Older S9000 vs 229.51

Status
Not open for further replies.
greetings.

i just purchased a vehicle with the MB 3.0L diesel. it has a particulate filter, but is the pre-bluetec version. the oil spec is 229.51.

i bought a cases of schaeffer's 9000 in 5w40 about 2 years ago, for use in my racecar. the racecar has seen a lot fewer miles than anticipated, so i have shelves full of the 1 gallon 9000 containers, still. the oil i bought doesn't have any mention of SM, or 229.51, like what's currently listed on their website. does anyone know whether or not the older 9000 still meets the specs, or if the new 9000 is reformulated? i'd really like to avoid having to buy yet more cases when i still have gallons left.

thanks.

-michael

Quoted from a past Technical Bulletin.

#700 Supreme 700 SAE 15W-40 and #9000 Supreme 9000 which are formulated for heavy duty diesel use, even though they may meet the API Service Classification SL can not be used in today's passenger car, light truck and SUV gasoline engines, which specify the use of an engine oil that meets not only the API Service classification requirements SL or SM but also the requirements for either ILSAC GF-3 or GF-4. An engine oil that meets only the API Service Classifications SL and SM does not have any restrictions on phosphorus levels and sulfur levels
and are primarily designed for use in off-road applications such as racing or on vehicles that do not contain three-way catalytic converter systems such as motorcycles and ATVs. Heavy-duty
diesel engine oils such as #700 Supreme 7000 SAE 15W-40 and #9000 Supreme 7000 SAE 5W-40 generally have phosphorus levels of 0.11 to 0.15% by weight. The use of a heavy-duty diesel
oil in passenger cars from 1994 to current model years can result in a compromise of the emissions control systems durability and performance due to the potential poisoning of these systems by the high phosphorus levels. A extremely small amount of engine oil can always come into contact with the emissions systems due to either to normal oil consumption or the engine oil’s volatility characteristics. This high amount of phosphorus in the heavy-duty diesel engine oil can deactivate the noble metal catalysts by coating and building up on the active catalyst sites, causing irreversible damage that accumulates over time. As a result, increased levels of
harmful emissions such as NOX, carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons pass through the catalytic converter unchanged and into the atmosphere.
If and engine oil that meets CI-4/SL, CI-4 Plus or just API Service Classification SL or SM it should be used in older engines or those gasoline engines such as off-road, ATV, motorcycle or track racing applications or those gasoline engines that specify just the use of the API service
classifications SL or SM.

I would say that if you did not have that particulate filter on your diesel, you would have been fine with the oil on your shelf, but you are safer with a lower SAPS oil, mainly to conserve the life of your particulate filter.

That's right. The "official" policy is as above. Many have run this oil for many miles without any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back