just wish it was easier to find. It's one of those oils that if I could walk into a parts store and pick it up off the shelf I'd probably run it quite a bit.

As for Royal Purple, I mix it with Redline and get Royal Pinkline.

grin2.gif

Yeah, I know. But consider my routine: I wake up on my day off and go hmmmm, time to change some oil. Then I drive to the store and get what I need. That's been my routine for years and I almost always have less than a quart on hand. Part of the "fun" to me is actually picking out what oil I'm using (yeah that's lame); so if Schaeffer's was actually right there in front of me, I'd probably pick it up more. It's been a few years since I ran it, I had about ten taxi's in a mixed fleet and it was the only synthetic I tried that didn't shear down or burn excessively. It had a good value per cost, as Cowhorse was pointing out about his use of Amsoil. As much as I like changing oil, keeping up with about fourteen or fifteen cars was just too much! But I still didn't let them go over 15 K between changes which on those cabs was about four or five months. I just don't "trust" a synthetic to go that long. (I know, I'm crazy.)

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: lazaro

so worried about me? your a stand up guy!
nice to see I get ur dander up.

Nice that you did not comment/answer *any* of what I spoke of.

Thanks for proving my points.

Case closed.

you want to have the last word no matter what gets said why waste the time?
I know I make goose bumps grow on you as you read this now.
Bill your opinion makes people wonder if they are doing it right, dont change a thing! could you run for office in 2012?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Quote:
There is a notable difference between the information provided by somebody who, while having a vested interest in a product they sell, will lay it on the line and discuss FACTUAL data, like yourself. And somebody who pushed propaganda and outright tripe in a manner that is, well, quite frankly, outrageous.

so that means me, correct?
please post up a few of my over the top claims!
anything I post I can back up.
Quote:
It is people like the latter that put many people off their interest in AMSOIL. I think the attitudes and opinions expressed in this thread in response to lazaro's posts reflect that well.
Hippocrates There are in fact two things, science and opinion the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance

Quote:
Arnold Glasgow- The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion
you have a strong opinion yes?
Quote:
Oliver Wendell Holmes-To obtain a man's opinion of you, make him mad
you always follow my lead, or better put, my (censored) trail

Instead of randomly quoting people to make yourself sound educated, how about responding to me directly?

I run Amsoil products. I run Exxon-Mobil products. I have had great luck with both. But I don't make outrageous claims for either. Nor do I JUMP on other forum members because they have made a suggestion.

As you asked:

I dont use expensive DIRTOIL oil

Do you use the Amsoil XL-series oil? If so, it's group III.

Amsoil is cheaper the second you pour it in your vehicle.

Bill's data completely contradicts this with the mileage he has accumulated using nothing other than what is on sale.

Amsoil is cheaper.

No, M1 TDT is cheaper for me, even at dealer pricing.

less wear

There are many oils, just as RLI, Redline, M1, Delvac 1 that have shown as good or better wear results in various engines on here. In lower-mileage tests, there have been conventional oils with extremely good UOA's.

less fuel used

Our Expedition has had no change in fuel economy running Amsoil over Mobil 1. Buster had no increase in fuel mileage using SSO.

ditch the liquid dirt oil and buy a NON PETROLIUM product

Amsoil's XL series is Group III. That's petroleum. Whoops. PAO is BASED on Petroleum, it is the the Group V stuff, what Redline uses, as well as RLI that is ester-based.

my 1991 Taurus SHO eats 3 quarts in 10,000 miles, how is that hurting my engine?

But....

say anything you want, Amsoil is cheaper. less wear, less waste oil

And....

I have too many people who have new vehicles that dumped the factory fill and put in AMSOIL and at 25,000 miles the oil is still clean and not a drop was used. that is about 5 new vehicles that all react the same, no oil compsumption and great MPG! why would you want to change that?

You are not one of the people with zero consumption then?

Listen, I'm NOT trying to bust your balls here. I'm NOT trying to be a ****. I am simply trying to get across the fact that the information you post comes across with far too much zeal. If you can come to grips with that and perhaps work on changing that, people would not be so quick to react to your posts in the manner which has occurred in this thread.

your asking me to change the person that I am.
thanks for your concern.
I cant change how things are presented to me, I especially dont like
Mechanics who stress 3 month oil changes or else, but if you mention extended drain intervals, all of the sudden I am the Idiot who does not have any clue and is making false claims.

I have an opinion based on 20 years of putting my cash out there in the market keeping my own vehicles and my parents vehicles running.
15 years ago I was a IDIOT changing oil out every month and I felt proud of taking care of my vehicle.
that is until I realized that maybe another product of lubricant could last longer, I wanted to know.
so I purchased a case of royal purle and poured it in my 1967 Mustang fastback, that at that time had a 428CJ inside.
I turned the key and that was the last time I paid cash for any peTROLLeum.
I learned that day that lowering the idle on my engine was due to less FRICTION.
it was easy for me to see the difference.
So I decided to see of all the synthetic oil companies out there wich one was the best. I found what I think is the best and the rest is history.

Amsoil is cheaper the second you pour it in your vehicle.
Quote:

Bill's data completely contradicts this with the mileage he has accumulated using nothing other than what is on sale.

Bill is a guy that goes by the book, especially his owners manual for his vehicle.
He also like to test things out too.
He will follow the vehicle manufacture advice on oil changes, but he wont follow the oil manufacture minimum oil drain interval for using Amsoil. so how can his test be at all viable?
Quote:

so I would like to know if Amsoil xl series has more or less grpIII by volume in a quart bottle than lets say M1 ep?
the answer to that question better be answered br a tribologist!
Quote:
Our Expedition has had no change in fuel economy running Amsoil over Mobil 1. Buster had no increase in fuel mileage using SSO.

did any of those intervals go for at least 15,000 miles?

Originally Posted By: cowhorse01
All I was trying to say in this thread is that I figured it doesn't help me to switch cost wise or other. I will be sticking with Amsoil. I get great UOA's and yes, I did get better mpg's when I first made the switch. That's all........cheers!

you could be posting false claims! or worse unfactual!
I said something similar awhile back and this is what I get from the posters here like Steve
Quote:
Bill you ought to know about the increase in MPGs you get from Amsoil. I have posted before you too can get the same increases in MPGs if you become a dealer ,,, That is the secret.

Originally Posted By: Bambam
Originally Posted By: pickled
Excellent posts Overk1ll and Doug. There is a place for every oil and every oil has its place...it's that simple.

X2

lazaro,didn't you do a 40k oci and only use 10 gallons??

yes I did, I used up ten gallons with initial fill and added oil as I needed and changed the filters 2x in 5 years that I used the truck. Ford F250 7.3idi diesel.

Quote:

so I would like to know if Amsoil xl series has more or less grpIII by volume in a quart bottle than lets say M1 ep?
the answer to that question better be answered br a tribologist!

Doug Hillary (who seems to have a huge pile of connections at Exxon-Mobil) has stated that any grades of M1 with Supersyn on the label are PAO based. That's pretty much all of them.

Amsoil's XL series is group III BASED, this is a well-known FACT and they make no attempts at hiding that. Similar to how PP, and Syntec are Group III based. This means it's PETROLEUM based.

I think this shows that there is a lot more to what defines an oil or type of oil than just what the base-stock is....

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

did any of those intervals go for at least 15,000 miles?

Not for the Expedition. We go 12,000Km per OCI. What does the mileage have to do with it? I am stating that during the period the oil has been in the engine, we have noticed no increase in fuel economy in this vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
Lay off lazro. Bill in Utah is a well respected member here who shouldn't have to keep responding to your troll posts.

Let it go man.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Bill would get my vote.

Thanks guys.

He is a troll who can not come up with any data, just 25 year old quotes.

Sadly he turns off people to Amsoil and hurts our site sponsors.

I'm done with this thread, he can post all the garbage and who cares about the boards reputation.

Thanks again, Bill

Excellent posts Overk1ll and Doug. There is a place for every oil and every oil has its place...it's that simple.

X2

yes I did, I used up ten gallons with initial fill and added oil as I needed and changed the filters 2x in 5 years that I used the truck. Ford F250 7.3idi diesel.

How many quarts/gallons on the initial fill? If it were 2 gallons,using 8 in five years seems excessive , NO?

10 gallons / 2 = 5 changes ,so in essence a change per year.

Quote:
kingrob
As for Amsoil, I used it waaaay back when it was another name (Someone help me out here) and ran it for 5,000 miles on an old Plymouth Gran Fury. Well, two of the six quarts were burnt off in a week. Added two more and they too were gone in a week. I used the remaining four quarts in a (at the time) brand new Cavalier with less than ten thousand miles on it, INSTANT valve cover leak. I kept topped off the Plymouth with Havoline and never looked back, changed the gasket in the Cavalier and wondered how I got suckered into buying that cruddy oil.

thank you for posting that information, this is why people get a bad taste of a product not understanding how it is supposed to perform.
back when you used it waaay back "I wonder if if bill in utah was playing with high quality dino products?" anyway we all know dino oil was very poor quality, not one american sold oil could pass the european motor oil testing NOACK 25 years ago
Quote:
The NOACK volatility (ASTM D-5800) Test determines the evaporation loss of lubricants in high temperature service. A maximum of 15 percent evaporation loss is allowable to meet API SL and ILSAC GF-3 specifications
For example, before July 1, 2001, 5W-30 motor oil in the United States could lose up to 22 percent of its weight and still be regarded as "passable." Now, with GF-3, the maximum Noack volatility for API licensing is 15 percent. European standards limit high quality oils to a maximum of 13 percent loss.

now you mentioned you used in in a vehicle that used mucho oil, and back then at $5 bucks a quart you couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Why? you never really explained or understood what was happening.
Let me help cause today in 2008 people still put SA SB quality oils in cars cause it is $2 a quart,"hopefully nobody reading this does that?" anyway back when you used Amsoil for a very short time you were not impressed. where does one put blame? you said it was cruddy oil that causes high consumption and makes valve cover gaskets leak.
is that really a fair assessment of the product? NO it is not, the previous cars engine history is to blame. many people think they buy Amsoil and it is an instant fix to all problems, many of us know this is not accurate, any engine with poor maintenance record will not be the best candidate for any extended drain interval with any oil.
If I pour in $44.50 5 quarts of 5w30 Amsoil inside of any engine that is contaminated with varnish and sludge and the engine uses a quart of oil in 3000 miles that means the oil is poor quality?
I dont think so, the oil has a job to do and if you left it in for 20,000 miles and added 6 quarts one every 3000 miles you will still be ahead, at $97.90 11 quarts at 8.90 each... 1) because you didn't have to drain oil for the duration and 2) cause it was cheaper than 6 oil changes at $20
now if one could only hold the emotions to the side and let the oil do it's job....

X2

How many quarts/gallons on the initial fill? If it were 2 gallons,using 8 in five years seems excessive , NO?

10 gallons / 2 = 5 changes ,so in essence a change per year.

I bought initially 10 gallons and used 4 gallons initially, my truck uses 16 quarts to fill 7.3 diesel, I added dual filter setup with the large be110 bypass.
I added oil when needed and I changed the filters a few times over the five years, I hope this clears up things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back