Please recommend a high quality 16GB SDHC card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want either two 8 or two 16 GB SDHC cards on my N800. Is the Patriot Signature Line any good? I see the 16 GB SDHC card for $39 online.

Please do not recommend SanDisk. While their cards are great, their CS is just too bad and I refuse to put up with it.

6 is not so fast. 15 or 30MB/s is the new hotness. I just received a Transcend 16GB SDHC "class 6" speed card today with "complimentary" USB reader for $38 free (slow) shipping from Amazon.com It's doing great with pictures and video we are trying this evening with new HD 12 MP camera. Fast card.

Hoodman is the brand to get:

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/

They are down in Torrance, IIRC, and you actually talk to someone if you call. The cards are made in the USA (at least finished).

The problem with big cards is that if you get corruption, you risk loosing everything. In reality, swapping out a few cards is superior, so if one gets damaged or whatnot, the rest of your work is maintained.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Fast card.

You say that 6 MB/s is not so fast, but then you call the Transcend "class 6" fast when "class 6" = guaranteed sustained DTS of 6 MB/s?

Ok guys. Since SanDisk is ruled out, I'll skip the recommendation of that here.

The minimum performance is the SD Speed Class, this guarantee the worst case scenario of the performance of the card.

The advertised 133x or 30MB/S is the maximum performance in FAT file system under continuous large data write.

Usually the worst case scenario is important/vital for video mode or camcorder. Best case scenario is good enough for most digital camera application.

Too bad you dislike SanDisk's customer service, I do see a secret access mode that is Nikon specific in our SD Extreme III card designed specificly for Nikon access (a secret handshake).

For better reliability I'd pick at least something that has an SD Speed Class rating, that usually means the card wouldn't get hiccup between large amount of data. This also is a very effective way to weed out the junk cards from the good ones.

Well maybe I'm not the expert on this topic (obviously). But it sure seems fast to me. I was thinking class 6 was higher, like 15mb/s. Shows how little I actually know about the subject.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Well maybe I'm not the expert on this topic (obviously). But it sure seems fast to me. I was thinking class 6 was higher, like 15mb/s. Shows how little I actually know about the subject.

Well, "Class 6" only specifies the minimum, but it very well may be that this Transcend surpasses that minimum. Looking at one of the reviews on Amazon, it appears that it's actually capable of much higher transfer speeds.

Thanks for the heads up, by the way. Now you're making me consider this card.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Please do not recommend SanDisk. While their cards are great, their CS is just too bad and I refuse to put up with it.

Does CS = customer service?

I'm in the same boat, looking for a 16GB SDHC card. I like Sandisk and have a TON of SanDisk stuff that gives me great service. (I've got a Cruzer Titanium 1GB stick that's been thru the wash at least once, dropped, kicked, rained on, etc., and still works great.)

But the SanDisk 16GB SDHC cards seem to be twice the price of other cards!

I'll pay 2X if the card is worth it.

thanks,
b

These cards are not for a camera. In case of digital cameras I know what to use.
wink.gif

I want high capacity cards for my Nokia N800 internet tablet. The point about large cards going belly up is well taken, but not a big deal, compared to a card in my camera dying. The card for the N800 would hold files that are just copies and not originals. If the card goes, so be it. All cards must die.
grin2.gif

Regarding write speed, the card must be fast enough to let me play movies smoothly. The N800 has two slots for SD or SDHC cards (also mini cards with adaptor). I tried a Kingston 2 GB SD card (I don't know the specs) that I had and it worked fine with movie files. I believe SDHC cards transfer data slower than simple SD cards? What minimum speed do I need in a 8 GB and in a 16 GB SDHC card? I suppose 3 MB/sec (20x) is sufficient?

I believe SDHC cards transfer data slower than simple SD cards?

I don't believe that is correct.

Quote:

What minimum speed do I need in a 8 GB and in a 16 GB SDHC card? I suppose 3 MB/sec (20x) is sufficient?

That will be plenty fast. Take a typical 90-minute DivX movie that takes up about 700 MB of space (relatively high quality). That's equivalent to about 0.13 MB/sec. Even at much higher bit rates you shouldn't have any problems.

I have a USB flash drive that barely manages 2 MB/sec transfer and I can play any movie from it without a slightest hiccup.

Pete, I thought a lower capacity SD card could transfer data generally faster than a higher capacity SDHC card could. I am probably wrong, though. It's all just way out of my field of expertise and interest. That's why I come up with those silly questions in the first place.

mori, I don't claim to be an expert on SD cards either, :) but if I read this SD Card Specification document (see Section 3.4) right, it is actually the SDHC card that is mandated to support Class 2 speed at a minimum. Standard SD card has no such mandate.

At the same time, some SDHC cards support speeds of Class 6 which is the highest class currently defined. That would make them at least as fast as the standard SD cards. Honestly, I haven't even seen standard SD Class 6 cards, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

In any case, standard SD cards are on their way out since their capacities are limited. It wouldn't make sense for the industry to design higher capacity cards but at the same time kill the transfer speeds, IMO.

I'd get a few 8 gig cards instead of 1 16 gig. You would have to take so many photos to even fill a 8 gig. spread the love over a few cards just in case...

And I'll comment about Sandisk and their so called Customer service. I'm right now spending WAY too much time trying to get warranty service on a 56 day old MP3 player I bought my Daughter.

It has been over 2 weeks since I called them. They make a account for you and you follow their instructions via email and this account.

They have asked for proof of purchase for the player, no problem since I bought it online from NewEgg.com I foward the invoice to their [email protected] with your RMA case number in the subject line...

Done this now 5 times with 2 different email accounts.

This is the reply they just came up with....

Quote:
We have verified to our RMA department that they were able to receive the proof of purchase but unfortunately they still don't have it.

huh? You got it but don't have it....

So I've sent it again. And then wait. After 10 days their "support" system closes out the RMA/Warranty claim.

You get to start it back up again.

Then you get these emails....

Quote:
Dear Bill:

A response to your SanDisk Customer Support Request #....... is now posted in your eBox at the SanDisk web site.

For your convenience, please click on the link below to log in to your eBox for your answer. Your login and password to this account are as follows:

Login: [email protected]
Password: xxxxxxxxxxx

Use this link to access your eBox. Click here to log in

Kind Regards,
SanDisk Customer Support

And so on and so on.

I've had to get customer service before and never had the frustration that I've had here.

I own 4 of these SanDisk players and this is the first one that has had issues.

But I will not buy another. (and I was thinking of getting about 6 of them for my family this Christmas)

Thanks for letting me vent. (sorry Pandabear, I know it is not you
cheers3.gif
)

Bill

PS:I do have a few Sandisk SDHC cards with never a problem. I just got a couple of Kingston 8 gig cards for $20 incl shipping. Work great in the D60 and D80.

It looks like comparing the speed of SD and SDHC cards may be difficult. In the case of SD cards, the speed is maximum speed, in the case of SDHC cards it is a minimum sustained data transfer speed.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I'd get a few 8 gig cards instead of 1 16 gig. You would have to take so many photos to even fill a 8 gig.

I've said that already two or three times, I am NOT using these cards in a camera!

Agreed on SanDisk's customer service. They can stick their products where the sun doesn't shine.

Quote:
It looks like comparing the speed of SD and SDHC cards may be difficult. In the case of SD cards, the speed is maximum speed, in the case of SDHC cards it is a minimum sustained data transfer speed.

Some SDHC cards show maximum speeds in their marketing materials as well, but that maxium speed is mostly that - marketing. It is not a sustained data transfer speed.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I'd get a few 8 gig cards instead of 1 16 gig. You would have to take so many photos to even fill a 8 gig.

I've said that already two or three times, I am NOT using these cards in a camera!

Agreed on SanDisk's customer service. They can stick their products where the sun doesn't shine.

Actually you said it only once.
grin2.gif
But still Duh is me...
06.gif

Orginal post:

Quote:
I want either two 8 or two 16 GB SDHC cards on my N800
I don't know what a N800 is. Thought it was a camera.

But you did spell it out the 2nd time. (which really was the first time since the N800 did not give me a clue)

Sorry, But had to vent on the CS "experience"...
smirk2.gif

Take care, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back